Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Power TO WEIGHT restrictions for P platers is definitely a step in the right direction, however it doesn't solve the problem of the individuals comprehension of the potential dangers of what they are about to do in a car. Once they are off their P's by age 19-20, they are capable of then purchasing a car far more powerful than anything they have experience driving (as we all know powerful cars behave much differently than less powerful ones when being driven irresponsibly), they are still just as immature, 6"4 & bulletproof as their P plate counterparts.

Making it compulsory for young drivers to attend offensive & defensive driver training gives them A) the experience to make better judgement calls before engaging in a potentially fatal maneuver B) the ability to control a vehicle when things go pear shaped, be it a result of reckless behaviour or a genuine mistake/accident, thus increasing their chances of surviving.

I have lost many friends to the roads, some through tragic accidents, others as results of reckless behaviour, most were no longer P platers. Had they attended such driver education courses some may actually still be alive today, more likely than if they had simply been driving a 'less powerful car' - any car can be driven recklessly, no matter how powerful it is. Even basic theory of vehicle dynamics, differences between AWD, RWD and FWD, all the way down to basic car maintenance would go a long way.

In response to the comment about having a less powerful car meaning they wont have the urge to show who can go faster - what a crock of shit...the majority of cars I see flying passed me on the freeway or trying to "race' are not performance cars, but young people in Getz's, Excels and 4wd's...the real problem is not the cars, but the attitude & mentality of the people behind the wheel, any steps to improve this are the real moves forward.

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

blackwrxwagon at standard level

Rossco - I'm all for restricting the cars p-platers drive, that wasn't my point. My point was that the majority of people on here, and the majority of people with a performance car or an interest in driving would have done something similar to exdeeding the speed limit by 80% (which is doing 90 in a 50 zone -really not that hard). I agree its a silly thing to do, but theres a time and place for it - And I would argue that the freeway at 4am is as good place as any.
#26 E series HSV senator - bunky
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
...the real problem is not the cars, but the attitude & mentality of the people behind the wheel, any steps to improve this are the real moves forward.
Amen.

Problem is, young people, men in particular, are chemically inclined to think they are bullet proof as it is. No training, no images, nothing will change the fact that a small bit of provication or ego challenging will entice someone young to do something stupid. Ill say that again - NOTHING will change that. That has nothing to do with licensing standards, training, videos of gore - a young guy is full of chemical imbalance as they grow and that makes them more likely to do things that are considered stupid. This is obviously a generic call, as I am sure there are young guys here who dont go out and go nuts everywhere, but you are minority.

Restricting turbos and v8's wont change too much - a FG 6 makes 210kw - I got one to 216kmh with ease just outside of Geelong and it had more to give had the speed cut not kicked in. SV6 195kw, same sort of deal, not slow.

Hell, a hybrid camry is pretty quick, especially from 60 to 140, and its a boring as bat shit family car.

As per the pic on the previous page, I got a Getz to 180kmh, and trust me it wasnt as hard as you might imagine.

The thing about it though is, these cars all have shit tyres, brakes, suspension. Id rather get into trouble in something that has a chance of stopping or turning out of trouble.

I am not saying that we should just allow people to go nuts on our streets, but trust me this is not the first generation to do it, and it wont be the last. It is just that in todays media driven sensationalist bullshit storyline lifestyle we hear more about it.

The old guys at work recall street racing down scarborough beach road in their hotted up xw falcons, my dad tells me about having a hotted up ford capri in which he would go out and harass motorbike riders, hell I used to proudly organise illegal drags on a regular basis.

Before you bash these young kids, think about exactly what you did in your younger (or current) days behind the wheel.... you probably did the same. And if you play the game, be prepared to pay the price.

And that is the crux of my argument - dont be a hypocrite about it. Way too many horses around here that need cherry pickers to get onto.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Amen and hallelujah TJ ...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Catching those that flaunt the law and removing them from their cars is a step in the right direction. I have no issue with this.
P-Plate restrictions are long overdue in this state, but won't protect the 5% of retards from themselves. It may help the 95% and help bring home the point of driver safety on our roads though.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shez at standard level

WOW, boys really are wired differently. Thinking way back, the girls and I would never do crap like that.

Well TJ, as you have clearly stated that it is all basically hormonal, the only solution is chemical neutering. If education wont work, let's hit this issue at the root of the cause?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

PsYcHeD at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSubaru View Post
But - Some guido and his 3 mates will look like absolute tools trying to rev the guts out of a Getz at 3am trying to get to 180km/h and probably wont bother. =)

Makes me sick though, specifically to the P Platers doing this in WRX's getting media attention - most of us had to earn ours and treat them with respect, its a shame when the minority ruin it for the majority.
As per the theme of my previous post, ITS ONLY A WRX! Why do ppl on here think that a WRX is a 'special' car? They're awesome, but they're not high-class cars that only a select few can/should own.

Furthermore, nor do I believe that certain ppl on here that bang on about driving their cars with 'respect' do so 100% of the time. Thats crap. I believe its more for effect for the sake of fitting in with the ethos of this car club. Everyone gives their car a bit of stick at times. Unfortunately, some are just unlucky and get caught (like those that end up in the paper)...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHeD View Post
Everyone gives their car a bit of stick at times. Unfortunately, some are just unlucky and get caught (like those that end up in the paper)...
So what you're saying is you drive around at 180 and that this guy was just unlucky he got caught?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
So what you're saying is you drive around at 180 and that this guy was just unlucky he got caught?
Just giving it "a bit of stick"

time and place, not near fixed freeway camera (face palm)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Its not a fixed camera (face palm)

Quote:
Furthermore, nor do I believe that certain ppl on here that bang on about driving their cars with 'respect' do so 100% of the time. Thats crap. I believe its more for effect for the sake of fitting in with the ethos of this car club. Everyone gives their car a bit of stick at times. Unfortunately, some are just unlucky and get caught (like those that end up in the paper)...
LOL. Truest words spoken on here

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
news, thread