Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-11-2013, 04:44 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

Is there anywhere further up North that you guys entrust your cars too? The reputation STechnic has here is fantastic, but it's a bit of a way for me to travel for regular servicing type stuff.

I have had a clutch done at japline before, and thought it was alright but little things turned me away a bit. Gear knob going from firm and tight to slushy after going in(Bushes maybe?) was one of them, but otherwise was happy enough with their work. Clutch was still going strong when I sold the car on.

Bluestar is another one up here too, but I got an $1800 quote for a clutch which seems excessively high so I wonder if they're always like that. Any other guys to consider up that way of the woods?
Old 22-11-2013, 04:48 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Allstar Garage in Malaga can service, modify, build engines and tune them. They are not cheap but then nothing good ever is.
JRecardo likes this.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Not sure what clutch you were quoted for but that does sound too high ( probably genuine parts ). I've been using Bluestar for nearly two years and very happy with their service so far. Their prices are usually reasonable...
JRecardo likes this.

Last edited by nick73; 22-11-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Hey bud, in order to be fair to the companies you're discussing I'd suggest you post more information when talking about prices given, such as complete service offered, and parts used.

$1,800 isn't far fetched for a clutch 'parts/service dependant', Nick I'd love to see your response when on OEM replacement service.
JRecardo likes this.

Last edited by mARC; 22-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

You beat me to it, I just edited.^
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Had my first visit to the new Maximum Motorsport workshop for a WRX Club WA meeting last night.

It is a fantastic purpose-built facility and raises the bar for Subaru workshops in WA and indeed in Australia.

It is well worth a visit to see what a professional workshop should look like.

Address is Unit 3, 22 Kewdale Road, Welshpool....it is at the rear of O'Dowd Transport...use the left hand side driveway.
JRecardo likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 AM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Not sure what clutch you were quoted for but that does sound too high ( probably genuine parts ). I've been using Bluestar for nearly two years and very happy with their service so far. Their prices are usually reasonable...
Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly consider them next time around. They're conveniently close to my house and work place so I'll give them a call next time I need some work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Hey bud, in order to be fair to the companies you're discussing I'd suggest you post more information when talking about prices given, such as complete service offered, and parts used.

$1,800 isn't far fetched for a clutch 'parts/service dependant', Nick I'd love to see your response when on OEM replacement service.
Yeah fair enough, it was a while ago now and I can't remember exactly what the quote was for. But it was along the lines of a clutch replacement and flywheel machining, OEM replacement clutch.

Japline then quoted $1100 for an Exedy HD pressure plate and organic disc with flywheel machining so I went with them. No issues with the clutch itself what so ever.

As far as regular servicing goes do any of you guys just go back to the dealer for that or should I just completely avoid the dealer now?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

I use Stechnics for my 10000km services and do an oil and filter change every other 5000kms inbetween.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

I used the dealer for the first service then decided to take it to STechnic for the next one. Will definitely be taking it back to them for future servicing. All depends on if you have a warranty. Most of them require you to have the car serviced at a dealership.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

I had my brakes done by Racetorque Engineering in Wangara. Very professional service, reasonable pricing and very efficient. Booked Thursday, was fit in for the following Monday. Had rotors replaced all round, lines, pads and front calipers all for $350. (provided my own parts)

Had my first (and only) service done by Maximum Motorsport. Also a great experience. The guys were very knowledgeable and answered every question I had, although I couldn't help but get the feeling I was trying to be up-sold to getting a dump pipe, new turbo and a tune. Haha.

Last edited by Goosey; 12-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Tags
perth, workshops