Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Spare tire a necessity? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/60567-spare-tire-necessity.html)

Patch 01-02-2015 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=joshrx;815881]I've read that tyre shops hate the foam shit when they change the tyre but that's not really your problem at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

It's not so bad when it actually works (which in my experience seems to be rarely), but when it doesn't set, stinks out the whole place and makes an absolute mess of the tyre, rim and our tooling then we do kick up a fuss.

[QUOTE=JRecardo;815885]Yeah I ditched mine, it's only 17" and my wheels are now 18" so I don't even think it would serve a purpose now.[/QUOTE]

Rim diameter isn't important, it's the rolling diameter of the tyre that matters for a spare. A 17" rim and an 18" rim can have the same wheel rolling diameter if the tyre profiles are correctly selected (which should be done anyway to preserve speedo accuracy).

[QUOTE=AWDmoke;815897]Many new cars do not come with a spare at all.
Some have a can of foam, some (like the new MINI) have runflats.

The foam will leave a mess inside the tyre, but in reality once a low profile tyre has been driven on at all when flat, then any tyre shop will replace it & not repair it.[/QUOTE]

Toyota 86/BRZ stopped coming with spare wheels too. I haven't heard of low profile tyres being refused repair simply from being driven on flat either, whenever I've dealt with them it's been based on whether or not they show run flat damage.

McRooster 02-02-2015 06:11 AM

To be honest I wouldn't want to drive around without a spare tire even if it isn't required.

nauli 02-02-2015 12:48 PM

My Focus RS didn't have a spare...only the foam goop...OK for a puncture but useless for a split (eg catching a rock)...the first thing I did was go and buy a space saver spare for it....I would never drive around without a spare.

astralex 02-02-2015 01:52 PM

Getting a flat in a built up area without a spare is hardly concerning. I don't live even remotely close to suburbia and still have no qualms having no more than a can of goop in my boot.

Jacob92 02-02-2015 04:52 PM

My work ute blew a tyre on way to work today glad u had a spare

A line of tread delaminated made such a noise

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

REXXXED 02-02-2015 04:53 PM

My Cat's breath smells like Cat food

amtrapid 02-02-2015 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;816028]My work ute blew a tyre on way to work today glad u had a spare

A line of tread delaminated made such a noise

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

They usually delaminate when the tread does the magic trick of turning into smoke. Pity the smoke can't magically turn into new tyres lol

Sent from under my Dok Dok