Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-2008, 11:42 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Poncha at standard level
Default Grand Prix, the movie

Anyone else seen? Yeah, old movie (made in 1966), had heard good things about it, so got around to watching it (bought 2-disc ed from JB).
Bloody awesome flick- plot is pretty weak, but f*%k me, the shots they get from the cars is awesome. No bullshit special effects, which makes the film so much more amazing. No way can something like that be made today!
Gives a real feel for how insanely dangerous F1 was back then.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060472/
Old 17-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

From IMDB:
"Of the 32 drivers who participated or were seen in the film, five died in racing accidents in the next two years and another five in the following 10 years"

That's some amazing shit. gotta see this
Old 18-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

its an *awesome* movie, I think I had the making of somewhere too. they go on to say how it really showed how deadly the sport was, it was filmed at a time before the major safety changes were made, a few years later and the movie wouldn't have been able to be filmed. they filmed some of the boring plot on the day before the race, then filmed the race itself (even had cameras on peoples cars IN the actual race) and then built the story around what actually happened in the race. if someone crashed, they made a character crash etc.

Being such an old movie, it can get a bit boring, but once you realise the style you can really appreciate a lot of other old movies (im lso a HUGE fan of Casablanca)
Old 18-02-2008, 01:56 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Poncha at standard level

The making of and special features makes you appreciate the movie so much more. But even more so, what F1 was like back in the day.
I personally didn't know much about racing in the 60's apart from the names (Brabham, Hill, JYS, McLaren, Rindt). It truly is a wonder more of them didn't die, the way the racing was back then. In one scene, they literally cut the driver's cockpit down the side to get him out, as the monocoque is only made of aluminium! None of this crash-tested carbon tub, kevlar-lined fuel tanked, roll-hoop malarky Kubica's crash in Montreal last year is a testament to that.

/rant :P

Last edited by Poncha; 18-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Tags
grand, movie, prix