Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Possessed at standard level
Default Australian Top Gear!

http://search.theage.com.au/click.ac...8.html&t=4&n=1

I'm sure a few of you are like me and download what is quite possibly the best show to get off the internet (second to family guy!) top gear, seems Australia is going to have a shot at making there own version... read:

Quote:
THE John Fairfax Group may make its first foray into television as early as October with a TV show spun from its successful Drive motoring liftout. Although a deal has not yet been signed, a document circulating in the motoring industry says the company is developing a 10-part series, dubbed Drive (TV), to premiere on the Ten Network on October 29 and screen on Saturday afternoons.

Motoring writer Michael Stahl has been approached to host the series, which is designed to tie in with Fairfax's strong Drive-branded print and online products.

"We are always exploring new ways to extend our Drive offering to motoring buyers, sellers, and motoring enthusiasts through a range of channels," Julie Coffey, the general manager of drive.com.au, said.

"New projects are constantly in discussion and development and Fairfax will make the relevant announcement if and when details are confirmed."

Modelled on popular British series such as Top Gear and Fifth Gear, the low-budget program - each half-hour episode will cost less than $100,000 - will be co-produced by Fairfax and Sydney production company Brand New Media.

Stahl also will host a segment called "The Hot Lap", examining the performance, handling, pedigree and features of a "star car" before it is taken for a spin by "the Speed Steerer", an unnamed professional racing driver.

By the end of the first season, the hot lap segment will have built a comprehensive review table of the so-called star cars - described as Australia's most "aspirational vehicles" - their performance, history and targets.

Fairfax is believed to be considering expanding the concept to other brands, if Drive (TV) is successful.
im a big top gear fan, im not sure if i should be happy.. or worried Australia will stuff up what could be a very good show! expect a lot of biased towards ford and holden..
Old 26-08-2005, 06:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

EYEZ at standard level

I used to love watching Top Gear in the UK, Jeremy Clarkson has to be the funniest bloke ever to be a car journo. I was watching it on BBC World on Sunday mornings but the series has just finished.
Old 26-08-2005, 07:26 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Pinky at standard level

Michael Stahl is a bloody funny bloke.

Dunno if anyone remembers 'Drivetime' on Channel Ten circa early 1998.

Hosted by Ex Wheels (and Streeet Machine) Editor Phil Scott and Stahly, it was very entertaining, but it was canned cause (I think) it was too 'technical' for the average dickhead...

One of the first episodes featured them searching for superlatives for a red '98 WRX. I decided that they knew what they were on about

This looks like a resurrection of a very good but short lived show.
Old 29-08-2005, 11:26 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

BM747 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to BM747

All three of the Top Gear slappers are tops IMHO. Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant, and not to mention an awesoe driver. How's the episode when comparing the drop top and coupe F430's. He actually beat the Fazza test driver! Thats awesome...

As for an Australian series, i don't think it will have that edge. Top Gear has access to anything and everything, such is the power of the BBC. Most aussie shows are lackluster compared to their international counterparts...cough...Australian Idol...cough
Old 29-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

As you can see by my nick im a big fan of the show hahaha and i think an australian version would be shit like the rest of the car shows here lol I dont think it would have the same edge as The UK Topgear either.

Tags
australian, gear, top