Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Kato, you have a point, but it's the same point that every Tom, Dick and Harry makes. I was referring in the above post as having the correct facts to start with. Unfortunately we need a band-aid solution because renewables, gas and oil are simply not going to cut it. Nuclear is an established, proven, effective and viable solution. We are just stuck with the typical aussie NIMBY mentality which funnily enough applies to both nuclear and wind generation.

Reactors are in fact safe - We are currently seeing 4th generation reactors which have improved safety and operating characteristics - A 100 fold increase over the likes of Chernobyl and Three Mile Island reactors - Both 2nd generation. To know that no first gen reactors have had catastrophic issues would also seem to say a fair bit.

There are still issues with integrating renewables into our electricity grid. World-wide balancing of generation/load is still one of the biggest problems facing the renewables industry - Even in Germany - The biggest and most advanced wind industry in the world. I believe the study was done by Econnect or a similar company, and the maximum wind generation any power grid could have, while remaining stable, was in the order of 20 - 30%. That's not an easy hurdle to overcome considering it would need major innovations in power conditioning.

By burning coal - You still leave something for the future generations - Only not underground. Kind of a catch 22 you could say Why would you want to go into an abandoned cavern underground, anyway - Nuclear waste or not??

Last edited by vyper; 20-11-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 20-11-2007, 04:04 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

id much rather nuclear waste than have ppl pump gases to the ocean floor!
Old 20-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Sir AntiLag

[JAZZIE] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [JAZZIE]

if you want fuel prices to scare you.. try living in a country town where the fuel truck doesnt come so often.. even worse a country town that doesnt do ultimate 98/optimax/vortex... then come back and cry about fuel prices.

i dont even look at the price after living around WA and filling up my old car in scarce country towns.

Perth Petrol is cheap.

I'm sure i wont be saying this when/if it hits $5/L.. how ever it can always be worse... look on the bright side.. atleast perth wont have an obesity problem.. because we will have to walk and we wont be able to afford to eat.. lol )
Old 20-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JAZZIE]
if you want fuel prices to scare you.. try living in a country town where the fuel truck doesnt come so often.. even worse a country town that doesnt do ultimate 98/optimax/vortex... then come back and cry about fuel prices.

i dont even look at the price after living around WA and filling up my old car in scarce country towns.

Perth Petrol is cheap.

I'm sure i wont be saying this when/if it hits $5/L.. how ever it can always be worse... look on the bright side.. atleast perth wont have an obesity problem.. because we will have to walk and we wont be able to afford to eat.. lol )

In all them arabia countries they pay like 15 cents / L

thats cheap!
Old 20-11-2007, 04:12 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

yep, i remember everyone saying fuel was going to hit $2, i did a road trip up to broom and didnt pay anything UNDER $2 a litre..

also didnt pay any less than $4 for a bottle of coke
Old 20-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Sir AntiLag

[JAZZIE] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [JAZZIE]

bring back the days of paying 70c/L when i got my first car lol :P

public transport pricing is just as shit.
Old 20-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Flat Four Father

muggz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JAZZIE]
bring back the days of paying 70c/L when i got my first car lol :P

public transport pricing is just as shit.

Correct me if im wrong, but thats like back in 1975?
Old 20-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level

im 20 and i can still remember around 68c / L
Old 20-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Bring back the days of LPG at 19c / L. Just like it was the first two weeks I had it on my kingwood. Hardly ever went under 29c / L after I put it on.

If you didn't want a boot it might be a good thing on a WRX with the very high octane rating!!!
Old 20-11-2007, 05:00 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Its interesting that people/ general public "think" that oil reserves are going to deplete and no more discovery's are going to be made (im trying to swing this back on topic). From a geological point of view I laugh at those who say we will have no more fossil fuels to burn resulting in major price hikes. People simply don't actually have any idea as too how big the planet is and the mega potential we have for further discovery's whether they be oil/gas or coal.

As for nuclear fuel and its associated waste products, i think the next government will have alot to say about whether the nuclear industry is to continue here in Australia.

Traditionally the "left" side wont support exploration/mining and refinement of U308, and with the Australian public going to the polls very soon - this debate might actually become irrelevant as Australia follows NZ into a Nuclear free state ...?

Tags
heard, scariest, thing