Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 09:00 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default Importing a car from Overseas?

Has anyone imported a car into Australia before? I initially looked at doing this a few years ago, but after I did the various calculations it turned out to be pretty $$. However I heard that if you own the car in the country you’re exporting from for a year it’s much cheaper. I was just thinking especially with the Ozzie $$ so strong you can get some absolute bargains. E.g in the UK you get can a Porsche Cayman S with low kms for $40’000. I haven’t seen one for sale over here for under $100’000. So even if you had to pay 20/30K for importing the car you are still saving yourself $$. Anyone any idea on importing costs? Check out autotrader.co.uk Aus$ is X 2 UK pound.

Last edited by perthzed; 16-06-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Well for starters you would have to live in the country for 1 year (not just own the car there).

Then you would have shipping and taxes to pay. And of course an imported car would be harder to sell, insure and would have no warranty.

So it doesn't really work out cheaper.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Sir AntiLag

dan.r.s at standard level
Send a message via MSN to dan.r.s

i recently imported a Chevrolet chevelle from cali. $3600 LA to NSW then i got it here for 1200. paid 10% import duties on total price paid for car.
need bill of sale, title or transfer papers or they wont let it in and you need a import approval document from the govt/customs.
my boss also just imported a Ferrari 400i 1983 from uk. if it is over i think$55,000 you need to pay luxury taxes also.
plus then you got the whole under 1989 thing which i do not understand that much.
hope some of that may of helped. it is a painful experience so if it is a car that is already in Aus it is probably not all that worth it. Damages in shipping freight yards etc... not being able to see that car first.
Old 16-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

adwalton1987 at standard level

Also when purchasing from the UK you have to realise that the cars over there dont last anywhere near as long over there as they do here. Far more damage from things like rust due to the grit they use on roads during winter and stuff. You would be very surprised in the condition of a car over there that had done 160,000kms and a car with the same k's over here, I couldnt believe it when i first moved here.

Tags
car, importing, overseas