Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By munya

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Scoobie Noobie

MattT at standard level
Question Should I be worried?

Hi all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time now, and since I recently purchased an 04 STi, I felt as if i finally belonged on here.

I have a few questions regarding the longevity and reliability of the engine of this car, as it is peaking at about 1.55bar, which from my understanding is fairly high for an EJ207 out of an 04. It has been tuned by racetorque to around 1.45bar, and im wondering if I should be concerned about the extra boost over what it was tuned for, and any reasons that would cause it to overboost.

Also, if I was planning on having a more reliable daily engine that I don't have to worry about blowing up everytime I get on the throttle, would it be a better idea that I perhaps get it tuned down to around 16-17 psi?
As I know that EJ207's are relatively strong, but I just want to hear it from some people that have had experience

Thanks.
Old 29-10-2015, 12:45 AM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

If u r over boosting, ur existing boost control is struggling. Could be solenoid or wastegate etc.

Boost is one thing, timing is another factor for reliability. It affects knock threshold, cylinder temp & pressure.

Racetorque is good, talk to him in person to ask for a safe tune.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport

Last edited by s20525xxx; 29-10-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 29-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Talk to your tuner as said before. I on the other hand have a 205 Wrx motor running the same boost for donkey years but is tuned for it and haven't had any problems (touch wood). Yeah scratch that DokDoK yepeeee this means all tunes from now on will not worry about dokdok 2bar or bust.
TROLLEY and amtrapid like this.

Last edited by munya; 30-10-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:19 AM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Hi all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time now, and since I recently purchased an 04 STi, I felt as if i finally belonged on here.

I have a few questions regarding the longevity and reliability of the engine of this car, as it is peaking at about 1.55bar, which from my understanding is fairly high for an EJ207 out of an 04. It has been tuned by racetorque to around 1.45bar, and im wondering if I should be concerned about the extra boost over what it was tuned for, and any reasons that would cause it to overboost.

Also, if I was planning on having a more reliable daily engine that I don't have to worry about blowing up everytime I get on the throttle, would it be a better idea that I perhaps get it tuned down to around 16-17 psi?
As I know that EJ207's are relatively strong, but I just want to hear it from some people that have had experience

Thanks.
that engine is the strongest engine shipped with an STi. 1.55bar itself is not too high in itself, but it depends on other factors in ur tune such as fuelling and timing as to whether it's safe. plenty of people run that boost level on a 207. check that if you have a 3port boost control solenoid installed. if not get one installed and have a retune.
Old 29-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Scoobie Noobie

MattT at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
that engine is the strongest engine shipped with an STi. 1.55bar itself is not too high in itself, but it depends on other factors in ur tune such as fuelling and timing as to whether it's safe. plenty of people run that boost level on a 207. check that if you have a 3port boost control solenoid installed. if not get one installed and have a retune.
I notice that in 5th gear if I go WOT, then the boost creeps to about 23 psi, and then fuel cut starts to kick in, so I think I'll eventually take it back to racetorque and get it tuned back to around 18psi? I talked to one of the guys at racetorque about it yesterday before I made this post, and he said that 1.5bar would be at the upper end of what the engine can handle.

Also, is there any way I can check myself to see if I have a 3port boost control solenoid? Or should I just call up racetorque and ask?
Old 29-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Scoobie Noobie

MattT at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
If u r over boosting, ur existing boost control is struggling. Could be solenoid or wastegate etc.

Boost is one thing, timing is another factor for reliability. It affects knock threshold, cylinder temp & pressure.

Racetorque is good, talk to him in person to ask for a safe tune.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Cheers! I might give them a call later today, mention the fact that it is jumping past 1.5bar and see what they recommend.

Tags
boost psi too much ej207, worried