Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

09betty at standard level

My 09 is at 117k and no issues so far except for a squeaky clutch pedal as well.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Giuffy91 at standard level

That's a relief ! Much info about the gear boxes ?? As in strength and people needing to replace them on the odd ? A friend had a stock wrx and needed to replace gear box and clutch .. Just don't understand how we did it on a stock wrx ? 09 year aswell
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 AM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

Or budget depending.... buy any model - wait for bang and rebuild tough... ;-)

Box is fine - it's how you use it... Mechanical sympathy, load it with some torque before sidestepping in 1st and make sure changes are firm but smooth - not smashed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TROLLEY and s20525xxx like this.
Old 30-07-2017, 01:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

Holy thread revival!

I didn't want to start another thread so I thought I'd continue this one. If it merits a new thread, by all means move this outta here.

I am looking to buy a 1998-2005 GC or GD STI (GD STI preferred because they are newer and more common). I want to know what kind of things to look for during inspection and on the paperwork.

If there are any common issues with these model STI's, please reply with your advice and/or links to more detail. I have already read up on some NASIOC type pages for things like compression test print outs, checking for aftermarket parts, service history etc.

Basically, anything that would indicate the car could have been abused or is not in good condition and how to identify it.

** Extra note for disclosure - I currently reside in Japan and I intend to buy and keep the car with me here for at least a year, so if you have ever bought a car in Japan, your experience will be invaluable for me.

Thanks in advance P-WRX team! Yoroshiku
Old 31-07-2017, 06:44 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

If you're in Japan and intending to personal import one back, it'd be worth looking into something that we don't get here. S201-S204, Spec-C RA-R, STI Forester, Version 5/6 STI Wagon etc.

Couple of tips I have:

Check for rust underneath. Not a problem in Aus but salt is an issue in parts of Japan.
Rear struts are known to knock in 01-04? STI's, can be fixed with having grease nipples fitted
Be wary of cars with stacks of gauges and electronic gadgets unless work can be proven to be of professional quality. Butchered wiring harnesses suck.
Check spare wheel well, radiator support, beneath bumpers etc. for damage/rust
joshrx likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

Thanks for the advice, I will take it onboard and add it to my list. I will also check that they haven't been returned to stock and have butchered wires underneath anyway.

In regards to a special edition, I thought about it but I just want a regular one to commute to work and travel with every other weekend. The special versions are quite a bit more expensive too and I just can't afford one. (That said, an RA-R someday would be sweet!).

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Tags
buying, wrx