Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Philbo at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Philbo
Default Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger

Hey guys

Folks are planning on retiring within a year, Chasing a Mazda or a Ford
either a BT-50 Single Cab 4x2 with 2.5td or a Ranger 4x2 High Rider with the 3td, I know a few people here have dealt with Ford and worked for them and a few that work for Mazda. It will be towing a 1.6ton Caravan and were after a few accesories fitted from factory.

There looking at buying within the next 4 months so any help and information i.e upcoming deals and shite would be great. Pros and Cons of both models and yes we know they share the same chassis.

Cheers in Advance

Phil
Old 22-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

The BT-50 won 4WD ute of the year in 2007 even though you are looking at a 4X2 they are built from the same DNA. I have a BT-50 SDX Dual Cab Auto which I absolutely love. It tows my 2.5ton boat no problem at all. At the moment we have the 4X2 DX priced at $23,540 drive away with 12 months rego. If your oldies are old enough to hold a seniors card or either of them are a war vet, they will effectively pay retail, no stamp, no gst, nothing.

The Ranger is pretty much the same car.

For the first time Mazda built the BT-50 as they had enough with fords poor build quality of the Couriers (which we called the bravos) so we built our own, then ford asked if they could re-badge the BT as a ranger. Both cars are pretty much the same however the Ranger has electric windows in their poverty packs. They also run a softer suspension setup which is crap for towing.

The BT-50 is also cheaper in most models esp with the $7000 discount being offered for them at the moment.

If you want to take one for a drive come on down and see me at Mandurah Mazda. There is a pretty big wait on certain colour choices and specs so they will want to place an order in the next month or so if they want it for 3 months time.

Dan
Old 22-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wild_rx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to wild_rx

Phil, come and see me and i'll hook them up with a cheap one

Havent had any problems with them at all
Old 22-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

scooby99 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scooby99

My work car is a BT-50 space cab 3.0td 4x2. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago (had to wait 3 months for the thing to arrive, aparently white is a popular colour!!!). I wouldnt go the 2.5 td as seemed to lack some balls, especially if your planning on towing a caravan.

More than welcome to come have a look and can go for a drive if it helps
Old 22-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Philbo at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Philbo

Thanks guys, Scooby if we cant get a demo from a dealer easily enough then will let you know, thanks for the offer.

Tim tried ringing you before but no answer......Cheers.

Dan Thanks for the info mate, will call in when we are next down that way.

Phil
Old 23-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Dont fuck around. Go and buy a hilux. Yes the buy in price is a little higher but look at the reliablility and resale values. Awesome. I have two couriers in my fleet that I thought I would try. They were over $10k cheaper than the equivalent spec hilux and it shows. If they are retiring and going to keep the thing for a while buy a hilux.

Also Dan might be able to fill us in but I am pretty sure that the BT50 is still running the same chassis as the last one. Just new sheet metal and engine combo.

brendon
Old 23-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

My demo is for sale for a little on $40K for the SDX

The Hilux is $15K more expensive and the BT-50 is made in the same factory as the Hilux, they are all thai built.

The BT-50 is a full re-design the Bravo was built by Fomoco this is a full Mazda build except for the glass which is Fomoco (We will regret that we used Ford parts soon.)

Last edited by DAN682; 23-03-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 23-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tone79 at standard level

my bro has a BT-50 great ute highly recommend them.
Old 23-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I pay $51k for a hilux 4wd sr5 dual cab in auto. I have 4 in the fleet and have them on a 2 year rotation. Currently there is a 7 month wait. So when I pick one up I order another one. I am getting my next one on Tuesday and they gave me $38k as a trade in. March 06 with 73k on the odo. I claim 20% depreciation in the first year so it makes it seriously cheap motoring. Couple that with fuel economy for the above vehicle around town in the low 9ltr / 100kms. Also no FBT cause it is a commercial vehicle.

All the mining companies / south perth 4wd / hertz etc are buying hilux's. Dont mean to sound a bigot but it is a bit like the ipod / iriver etc debate. It is the industry standard and with good reason. The other products might be there or thereabouts in terms of quality but if I was travelling around aus and I broke a radiator hose which brand is the local servo more likely to carry?
Old 24-03-2008, 05:06 PM
JPG012

The Hilux is finally getting some competition with the BT50 being better than the previous Brave/Couriers Common Rail diesels are on par with the Hilux.
I have several Rodeos and an 07 Hilux in our fleet and my most recent order was for a BT50.My decisison was swayed somewhat on price for sure but the Toyota is not light years ahead in terms of performance.most diesel commercial utes seem to hold their value reasonably well, Toyota is not alone!

Tags
bt50, ford, mazda, ranger