Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Golding at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Golding

that list above says no mms and no bluetooth connection unless to a headset.

how would you send pictures?

can you not use bluetooth to connect to other phones to send ringtones, pictures etc?

if not thatd suck as theres no infrared port either?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Blueraven at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_OwNeD
i agree!

1. Bluetooth is ONLY good for connecting a headset. That’s it.
So what? I have never used bluetooth for anything else.

2. There is no file browser on the device at all. Data must be organized (if at all) in the appropriate application.

Bullshit, 3rd party appz ftw

3. The camera is a simple application that has ONE button: the shutter. Pictures come out okay on the device, but nothing too fancy on a monitor, especially if it was an attempt at a macro shot.

Again, bullshit, mine takes videos, has zoom etc etc..same as any other camera phone, again 3rd party appz. easy.

4. SIM card is damn near impossible to open, if at all. I didn’t look into it extensively.

well open your eyes next time, all its takes is a paper clip and about 3 seconds.

5. Web browser is slow, even over WLAN. Even the simple OneList web app that was created takes around 20 seconds to load over WLAN. You can not highlight, cut, copy, or paste and text from a website, and you can not save any images you find from a website either. The only nice thing about it is the tabbed browsing, which crashed on me when I went to Engadget and YouTube on two tabs. This is the only application that allows you to use the keyboard in landscape mode.

BS again...they updated the keyboard on one of the software patches, and i dont know why yours was slow, mine is just as fast at home on wifi as my PC, and the edge browsing is livable. Copy and paste is also easy now with a 3rd party app.

6. The keyboard sucks. It gets slightly better after the iPhone “learns” you, as the employees said, but even then, it’s not a device you can use with one hand comfortably, much less without looking.

Hilarious, first five minutes you use it yes, but i had to borrow a mates phone the other day (nokia n95) and was shocked at how slow and crap the typing was. I type texts with my thumb often on mine, but to crank out at speed i use ..wait for it..two hands.

7. You can only send one picture at a time in an email.

To be honest i have never tried, i have a 3rd party application that lets me send as much as i want, but i never send shit like that from my phone so meh.

8. No custom ringtones (yet, as we were being told) and the alert tones can not be changed whatsoever.

Farken rofl. i lost count how many times i have changed mine.

9. The default ringtones are incredibly lame.

Agreed.

10. The only form of customization outside of a lame default ringtone is the wallpaper, which you’ll only see when you need to unlock the device or when you get a phone call.

Get a clue, thousand of themes, buttons, wallpapers etc. fully customisable. do a search for 'summerboard'

11. “Picture pinching” or using two fingers to zoom on any content is certainly fun to play with, but not practical whatsoever. This operation depends solely on using the device with two hands.

Yep, works well, people 'oooh' whenever i show them how it works. Good thing i have two hands.

12. No document editor or native viewer. You can not store documents on the device to be viewed, they can only be viewed as attachments when they’re sent to your in an email.

You name it i can open it and edit it. Word/pdf/excel etc etc.

13. Visual voicemail is laggy and reacts about the same way as pushing the fast forward and rewind buttons on traditional voicemail systems. The only advantage is for those that get that many voicemail messages a day that they need to sort them according to priority.

never bothered using it.

14. NO games. None.

You must mean aside from my NES/PSone/PS2/gameboy emulators with thousands of games, or the hundreds of games developed especially for the iphone by 3rd party applications. Thats like saying xbox/ps3 sux, they dont come with games built in.

15. No voice dialing.

Yeah, never used that on any previous phone either so meh. anyones phone actually do it reliably?

16. No speed dialing (which can be made up by the “quick list”, but getting to that quick list isn’t as fast as holding a single key on a real keypad).

hmm. cant say it ever bothered me, one swipe and two pushes.

17. No video.

Not even sure what you mean by that one, since its an Ipod and plays as much video as it will hold, but again, 3rd party app and hey presto, the camera will record until your 16gb is done.

18. No MMS.

It does have a 3rd party app that will do it, but i havent sent one since i found out they are 90c each to send. Only ever recieved about 4 in the last 5 years so i sleep ok at night without it.

19. It’s still <4GB for $500 and <8GB for $600

I think you mean 8 an 16gb and yeah, for that price your other options for that kind of storage on a phone are????

20. It only takes around 2 hours to explore every menu without any options for expandability except to scrounge around for new web apps that will load slowly and nowhere near as smoothly as the native apps.

2 hours? in 30 seconds it loads a list of hundreds of these 3rd party apps which i keep mentioning, and i havent had a single fault with any i have downloaded.

Had mine since september last year. best phone i have ever had, had it for nearly 9 months and it still amazes me with some of the stuff it does. Half my office has pre-ordered iPhones since they saw mine, and 5 bought them a while ago from the USA after playing with mine.

Last edited by Blueraven; 10-07-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ReppohC at standard level

I don't mind all this hype the iphone gets... Its a little annoying how they tout it as some amazing do everything device that "does more then some pcs" (according to seven news?). Its pretty crippled (can only play mp4 videos, mp3 playlists are shocking, no flash support, no file browser, etc).

I own an itouch (jailbroken) and it pretty much does everything the iphone does. You'd be surprised at the quality of some of the software you can get. MOST of the issues above have been fixed through 3rd party programs/tweaks/patches although that's far from ideal.

EDIT: beaten to it. Pretty much every negative of the iphone has been patched through software. ALTHOUGH I have heard they have a nifty method for working out if you jailbreak it and it voids your warrenty? You have to use the apple store => $$$ =>

Can't wait to find out what the deal is. Cause if you CAN jailbreak it (or if most of the apple store software is free (HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right ) then I'd almost be interested in buying one. Almost :P

Last edited by ReppohC; 10-07-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueraven
Had mine since september last year. best phone i have ever had, had it for nearly 9 months and it still amazes me with some of the stuff it does. Half my office has pre-ordered iPhones since they saw mine, and 5 bought them a while ago from the USA after playing with mine.

That was a review not a personal opinion.. You shouldnt have to go downloading 3rd party applications to get basic functions like to be able to capture video etc etc. Thats why it gets so poorly rated..

There is a much much better phone coming out Sony ericisson Xerpia X1. Can do all that the reviwer had gripes about and has a 5 megapixel camera with flash. Very fast processor, touch screen etc etc..

Thats what ill be waiting for..
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
STI Master

B4GT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to B4GT

pretty much the same phone as a HTC Diamond, even manufactured in the same factory.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Sir AntiLag

Makavel at standard level

the ipod touch is the iphone with calling capabilities = mass production

There are a lot of "iphone beaters" coming and i would say there would be a iphone update again towards the end of the year.

BLACKBERRY 9000
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 PM
STI Master

MaD_OwNeD at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueraven
im not saying all that, just from sites, read bottom, gosh geeez, get a sense of humor, yada yada yada, blah blah blah, usual stuff! we all know its capabilities, yawn! there are far better phones out there thou!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
There is a much much better phone coming out Sony ericisson Xerpia X1. Can do all that the reviwer had gripes about and has a 5 megapixel camera with flash. Very fast processor, touch screen etc etc..
I have a Nokia N95 which features a 5MP camera which has flash, autofocus & a Carl Zeiss lens. When I load my pics onto my PC they are Polarbear spec(aka crap) my old 1.5MP digi camera takes way better quality pics. I have never seen a camera phone take a decent pic and I doubt any could rival the quality from a proper camera.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex

Thats what ill be waiting for..
Me too Tino, not sure when it will be released here though
but ive been told it will be released in Taiwan and China in September.

Also been told it has a 3.2megapixel camera and has 400mb memory
and can take a 8GB micro sd card.

The mother in-law will be sending one as soon as its released there,
cant wait

Might ask for 2 hehe

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO

Last edited by JDM_STYLE; 10-07-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

SpitShine at standard level

IMO the iphone is 100% over-rated and not worth your time lining up in the cold

Tags
11th, iphone, july, released