Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Mac Users: Running Windows Programs/Games Natively on a Mac (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/17674-mac-users-running-windows-programs-games-natively-mac.html)

MKVIGTI 29-02-2008 08:07 AM

Hey Kato. Thinking of changing in the next month or so. Did you cross the fence and happy you did or not so sure.

Are all the Mac guru's out there still saying don't run anti virus software on a Mac or has there been a change of heart???

What about anti spyware software or is that also not an issue for Macs????

Is there really much differance between the Macbooks and the Macbook Pro's. Other than the Graphics card ( with the smaller screen to run I'm guessing they are about equal ) I cant really see a lot. Would prefer the macbook if it is going to make next to no differance. Of course I will get the fastest CPU for it and the 4 gig Ram and the 250 GB harddrive in whichever I get.

devilfish 29-02-2008 08:27 AM

owned a mac for 5 years, have 2 currently, imac g5 and new Macbookpro, never installed an antivirus or spyware program, never had a virus!

I HAVE NEVER EVEN RE_INSTALLED THE OS!

people go on about possible pain in changing from a windows pc..

Imagine that when you swap from a windows PC its like being cured of a bad back.. there is no pain... hehe

you'll wonder WTF you were doing using windows..

You may get bored tho.. as youll get to actually use the computer for work/creativity 100% of the time.. you'll miss fucking with the registry/chasing obsucure hardware software conflicts / and reading endless forums devoted to fixing said problem!

Macbook pro's are the way if you want to play games, vanilla macbook's havent got the graphics oomph, also the pro's case is sex and i think can take more memory / and swap batteries etc

C

DAN682 29-02-2008 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=devilfish]owned a mac for 5 years, have 2 currently, imac g5 and new Macbookpro, never installed an antivirus or spyware program, never had a virus!

I HAVE NEVER EVEN RE_INSTALLED THE OS!

people go on about possible pain in changing from a windows pc..

Imagine that when you swap from a windows PC its like being cured of a bad back.. there is no pain... hehe

you'll wonder WTF you were doing using windows..

You may get bored tho.. as youll get to actually use the computer for work/creativity 100% of the time.. you'll miss fucking with the registry/chasing obsucure hardware software conflicts / and reading endless forums devoted to fixing said problem!

Macbook pro's are the way if you want to play games, vanilla macbook's havent got the graphics oomph, also the pro's case is sex and i think can take more memory / and swap batteries etc

C[/QUOTE]

+2

So very well said! I have not touched a windows PC in a while, last night my mate was over, had issues and I had to mess with the registry for a while to make it work again, I am so glad I use a Mac, PC's fuckn suck

Kato 29-02-2008 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=BlackSTi]Hey Kato. Thinking of changing in the next month or so. Did you cross the fence and happy you did or not so sure.[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying another Windows laptop and have been very happy with it so far. The mac, whilst being a nice looking notebook didn't have the compatibility I required and was also a lot dearer.

devilfish 29-02-2008 09:07 AM

care to share your compatibility problems? i have had no issues running any windows apps using boot camp.

MKVIGTI 29-02-2008 09:13 AM

If I want to run XP through bootcamp or paralells can I use the recovery discs from my old toshiba laptop which long since died or do I need to get a new version of windows from somewhere. If I need a new version where do I get one and aproxamately how much does it cost???

devilfish 29-02-2008 09:21 AM

you may be able to, but the pirate bay for the win, you do own a copy of xp so technically you'll be ok. :)

Kato 29-02-2008 09:22 AM

Of course boot camp will work, but I don't see the point of dual booting. Technically I can do that with the Windows machine and install a hackintosh OSX. I spent a lot of time when my code would only work under *nix and had to constantly dual boot into different OS's for different programs. Not the most efficient thing to do.

Also, not having the opportunity to test if programs / codecs etc will work natively under OSX stopped me from purchasing.

In saying all that, I'd say Macs are on the verge of becoming quite mainstream. If you only do computing that can be run natively on a Mac, they are well worth it. Over time, I'm sure most things will be ported across.

devilfish 29-02-2008 09:30 AM

yea i can see it would be a pain in the ass iff you were constantly flicking between OS's,
i only use windows on my Mac for gaming, all serious stuff is done in OSX, for the general consumer who is ripping / office apps / net / music / graphics OSX is superior if your a coder well you really should be using a generic beige box, Gamers will know that XP is the platform of choice.

MKVIGTI 29-02-2008 12:18 PM

Went down to Next Byte in Nedlands and think I will probably be the proud owner of a new baby 15in Macbook Pro in the nextmonth or so.

They suggested iWork would probably suit my few times a year using a spreadsheet or word document. They are probably right but am I going to run into any issues of any file types that I cant open ( EG Powerpoint PPS files ) or am I going to be fine with just about anything that I get in an e-mail.

Office Home for the mac isn't much more just would prefer not to donate to bill gates if possible.