Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Speeding fines to increase, again. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/17853-speeding-fines-increase-again.html)

Elrico 03-02-2008 07:09 PM

Speeding fines to increase, again.

Just wacthing the TV, Skynews. One of the politians reckon if they get it through parliment it will become;

30-39km/h is now $350 soon $700

45km+ is now $2400 soon $7000.

No seatbelt will be 9 demerit points for more then 4 people in the car without them.

1st offence for hoon laws could be 7 days instead of 48 hours and;

2nd time is 14 days+

Mobile $100 to $250

Says this should stop people from speeding.........

WhiteRX 03-02-2008 07:15 PM

I think it is not speeding that kills but more ignorance. That person obviously has no idea that fines dont stop idiots from speeding, infact the people who speed all the time dont care about the laws at all, and when they get the fine more than likely wont pay it, or put it on a pay $10 a month for the next 100 years plan..

my3_wrc 03-02-2008 07:28 PM

i think you added one to many 0 on the 45km+ but i would have to agree with whiterx
what they need is to stop p platers driving hi powered cars and more driver education
and none of this 2nd chance crap they get one chance if they want to go out there and do this sht they dont deserve to have the right to drive :angryfire :angryfire

SilentKilla 03-02-2008 07:36 PM

I like the mobile one, i see so many people talking on mobiles its not funny.

If the "30-39km/h is now $350 soon $700" stays in that speed range i think its ok, i mean if your over 30kmph then your an idiot to get done anyway.

impr3zive 03-02-2008 07:44 PM

yeh im a p-plater and i agree with my3 wrc is that p-platers should not have high powered cars.. i got a non-turbo 1.8 gx that is more than enough power...

theprotest 03-02-2008 08:11 PM

Pfft. As has been said COUNTLESS times, you can die in a three cylinder Charade.

I say go for it. Bigger fines, longer sentences.

In some states in America you can do a drivers education course to ADD points to your license... Perhaps this should be adopted here?

LTDGC8 03-02-2008 08:13 PM

yepz...in the paper today too....

Hoons: currently....48hrs for first and subsequent offences, soon...7days for 1st offence and 28days for second and subsequent offences

Speeding: currently...exceeding by 20-39km/h from $250-$500, soon.... from $300-$850

Reckless Driving: currently...1st offence $1000, 2nd $1200, 3rd $2400, soon...1st offence $2000, 2nd $3000, 3rd $4000

MObile phone penalties: currently...$100+3 points, soon $250+3 points

Seat Belt Penalties: currently...$500+4 points (driver) $500+4points (for passengers under 16 years), soon... $500+4 points (driver), but also fined for all unrestrained passangers.

Brendan08 03-02-2008 08:18 PM

Time to buy a push bike issit?

my3_wrc 03-02-2008 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=theprotest]Pfft. As has been said COUNTLESS times, you can die in a three cylinder Charade.

I say go for it. Bigger fines, longer sentences.

In some states in America you can do a drivers education course to ADD points to your license... Perhaps this should be adopted here?[/QUOTE]

yes you can but witch are you more likely to be a hoon in a 3 cylinder charade or a sti?

theprotest 03-02-2008 08:42 PM

Which one? I don't think the car defines the driver mate.

Just my opinion though.

Wiiha 03-02-2008 08:47 PM

EASILY MANAGED:

Restrict P-platers of only driving 4cylinder cars (adopt the same principle as P platers riding only 250cc).

The fine regarding seat belts, pretty much uncalled for. The driver and any passengers take FULL responsibility of their actions. Accident+no seat belt= death

theprotest 03-02-2008 08:50 PM

Or... We could adjust the road toll to driving population and realise that there really isn't an issue at all?

These threads are always doomed from the outset.

Wiiha 03-02-2008 08:53 PM

yeah but we always ALWAYS hear on the news regarding an accident involving a ignorant P-plater behind the wheels of a commodore. Yet they still don't do anything..

theprotest 03-02-2008 08:53 PM

What more is there to do? People die. It sucks. But, it happens.

wild_rx 03-02-2008 08:54 PM

They need to do something, but looking at that they are doing a bit of revenue raising! for a start p platers should only get 6 points not 12, and there are plenty of other ways to stop the fatalities other than more money and points.

Although if you are being stupid and speeding tat much anyway you do deserve to be punished.

My 2c

Wiiha 03-02-2008 08:54 PM

i agree but they die bcoz they're driving vehicles that they can't control. Its an easily avoidable issue, yet the government doesn't address it appropriately

the kiwi 03-02-2008 08:56 PM

i dislike carpenters comment

"easist and cheapist option"

or words to that affect.

easiest: because he doesnt have to do anything other than sign a document.

cheapest: because the fines will help cover admin costs.

another pointless headline grabbing move in the lead up to this years election.

personally. id like to see a focus on and the cracking down on unsafe vehicles. both illegally modified and rusted to death physically and piloted by people who lack or chose not to use the driving skills they have allegedly been taught.

BN01 03-02-2008 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=Wiiha]i agree but they die bcoz they're driving vehicles that they can't control. Its an easily avoidable issue, yet the government doesn't address it appropriately[/QUOTE]

They're driving a vehicle they cant control, so you reckon the solution is simply to ban them from driving that vehicle? Your no better than the government mate. Blanket solutions all round! Would it not make more sense to perhaps educate the driver so they CAN control any vehicle? Its about time the Government woke up and stopped thinking with they're wallets and started actually solving the problem.

theprotest 03-02-2008 09:01 PM

Tim, you make good points. I hate to sound heartless, but...

My main gripe is there is no correlation between population increase and road toll.

They increase the P-Plate length by 300% and wonder why the P-Plate accident number hasn't gone down?

Is it just me?

It can't be.

Wiiha 03-02-2008 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=BN01]They're driving a vehicle they cant control, so you reckon the solution is simply to ban them from driving that vehicle? Your no better than the government mate. Blanket solutions all round! Would it not make more sense to perhaps educate the driver so they CAN control any vehicle? Its about time the Government woke up and stopped thinking with they're wallets and started actually solving the problem.[/QUOTE]

Honestly mate, do u think this generation will actually listen to what the govt. has to say about SAFE DRIVING? think about it when u first got your P. You've just received your liscense and now your going to get educated??? you straight away want to get behind any vehicle and drive.

theprotest 03-02-2008 09:03 PM

Every fine someone receives should result in certain amounts of driver training.

EG> 0-9km/h over = 30 minutes driver training

wild_rx 03-02-2008 09:03 PM

I agrre with you totally Nik, they keep telling us that the population is booming and they want less accidents.....:confused:

the first thing would be better driver education, when you go for your licence they just teach you how to pass. They dont teach you how to control a car in a potentially dangerous situation!

BN01 03-02-2008 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]I like the mobile one, i see so many people talking on mobiles its not funny.

[/QUOTE]

This ones all well and good, but unfortunately its something an officer has to actually pick you up for, and i personally dont think most officers can be arsed pulling people over for it (or are even looking for). They can increase the fine all they want, it wont stop me using my phone. Luckily i concentrate on the driving rather than the talking, unlike the stupid "soccer mums" i see that are clearly so caught up in they're conversation, they couldnt care whats going on around they're 2tonne of Merc M-class.

BN01 03-02-2008 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=Wiiha]Honestly mate, do u think this generation will actually listen to what the govt. has to say about SAFE DRIVING? think about it when u first got your P. You've just received your liscense and now your going to get educated??? you straight away want to get behind any vehicle and drive.[/QUOTE]

Im not talking about a safe driving advertisment. Theyve been there, done that. Im talking mandatory advanced driving training. None of this, do a multi choice test, driving around for 20mins, reverse park a couple of times, click and few buttons on a mouse and "Here you go, enjoy killing yourself in your daddys Monaro, heres your licence champ". Get P-platers out there at AHG on the skid pans. At least that way when they go out and act like a hero infront of their mates, theyve got half a chance of correcting it when they fuck it up.

Of course the bigger issue will always be the mindset of the driver. If they wanna drive like a knob, they will. But at least this way, somewhere in the back of their mind, they might remember what they were taught that day on the skid pan and correct their mistake, hopefully saving a life.

theprotest 03-02-2008 09:13 PM

This is always such a charged topic, it's good to see three pages without any mud slinging.

Honestly, I just want to see the real figures, adjusted for driving population over the last 20 years.

I will eat my hat if the number has actually increased.

my3_wrc 03-02-2008 09:14 PM

what i am trying to get at is its alot easier to kill your self in a hi powerd car and no knowledge. so if you start in a car like a charade and work your way to a sti you will have the knowledge to handle the power but everyone has the right to there own opinion

BN01 03-02-2008 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=my3_wrc]what i am trying to get at is its alot easier to kill your self in a hi powerd car and no knowledge. so if you start in a car like a charade and work your way to a sti you will have the knowledge to handle the power but everyone has the right to there own opinion[/QUOTE]

I think thats a terrible comparison personally. How many airbags does your average Charade have? ESP? TC? AWD even? Its lacking in the safety department, not to mention its a tiny tin can of a thing. At least if a young driver is in a new car, with many airbags, and all the safety mod cons, regardless of the power, surely they're going to be safer when they do inevitably put the boot in and get it wrong?

theprotest 03-02-2008 09:19 PM

I don't really see that as cut and dry, a high powered car more often than not has better safety features than a POS... so it's really all down to the driver mentality.

IMHO.

EDIT: Basically reiterating BN01's comments - just a second or two too slow.

Mat 03-02-2008 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=my3_wrc]what i am trying to get at is its alot easier to kill your self in a hi powerd car and no knowledge. so if you start in a car like a charade and work your way to a sti you will have the knowledge to handle the power but everyone has the right to there own opinion[/QUOTE]

Then you get the flipside of that.

Young guy buys an MY02 STi (getting cheap now) and while it might be heaps faster than mums charade, i bet when the young guy hops in mum or dads car he will push the boundaries more as mum and dad will foot the bills, whereas if it was his car he might look after it more?

my3_wrc 03-02-2008 09:34 PM

like i said everyone has the right to there own opinion you could have all the same safety things in both cars and i think it would be better off in low powered car

bojan07 03-02-2008 10:12 PM

I think you are wrong there. How can a Charade compare to an sti? if you learn to drive a charade thats exactly what you learn to drive. When you sit in an sti its a whole different drive. The charade driving isn't going to help much.

WhiteRX 03-02-2008 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=Wiiha]EASILY MANAGED:

Restrict P-platers of only driving 4cylinder cars (adopt the same principle as P platers riding only 250cc).

The fine regarding seat belts, pretty much uncalled for. The driver and any passengers take FULL responsibility of their actions. Accident+no seat belt= death[/QUOTE]

I dont think that will solve anything. I know for a fact that when i had my NA RX impreza, that it beat many v6 commodores, and would thrash old VK, XF's etc. Think of a 1.8l KJ2 ford laser, Toyota corolla, etc

The only difference, A big car is a death trap, and especially with stock suspension, commodores are deadly. Why, most large cars are poorly engineered, and quite frankly drive like shit. Then you have cars like a BMW X5 that have dreadfull handling on the limits, and have a very short transition between grip and loss of control.

But i know that most will disagree with me...

Mat 03-02-2008 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX]The only difference, A big car is a death trap, and especially with stock suspension, commodores are deadly. Why, most large cars are poorly engineered, and quite frankly drive like shit.
[/QUOTE]

Bit of a bold statement. At the front of my work yesterday a VN commodore ran t boned a newish corolla (hertz hire car with tourists!). SFA damage to the VN (big, heavy car) yet the rolla had some serious rear end damage.

Some might argue that smaller cars are just as dangerous especially if they crush in around you. At the end of the day any car hitting a big chunk of tree at 120kms is going to result in serious damage or death regardless whether is a commodore, toyota aurion, 4wd, ferrari etc.

Hoon laws dont work, increased fines wont work (perhaps the extra money they raise can go towards improving road safety) BUT to joe public it looks as though the government is doing the right thing and trying to make the streets safer. Thats what counts to people like Grant Dorrington and Alan Carpenter

Of course the road toll will rise this year (and next..). More and more people are getting licenses. Percentage of fatalities compared to road users will probably remain about the same though.

Master D 03-02-2008 11:21 PM

I dont know whether it would help or not but i think the restrictin P Platers idea is growse. its been in full swing in sydney for a while now and it has help reduce the P plater fatalities but dicks will always be dicks. you just hope if i dickhead crashes they only take themselves out and not an innocent family. Training, fines, education and the general public attitude of " it doesnt matter, only a few over doesnt matter" needs to change to see a drop in deaths.

but thats just me.

V3 RA 04-02-2008 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=Mat]Then you get the flipside of that.

Young guy buys an MY02 STi (getting cheap now) and while it might be heaps faster than mums charade, i bet when the young guy hops in mum or dads car he will push the boundaries more as mum and dad will foot the bills, whereas if it was his car he might look after it more?[/QUOTE]

i think your exactly right...im a p plater and slaved my ass off to save money to buy my club spec evo 2, i work nights at a fast food place and go to uni etc, sure ive tested the limits of my car as im sure most of you have too, on roads i know in conditions that are safe...but eventually reality sets in my bank account is rarely above $1000, cant afford to for example rebuild a gearbox or something if it breaks, i need my car to get around and i respect my car so i drive accordingly

it seems a few of you guys have forgotten how it was when you first got your license!

werticusness 04-02-2008 12:30 AM

there does not appear to be any fine for running down short sighted politicians :)

you know what to do.

Smokey 04-02-2008 12:48 AM

The biggest problem is maintenance, doesnt matter what car your in, if its got bald tyres, flabby shocks and grubby window youre going to crash it. Restricting car type to P platers appears to be a good option, but i used to get around in a holden nova when i 1st got my license and yes i know its top speed... problem is shit box little cars have shitter "limits", so if the shit hits the fan theres no saving it. They need to stop selling shit cars, and start getting old and unmaintained cars off the streets. Mandatory road worthiness checks FTW.

Hurtenstein 04-02-2008 03:44 AM

p plater restrictions is wrong, its real nazi like.
anything banned by a govt is wrong, its peoples choice. people know the risks.
same as seatbelts and bike helmets, who's choice is? the fucking wearer
who's going to get hurt? the wearer (or non).

young people are going to die, whether it be on roads, drinking accidents, or just plain accidents. but most will involve risk taking. because thats what young people do. its human nature. you will never ever change that.

so for fucks sake, stop trying to be hitler and spoiling some of lifes joys for everyone because you want to stop the inevitable.

nang3 04-02-2008 07:35 AM

I think we all have to face the fact that the government will never take the road toll and road safety seriously.
They blatantly deceive the general population in regards to accident stats and they think we are dumb enough to blindly accept it all??
unfortunately the majority of the public does swallow it hook line and sinker and believes that because the road toll is 5 deaths higher this year that something needs to be done against hoons and speeding etc!! never mind the fact that there are X thousand new P platers on the road.
Same with them always blaming speed as the cause or a factor, if someone crashes doing 55 in a 50 zone but they weren't wearing seatbelts, that 5kph will make SFA difference yet they will blame speeding first, then seatbelts

Craig 04-02-2008 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=BN01]They're driving a vehicle they cant control, so you reckon the solution is simply to ban them from driving that vehicle? Your no better than the government mate. Blanket solutions all round! Would it not make more sense to perhaps educate the driver so they CAN control any vehicle? Its about time the Government woke up and stopped thinking with they're wallets and started actually solving the problem.[/QUOTE]

Agree!