Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

aircoolhead at standard level
Default stock STI heads - how much can they flow?

How much can the stock Aussie spec STI (GD model with AVCS) flow? I havent been able to get more than 18 psi boost on my car (anything above 18psi, up to 20psi gets no more power). This was the case on both my engines (the stock EJ207 and the "brilliant, expertly built" EJ25 that self destructed after 5,000km). Both engines used the same stock heads.

Trying to figure where the restriction is. Its not the turbo cos i've tried 3 different ones including an SZ49 Superzilla (similar to FP Green) which works best in the low/mid 20s psi. Its not exhaust either as i have a 3inch SS with highflow cat (also tried 2 different exhaust manifolds. Now on Subaru twinscroll equal length manifold). Not air intake either as i have a CAI system and the usual silicon hoses.

ECU is Ecutek? Lane says that its probably the heads that are restrictive. I'm wondering if its the Ecutek.

On the 2.5L engine with a big turbo (SZ49) it produced slightly more than 220kw atw at 18psi. Couldnt get more power. On the EJ207 its getting 208kw atw (with a modified VF37 twinscroll) @18psi. Again cant get anything extra above 18psi.
Old 21-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Its definitely not your heads, or cams.

There are plenty of people, many on this forum, making huge power on similar heads. They flow extremely well, and I've never come across any situations or stories where the STi heads have been the restriction.

The one thing which I believe would possibly be the restriction, is your intake...your running an ECUTek, which also means you have an air flow meter.

I've seen this same problem on another vehicle. Sean from Speedworks is currently making 370+ at the hubs on 20ish psi, and he cant make any more power with more boost, because his AFM (running Power FC), is holding it back. He has EJ207, ported MY98 heads, JUN 272 cams, etc

That being said, Tode is running an AFM with an FP Green and made 240+kw at the wheels. Tino had similar results.

Last edited by BALISTC; 21-09-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 21-09-2006, 10:23 PM

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

im gona push 1.8bar + soon as well...we had no probs getting it up there.. but boost cut kicked in. gettin it removed next time round

what solenoid u running?

Last edited by waxdass; 21-09-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 21-09-2006, 10:25 PM

aircoolhead at standard level

Balistic,
I did wonder whether it might be the decapped injectors (didnt i buy them off you?). Had them ultrasonically cleaned and flowtested to 740cc before i fitted them.
I'd be interested to take a ride in Tode's car to see how the FP Green performs on an EJ207 (ie. if its laggy). On the EJ25 the Superzilla is superb, virtually lag-free and absolutely tons of torque. I've hesitated putting them on the EJ207 as i thought it might be too laggy.
I might want to try a different ECU (Hydra Nemesis) to see if i get better results. Ecuteks been very reliable but having it tuned is a pain with only one tuner who is had to get an appt with.
Old 21-09-2006, 10:30 PM

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

wont be the injectors, iv currently got sard 800cc's in there now, iv just bought some stock 02 injectors which im gonna decap - and run them instead.
U can take a ride in my car after the 6th oct, it should be retuned and all good by then. Fp green is definatly not laggy for me on the ej207, Even with the exhaust leak from the bigger crosspipe i got made - it still made full boost (25psi) 5000rpm, and was making 1 bar at 4300rpm
Im expectig it to drop once the leak is fixed.

b4 i had this leak with the stock cross pipe and 1 side of the headers ported.. i was getting full boost (24psi) at 4000rpm

Last edited by waxdass; 21-09-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 22-09-2006, 06:18 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoolhead
Balistic,
I did wonder whether it might be the decapped injectors (didnt i buy them off you?). Had them ultrasonically cleaned and flowtested to 740cc before i fitted them.
If it was the injectors, Lane would have picked this up as a lean condition during tuning, rather than a lack of power.

On top of that, I'm running the same heads as yours, and an FP 20G (which is a bit smaller than an FP Green). With the stock motor I made 210kw at the wheels with standard STi injectors.

Now aiming for 240-250 with the new motor, with incredible response. It hit 1 bar at 3300rpm on its last shakedown tune
Old 22-09-2006, 06:48 AM

ALOGT at standard level

Have you checked that the AVCS is working correctly?

Tony

Tags
flow, heads, sti, stock