Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Braking for MY09 Wrx monthly track warrior (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/62290-braking-my09-wrx-monthly-track-warrior.html)

SolarFilms 21-07-2015 07:45 PM

Braking for MY09 Wrx monthly track warrior

As some of you know I'm upgrading the brakes on my car 09 wrx.

So Im thinking DBA T3 4000 slotted Front and rear with Hc800 pads.

My question is what fluid i should be running Dot 4? And should I also upgrade the lines to be braided or is the fine tunning/personal preference I know the rubber ones expand alot under hard braking.

Was looking at MOTUL RBF600 also how much fluid will my car need 1 500ml bottle?

nick73 21-07-2015 08:26 PM

Those pads are too hard to run at the rear for daily use, they will squeal like pigs.

You will need a litre of fluid to do the flush. About half a bottle left over when we did mine.

I wouldn't bother with slotted rotors at the rear unless your current ones need replacing.

How often will you be doing track work? If you plan on doing it regularly you might want to go straight to the 5000 series rotor. Our cars are pretty heavy the brakes get very hot quickly.

My T34000's scalloped(warped whatever you want to call it) quickly after about seven rounds of the sprint series and needed machining. I wont be using them again.

If this is for two rotors and the pads it is a great deal.

[url=http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/products/dba-5000-t3-suit-subaru-wrx-08-14-with-project-mu-rc09-club-racer.html]DBA 5000 "T3" suit Subaru WRX 08-14 with Project Mu RC09 Club Racer - Pro Speed Racing[/url]

SolarFilms 21-07-2015 08:44 PM

Hm Monthly thing for me at the moment (maybe more in future) definitely nice interesting suggestion there nick.

thing is got decent corrosion and quite sufficient shattering under hard braking which I expect my stock ones are slightly wrapped.

From the reviews I was looking at hc800's will be quite unless bedded incorrectly have not bought them so i dunno...

is it worth runing a t3 allround set up? or just fronts are sufficient if i get the 2 piece rotors?

what is the split in cars typically? 80-90% of braking force is done infront and the rest is rear 10-20% ?

Tony 21-07-2015 08:53 PM

Have hc800's and rears dont make a sound. Fronts on the other hand, they end up squealing with lots of daily driving. When this happens a quick squirt down the road woth a few hard stops shuts them up.

nick73 21-07-2015 09:18 PM

Fair enough Tony, most track pads are a pain in the arse at the rear for daily use. Mine have been horrible so I just swap them in and out before/after each event.

nauli 22-07-2015 07:00 AM

DBA 5000 two piece front rotors, PMU or Pagid RS19/29 (or cheaper options Bendix Ultimate or ferodo DS2500), front pads, dot 4 fluid - Motul or Brembo. Leave rears as they are. Braided lines are good but not essential for a part time track car...but if you get some, buy quality (ie not cheap)...

nick73 22-07-2015 07:34 AM

Track once a month or more, start saving for brembo's.

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 08:53 AM

Yeah i wouldnt bother with upgrading the standard brakes. Get bigger like brembos.

JRecardo 22-07-2015 09:07 AM

You have two main options really.

1. Upgrading pads and rotors as per suggestions in this thread. You'll be looking at around $1k to do that. Should net you pretty decent braking performance.

2. Hold on to your money and scour the second hand market for a good deal on brembos. On a lucky day you could probably get calipers + 4000 rotors for $1k ish.

Everybody I spoke to with experience in racing our cars told me to ditch the stock calipers. Too small, don't dissipate enough heat, and no matter the pad/fluid/rotor combo they always faded away.

I've done a little bit of track work on my modest T2 rotors and ns400 pads and it was decent enough to get out and have a go with at least. Perhaps a setup like that to tide you over until you can get something better. Cost me something like $300 to do.

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 09:09 AM

Spend once.

amtrapid 22-07-2015 09:31 AM

Tracking once a month is actually quite often . Go Brembos or equivalent .

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 10:00 AM

If I could find decent brembos for 1k id be so happy.

Didn't want to spend over 1k on upgrading brakes as id blow my budget wont have money for coils or roll bars or any other goodies I've planned.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 10:10 AM

Then wait.

nick73 22-07-2015 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;827105]Spend once.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SolarFilms;827109]If I could find decent brembos for 1k id be so happy.

Didn't want to spend over 1k on upgrading brakes as id blow my budget wont have money for coils or roll bars or any other goodies I've planned.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

On the money Russ.

The amount of money I have wasted so far on pointless mods....

If I could do it all again I would just buy Pagids/dba5000's and a pallet of A050's.

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 10:14 AM

Oooooooo shiny.

[url]http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/brakes-suspension/endless-6-piston-brakes-suit-wrx-sti/1082684701[/url]

RichX 22-07-2015 10:28 AM

I would do that ^^, and throw an offer in at $1500.

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 10:34 AM

Doubt they are road legal. If you really are planning on doing lots of track work, you should seriously consider selling and getting an sti.

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;827114]Doubt they are road legal. If you really are planning on doing lots of track work, you should seriously consider selling and getting an sti.[/QUOTE]

No chance would loss alot of dosh and sentimental value I said to myself Id keep this car as long as possible.

Might be a wiser move. But i aint doing it :)

might just save for [url]http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/products/brembo-front-and-rear-sti-black-brand-new.html[/url]

whats the deal with brake conversation with the wrx what rotors do I buy?

Goosey 22-07-2015 10:56 AM

Firstly make sure your wheels are big enough to fit the brakes under them (without a spacer). I don't think anyone here would recommend using a spacer on the track.

Secondly you'll need rotors (2002-2004 sti rotors for the front and 2008+ sti dual drilled rears which dba do).

You'll need to trim your dust shields as well.

Also, you'll need cash.

Good luck with the upgrade!

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=SolarFilms;827116]No chance would loss alot of dosh and sentimental value I said to myself Id keep this car as long as possible.

Might be a wiser move. But i aint doing it :)

might just save for [url=http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/products/brembo-front-and-rear-sti-black-brand-new.html]Brembo Front and Rear STI Black, Brand new - Pro Speed Racing[/url]

whats the deal with brake conversation with the wrx what rotors do I buy?[/QUOTE]

You wont lose any dosh. You will be ahead! And what setimentality? It an 09? Really one of the "least good looking" (didnt want to say ugly) wrx ever made. Just because its your first car dont get caught up on it being anything special. Its a nice car but if you really plan on doing more track work, as you siad once a month, then have a real think about an sti. Like an 05.

Way better looking, faster, more reliable, etc.

Put your new wheels and mods onto the new car.

dnbosiris 22-07-2015 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;827121]You wont lose any dosh. You will be ahead! And what setimentality? It an 09? Really one of the "least good looking" (didnt want to say ugly) wrx ever made. Just because its your first car dont get caught up on it being anything special. Its a nice car but if you really plan on doing more track work, as you siad once a month, then have a real think about an sti. Like an 05.

Way better looking, faster, more reliable, etc.

Put your new wheels and mods onto the new car.[/QUOTE]

+1
Not sure how you'd lose money. Any cash you've already spent is a sunk cost, and any depreciation has already occurred. All you would be doing is crystallizing those "costs" if you sold it. The difference is, like others have said, an STi is a much better base to start modding for the track and so over the long run you will have spent less money to get where you want.

Brodz 22-07-2015 12:47 PM

I'd rather see a decent upgraded narrow body than the same old peanut/Hawkeye

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

JRecardo 22-07-2015 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Brodz;827126]I'd rather see a decent upgraded narrow body than the same old peanut/Hawkeye

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Things you'll only hear from a narrow betty owner: That

nick73 22-07-2015 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=Brodz;827126]I'd rather see a decent upgraded narrow body than the same old peanut/Hawkeye

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Dem's fightin words mofo!!

Seriously though if you are committed to your slim then listen to the advice you've been given about brembo's etc..

Wrx or STi meh, you will be haemorrhaging money regardless if you track it once a month.

TROLLEY 22-07-2015 02:06 PM

Sell '09 for 18/19 grand and purchase 05-07 STi for 22-25k?

Sure it has an arguably better block, Brembo's and DCCD however it will still require modifications, will cost more to insure, probably higher km's, unknown history... there's always an element of risk. People have purchased PLUMB secondhand STi's before, only to have them cost shitloads months down the track. If the person is flush with money and losing money/extra costs are not a factor then sure, sell up and buy an STi. If someone was "in the market" (hadn't purchased yet) and they stated that they wanted to do regular track days then I would say "buy an older STi" as opposed to a more recent WRX.

I own an ugly WRX but I wouldn't sell it for an older STi. I've owned it since new, has never given me a single problem apart from paint peeling on the scoop insert and a fucked sun visor, and the money I have spent on it has been spread out and enjoyed over 7 years of ownership. I just dropped a few grand on the next lot of mods too, but my justification is that I intend to keep it and continue to look after it for many more years to come. I'm only hoping to do the occasional (3-4) track days a year too.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind re: sell wrx/buy STi either, or arguing the point made. I'm just giving an example of the reasoning behind why one person wouldn't do it.

dnbosiris 22-07-2015 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=nick73;827133]

Wrx or STi meh, you will be haemorrhaging money regardless if you track it once a month.[/QUOTE]

Probably the most accurate statement of the thread

Tony 22-07-2015 02:35 PM

+1 for seriously considering selling to purchase an sti if you want to spend a decent amount of time on the track. I was same as you. Found a nice example stock wrx with low KM's, told myself was never going to sell it etc. Wanted to start doing track work, but realised the wrx wasn't the car for it. Same year sti ended up costing me 7k more but its fucking reliable and i dont worry so much when i beat on it. Im not tve only one who has sold a wrx to get into and sti under the same circumstances. 1 track day a month is alot and parts will wear out/fail quickly on the wrx and before you know it you've spend bullshit money and your only at stock sti level.

Not saying you have to do it, just recommending you seriously consider it as their are afew bargains out atm.

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;827121]You wont lose any dosh. You will be ahead! And what setimentality? It an 09? Really one of the "least good looking" (didnt want to say ugly)

Put your new wheels and mods onto the new car.[/QUOTE]

Thats 5x100 vs 5x114.3. ....

Might aswell said it. I happen to pefer my shape over anything unless its 2door gc8, g3 sti hatch or sti 2006.

Love how upgrading my brakes on my car turned into buy an sti thread.

Just not keen buying an older car with unknow history and more kms etc.
Already get raped with insurance as a 19yearold pplater wrx onwer yeah they love taking my doshh.

Keeping my betty cant convice me perthwrx love my wrx to much its a lesson id have to learn myself I know exactly why an sti is more ideal

matto20v 22-07-2015 03:40 PM

That's all fair enough, gotta respect that decision. It is your car, and don't let anyone else write the story for you.

So back to the thread...

$2,000 for brakes

then...

$1,000 for suspension (supply and install)
$5,000 to $8,000 for engine rebuild

Start a build thread!! This will be awesome!

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=matto20v;827147]That's all fair enough, gotta respect that decision. It is your car, and don't let anyone else write the story for you.

So back to the thread...

$2,000 for brakes

then...

Start a build thread!! This will be awesome![/QUOTE]

Ahhahahaha fucking helll massive kick to the nuts there stand by it my choice regardless.
How's ej207 bulit in slim wrx sound? See if I can fit an fa20t

dnbosiris 22-07-2015 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=matto20v;827147]That's all fair enough, gotta respect that decision. It is your car, and don't let anyone else write the story for you.

So back to the thread...

$2,000 for brakes

then...

Start a build thread!! This will be awesome![/QUOTE]

And $3000 for a 6spd when the 5spd breaks :o

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 04:04 PM

Nah bra 4k ppg gearbox straight cut whining... winning

ALEX. 22-07-2015 04:04 PM

OP: "What brake fluid should I be running?"

P-WRX: "Purchase a new car".

Errr let's take a step back, coz that really escalated quickly.

Brods just get the car you have to a simple position where you can run around RAC or Barbs without having to head home early. Do some track days and start learning your driving style, the weaknesses in the car, and discover what is an important upgrade to you (more power? better handling? something that's not even a WRX?)
After a number of events you may well discover that you actually only want to do a couple of track events per year — good thing you didn't buy the 2005 STi which is now an overkill daily! OR you may discover that you're in love with this stuff and want to go buy a dedicated race car.

EDIT: started typing a reply when people were suggesting STis; came back finished off when everyone started going 'whoa slow down there Nelly'. Now I look like I missed the boat. Like usual :P

Get out there and see for yourself how you go!

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=ALEX.;827152]OP: "What brake fluid should I be running?"

P-WRX: "Purchase a new car".

Errr let's take a step back, coz that really escalated quickly.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhahahhahah fuck my life and posting on this fucking forum ahahhahahahabbabab

RUSSGT 22-07-2015 04:13 PM

Na those are actually great points! Get out onto the track mate and enjoy it! You dont need an sti for that!

What is the problem you are having with the brakes anyway? Fading? Did you actually experience fade that day at the track?

JRecardo 22-07-2015 04:21 PM

You'll need to get used to the buy an sti argument, especially when you're talking about mods the sti already has.

To be honest, I track my 08 wrx and enjoy the hell out of it. At least for the moment I'm quite content with what I have (or will be once my brembos are on).

12 months on the stock 5 speed so far with 325hp/456nm and no signs of issues. A decent amount of track work in that time I would say.

SolarFilms 22-07-2015 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;827154]Na those are actually great points! Get out onto the track mate and enjoy it! You dont need an sti for that!

What is the problem you are having with the brakes anyway? Fading? Did you actually experience fade that day at the track?[/QUOTE]

1 stock rotors shuttering I suspect they are warped 2 fade mushy pedal etc(last laps when they were hot). Did every lap possible that day where some people skipped 1 or 2 which I should have probably done myself brakes were just to hot.

Goosey 22-07-2015 04:53 PM

Unless you've got the cash to throw away (like I did) get the new rotors, pads, lines and fluid and call it a day. All this talk of "buy an sti" will just drive you crazy.

If I recall correctly, they had guys at collie a couple of years back running stock pads and rotors on a betty, on what was possibly the hottest day of the year and having a blast, and I also recall a set of dba t3 4000's cracking from the heat. Not that I'm suggesting you buy stock, but take in to account how fast you are on the track, and how many laps you'll be doing at a time.

Perhaps consider giving yourself more time between sessions as well. The urge to line back up again is huge, but skipping an extra session each time could save you a lot of cash and problems in the long run.

nick73 22-07-2015 05:13 PM

[url=http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/products/blouch-rbk-dominator-2-5xtr-polka-pickle-suit-01-07-wrx-sti-and-08-11-sti-with-10cm.html]Blouch RBK Dominator 2.5XTR Polka Pickle suit 01-07 WRX/STI and 08-11 STI with 10cm - Pro Speed Racing[/url]

TROLLEY 22-07-2015 05:19 PM

haha you're a wanker nick73 :P