Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   cordless drill (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/13978-cordless-drill.html)

spec 04 23-07-2007 01:03 PM

cordless drill

need a new one as my ryobi died after only a few short years of use
will never buy another ryobi
what to buy and where
do not want to spend more than $150.00

mr_psi 23-07-2007 02:01 PM

makita

AWDmoke 23-07-2007 02:10 PM

My wife bought me a Ryobi to replace my 10 year old Bosch cordless

Even on it's last legs, the Bosch is still better

Mister Two 23-07-2007 02:18 PM

I bought a $50 GMC crappy 12V one 6 years ago. A few battery replacements. But its still going strong.

Kato 23-07-2007 02:35 PM

Kinda off topic. What are everyone's complaints with the Ryobi's and the like?

For the occasional use I would give a cordless drill, I've considered getting the real cheapies (Ozito?) only because I could buy 10 of them for every decent Makita. Economies of scale point me in that direction.

Just a thought.

TopGear 23-07-2007 02:55 PM

we been using a 18volt Black and Decker on the building site for along time and has done well, I just bought a Makita 18v and its much better :D

confuzion 23-07-2007 02:56 PM

I have one of those 18v Ryobi ones and although its only a year old, its been through tough times (as it should) and i havnt been able to fault it yet

If you dont like Ryobi then yeah Makita is a step in the right direction
Ozito's are damn cheap, i have one of their jigsaw's and its been fine also, cuts through wood/metal etc with the right blades fine

mr_psi 23-07-2007 03:21 PM

ryobi has a good replacement warranty and also quite attractive 30 day satisfaction garantee.

however they have very poor batteries, this is not covered under warranty. Also the charge time on the batteries are quite poor as the same with the ozito and the GMC. you can purchase the fast charge range however, the batteries tend to last 6 months.

bosch you have the green range which is household use which isnt bad but they are shocking when waiting for somethin to be fixed. blue bosch which is trade is quite good but again same warranty department and you find yourself waiting up to 2 months.

however, makita which are quite resonably priced and are trade warranty. they have a return warranty which goes back to factory and gets repaired unless it cant be. very rare to see one returned

Booga 23-07-2007 03:49 PM

I have a B&D cordless hammer 18V - still going strong 3 years later.

Panasonic FTW - but probably beyond budget.

urabus 23-07-2007 03:55 PM

I bought a Hilti Hammer drill for work. Then the boys finally blew it up cause they did not know what they were doing. I went and bought a shitter from Big W and it was indestructible. When it did finally die I bought an identical one. Did not last one day. Yes I could have returned it and gone again but my point is that the cheap end of the market is very hit and miss. I went and bought another hilti.

As for cordless Panasonic make most of the top end batteries so I would go either with them or with the new lithium ion range from makita. A lot more than you wanted to spend but for peace of mind they are unbeatable.

One of my idiots (after specifically telling him not too) put a new makita battery charger on a generator and funnily enough it shat itself. Dropped it off to our local hardware store and within two weeks we got a brand new charger. 100% not their fault but no questions and replaced with no dramas.

Just do not go with dewalt. They look great and tough etc but use one that is a couple of years old compared to one a makita or panasonic and it is chalk and cheese.

Brendon