Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff
Default Post-grad studies and Masters degrees

Hi everyone,

Just need some help and advice...on post-grad studies, namely graduate certificates and masters qualifications.

Work has offered to pay for me to extend my tertiary qualifications (B.Comm Mgmt/Mktg), and I've decided on a Graduate Certificate of Business majoring in Leadership and Management, 4 units (1 per semester for 2 years).

This will allow me to work in the mean time, and gain the 3 years of work experience necessary to do my Masters of Business Administration majoring in Management. The 4 units credit directly to my MBA as well, which is a bonus.

I've heard mixed reports about MBAs. Some say useless, others say its definitely worthwhile, but the main thing I've been told is the massive workload.

Has anyone here done anything of the sort, and if so, do you have any advice to offer?? I'm looking at doing it at Curtin, but I could very easily do it at UWA, or one of the many other universities around Australia that offer the same course. Any opinions on this?

I need to make my decision in the next couple of weeks, because enrolments begin very soon for 2008.

Cheers
Old 14-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Joe ive heard that MBAs are alot of work..

but if ur wanting to head in an adminstrative role of some sort in the future then definately essential imo...
Old 14-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Well my ultimate aim is to become a CEO of a publically listed or substantial-size privately owned company within the next 15 yrs, but any executive director job will be fine with me
Old 14-09-2007, 09:35 AM

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

works paying, do it
Old 14-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
Well my ultimate aim is to become a CEO of a publically listed or substantial-size privately owned company within the next 15 yrs, but any executive director job will be fine with me

think big i like.. hahah well then u need to do one... better to get it over now when ur younger as the brain can absorb more. Plus u dont get set in ur way of thinking...

im looking at doing one in the next couple of yrs also... management is where the big buxs are...
Old 14-09-2007, 09:39 AM

I agree, being on the board of directors is the holy grail of business IMHO, and I definitely want to be there.

There is also a Masters called Leadership and Management, also known as an MLM...know anything about that? It seems very similar to an MBA, just a few different units.
Old 14-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Sign me up!

nope i dont know too much about it.. Best to ask around and see what most ppl (new age directors, not the ol school ones that prolly havent even got a degree. haha) in those positions have degree wise...
Old 14-09-2007, 11:02 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

NIX WRX at standard level

Joe - it sounds as if you've made a really good first choice, especially seeing how the units can be applied towards an MBA (if you do decide to do that later on).

I think you'll find that as you go through the certificate program, that you'll run into heaps of people with the exact same question that you have. That should give you a lot more insight as to whether or not you really need to do an MBA (given your goals). I wouldn't sweat so much now about not knowing the answer to this question... you've still got plenty of time to figure that out (the certificate program will take 2 years?), and no doubt when the time comes when you do actually need to decide on an MBA, it will be clear to you what you need to do.

The important thing for now though is that you're about to start something that is bound to help your career out - whether or not you end up doing the MBA.

UWA vs. Curtin vs. blah blah blah... it seems that UWA is viewed as the top uni for this field, though will it really make or break your future? Chances are that your job experience - and not someone at uni you networked with or some lecturer you had - will be the main factor in determining what opportunities come your way. The leadership qualities that you'll need to achieve your goals can't be taught!

I'll be in the same boat soon enough myself, and will start a similar certificate program sometime soon (hopefully next year). My attitdue is that I'll do an MBA only if I absolutely need to... and I'd be surprised if I did. I've got no interest in going to uni if it's not going to help out my career, and the certificate program might be all I need, given my goals (which are roughly similar to yours). I guess I still place a lot of my faith in hard work and common sense.

And that's my 20 cents.

Nik
Old 14-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Hey Joe, as you know, I finnished my Grad Cert in Business Admin in June last year, the first 4 units, @ UWA..

I'm thinking of going back and doing another 3 units and getting the diploma, it really should only be two but I have done a unit that they have now shifted to the MBA course..

I chose the UWA program because of the lecture schedule, every 2nd Saturday, which suited my fifo roster really well. I did 1 unit a semester which was enough. It really isnt that hard, you just have to do the pre-reading and dont be afraid to be in regular contact with the lecturer if you are not sure of anything...I can pretty much assure you that if you do the pre-reading, go to lectures, and start assignments EARLY, you will get about 70 - 80% in each unit : )

http://www.biz.uwa.edu.au/home/cours...aduate_courses
Old 14-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Sir AntiLag

Makavel at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
I agree, being on the board of directors is the holy grail of business IMHO, and I definitely want to be there.

There is also a Masters called Leadership and Management, also known as an MLM...know anything about that? It seems very similar to an MBA, just a few different units.

already there son

Tags
degrees, masters, postgrad, studies