Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

QUOTE/:

I plan on taking the prius to the track soon to see what it'll do in the 1/4. I've been reading up on how to launch it. This is what I've came up with as the best way to drag race a prius based on only what i've read:

- Charge the battery to full by holding the gas and brake all the way down till the engine shuts off.

- Launch the car in "B" mode because it will pre-load the engine to "launch"

- Of course try to have as little fuel as possible

I think I should be able to hit somewhere in the mid 17 second range. (hopefully) which is actually not bad.
/QUOTE.

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH A.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
its around the 104 mark
Yep, typically around the 110 - 114 mark.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Scoobie Noobie

huntian at standard level

Once upon a time back in the 90s, electric cars were being produced and they were the sh!t. They could pull off killer burnouts, and qtr mile times not that much slower (and in some cases, faster) than a stock WRX... The power they put out was incredible. Unfortunately for pretty much everyone, the oil companies and the US government had a lot to do with the quick ending of this fast growing environmentally friendly alternative to petrol cars. If you're interested, or think I'm bullshitting, check out doco called "Who Killed the Electric Car?" (most decent video stores would have it)... Pretty crazy what can happen if you have enough money.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntian
Once upon a time back in the 90s, electric cars were being produced and they were the sh!t. They could pull off killer burnouts, and qtr mile times not that much slower (and in some cases, faster) than a stock WRX... The power they put out was incredible. Unfortunately for pretty much everyone, the oil companies and the US government had a lot to do with the quick ending of this fast growing environmentally friendly alternative to petrol cars. If you're interested, or think I'm bullshitting, check out doco called "Who Killed the Electric Car?" (most decent video stores would have it)... Pretty crazy what can happen if you have enough money.

That's true...that not only happened with the electric car but a few years ago australian and a french (i think) fella came up with an engine which runs on compressed air. It proved to be 3 times as efficient as the internal combustion engine (1 litre petrol engine produces X kW, 1 litre compressed air engine produced 3X). The technology was bought soon after by nobody else but Shell

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

[MARZS] at standard level

are these guys serious??? i mean really, who tries to mod a Prius?
"I know i races and NSX.. er.. the lower end acura on the highway.. i kept up with it.. it looked a little shakey.. i passed it in the end. hehe

I raced the 400h against a viper on a roll start.. he couldn't catch up. lol"

they surely don't think that their cars can out run a nsx and a viper. it is funny to read how much they are into making their cars go faster and blaming things like low profile tires on loosing to a mustang gt
Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

rspct at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
funnily enough, lpg is higher octane then petrol, so you should be able to make more power with it, hence go quicker
Although it has a higher octane number, that is not quite the end of the story.

A lower octane fuel is actually more explosive and has more energy, but tends to be more unpredictable when the A/F ratio is changed. The ECU is not quick enough to respond to compensate and knocking occurs, therefore a 'safe' tune is generally used and less engine power is produced.

When the octane number is higher, the fuel burns more predictable and smoother, but with less energy. The benefit for the engine though is the tune can be more agressive (i.e. closer to the lean limits) without the risk of knocking, hence more engine power is achieved.

On to LPG vs Petrol, you are right that in certain scenarios LPG performs better. I've heard that LPG will actually perform better in the lower RPM region and I have a feeling it is due to its better vaporisation in the engine, hence better air/fuel mixing when the engine is a bit asthmatic. Petrol performs better in the higher RPM due to its higher energy content and is being vaporised more efficiently.

My mate has a fiat 124 with a lancia delta integrale head, some other fiat 2L bottom end and the turbo off the nissan RB25 @ 12psi. It actually runs on LPG and the above seems to hold true. It is real gutsy down low but flattens out significantly in the high revs. He is still working on getting the petrol working, but it will be interesting to compare.

On another note the prius forum is just plain funny!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Im talking dedicated LPG systems which are tuned for performance.

A dual system always suffers as it needs to be friendly to both fuels.

I was shown a customers dyno charts from a VH SLE which went from fuel only to lpg on the same motor... was a good 20hp in it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Sir AntiLag

BrennyV at standard level

ahhaha gold! i hope they dont want people to take them serious tho :P
Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper
QUOTE/:

I plan on taking the prius to the track soon to see what it'll do in the 1/4. I've been reading up on how to launch it. This is what I've came up with as the best way to drag race a prius based on only what i've read:

- Charge the battery to full by holding the gas and brake all the way down till the engine shuts off.

- Launch the car in "B" mode because it will pre-load the engine to "launch"

- Of course try to have as little fuel as possible

I think I should be able to hit somewhere in the mid 17 second range. (hopefully) which is actually not bad.
/QUOTE.

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH A.
careful mate you know what happened when some of the members here started bagging the 300ZX! Those prius guys could get out the can of whip ass on us all.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Check out Autospeed.com

The editor had a supercharged Prius project, and it made fuck all extra power. All it did was charge the battery faster and allow the car to run on electric power for longer.

Tags
cars, watch