Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

If you dont believe that the colour of your car has anything to do with how well it can be seen, you are not thinking about this enough.

Jester is right on the ball. What is easier to see, a red/orange car (think VE commie colour) or a silver one? it's all about peripheral vision and subconscious vision; that's what you use on the road a lot more than you think.
Ever started changing into another lane and pretty much known you don't have a car beside you/close behind without really looking? It's because when you are driving you are constantly checking mirrors and are aware of traffic around you, although some of these actions you do not do consciously. Hence when you change lanes you may only check your blind spot when half way across 'just in case' because you actually know there's no-one there because your brain has recorded the information you have been collecting but hasn't consciously processed it (as much as you may think anyway).

What the hell am I on about? What has this got to do with the colour of a car?
Well, if you're not always consciously being aware of EVERTYTHING that goes on around you, your mind will leave out details. If there's a dark grey car, say, just behind your blind spot which blends into the road and you dont consciously become aware of it (due to it not standing out), you may change lanes and not think about it and the next thing you know you've hit him and spin out. BUT say if it's a VE and it's orange or what not, you may start changing lanes and something in your brain may suddenly go "hey, there was a bright orange shape back there a moment ago wasn't there?" and you will check mirrors etc, most times even before starting the lane-changing manouver.

It may sound silly or not that important but, to aid my credibility here with this info, I have done projects when I was in highschool on car crashes; I have studied graphic design (colour theory and the likes were very interesting and important); and my mum is manager at Armadale Hospital and sees so many accidents in which she may have to give info (car colour) and she is constantly telling me its black and grey cars which crash the most (not driver error but others crash into them).
So I think what I'm saying has some facts to back it up.

So anyone in previous posts who thinks these guys who come up with these stats and tests just wank all day and make up crap, you're only half right.

man i gotta stop dribbling. everyone elses posts are 1 line! damn me and being informative.

PS: that point I made about changing lanes is just the start of it. Jester was also right in the 'overtaking a roadtrain' part, and there are so many more situations in which car colour is a factor.

Last edited by R R8D REX; 15-01-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
you guys have obviously never overtaken a road train and, gotten halfway and then found a silver car without its headlights on coming towards you because they blend into the road / heat wave.

all cars should be bright pink!

but seriously, lights on > *
While I dont think lights need to be on all the time, but I know what they mean by Silver cars are harder to see. Ive found the problem is compounded by people who cant think for themselves, and dont turn on their lights during unfavourable conditions.
Seems people get the mentality of, "I can see where I am going, so I dont need lights" but fail to think if anyone can see them.

I ALWAYS turn on my lights when its really overcast, or raining, or any other thing that may impair the visibility of other drivers, in the end, its in your own best interests.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

I vote BEIGE as my new car colour
That is all.

Last edited by subarooboy; 16-01-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 16-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I would like to know what kind of crashes each colour car was involved in before anyone could pass judgement. Also how many cars were used in the sample size?

i.e. Car X v.s. a silver car on a country highway with no lights

or

Car Y v.s. a silver car at a shopping centre

or

Car Z v.s. out of control speeding on the wrong side of the road yellow car.

Completely different scenarios there.
Old 16-01-2008, 07:28 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

rain makes visibility of these cars very difficult to see.

there was similiar research done some 5-7 years ago (if i recall correctly) and it found silver was the unsafest, while yellow was safest. This was due to the silvers cars 'blending' in with the road surface and rain/=mist.

im off to work. but im sure someone will be able to find the actual report fom the publisher.
Old 16-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

The majority of you are probably to young to remember but James Dean was killed in a silver porche spider when some dipshit turned in front of him. Fact is some cars just disappear into the souroundings as happened in JD's case.

Was stunned to see it myself with the black pig walking home one day. Mrs was driving down the street from the opposite direction. The car just disappeared in the heat haze. Could see the parked white car she went around clear as a bell.

I drive with the lights on EVERY time my car moves. Sure I have a few dickheads think I must not know they are on try to INFORM me of the fact but I know said dickhead will not hit me.
Old 16-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTi
The majority of you are probably to young to remember but James Dean was killed in a silver porche spider when some dipshit turned in front of him. Fact is some cars just disappear into the souroundings as happened in JD's case.
Completely off topic, but James Dean died in 1955 - thats 53 years ago now, which given my memory abilities would mean you would have to be at least 63 to remember that. Also cars of 1955 are completely different to modern cars.

Whilst car colour can make a difference (and like most people I have discovered the 'ghost car' on a country highway), what I personally don't like about these studies is it makes owners of a certain colour feel safer and therefore less attentive to their surroundings whilst driving. (not all people I know, but enough)

I notice the mentality with some of my friends that if they are under the speed limit, they are safe from crashes and death. The fact that they can't drive properly doesn't seem to come into their heads. Now if they back up that up with 'ooh I drive a 1970's white Corolla, I'm doubly safe' it is not a good situation.
Old 16-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

surprised silver is on the unsafe list, given its usually metallic and shiny.... but the rest are all likely to blend into the environment and less likely to be seen / take moments longer to be registered recognised. so... DUH :P

Last edited by werticusness; 16-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Tags
cars, roads, safe, silver