Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level
Default Nitro Truck Advice

Hey Guys,

Looking at getting myself a nitro rc truck, went to stanbridges today and the schumacher Havoc was what I was thinking about, http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=816.

Looks strong and like it might take a couple knocks the only thing is it is 2WD. Would I be better off getting a 4WD one? I mostly just want to use it for some fun in the park and do some jumps with it.

If anyone can reccomend anything, I would like to spend around $700 to get up and running.

Cheers
Stefan

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Sorry, I can't offer you any practical advice other than Nitro RC cars are so much fun! Just can't hold them flat stick or else it fu*ks the engine was about all I was told before I got my hands on one. The 4WD ones I've used have handled fantastic, but with a heap of understeer on grass. For supreme power slides you'd have to look at a RWD truggie like you've mentioned. Definitley budget for spare steering and suspension arms and spare batteries and plenty of Nitro fuel. Nothing worse than just getting into it and the battery in the controller dies other than smashing into a tree that jumped out in front of you
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
Sorry, I can't offer you any practical advice other than Nitro RC cars are so much fun! Just can't hold them flat stick or else it fu*ks the engine was about all I was told before I got my hands on one. The 4WD ones I've used have handled fantastic, but with a heap of understeer on grass. For supreme power slides you'd have to look at a RWD truggie like you've mentioned. Definitley budget for spare steering and suspension arms and spare batteries and plenty of Nitro fuel. Nothing worse than just getting into it and the battery in the controller dies other than smashing into a tree that jumped out in front of you

LOL cheers mate, reminds me of the time my mate got his, it had been delivered to his house that day from the states, he was excited as a little kid at christmas. It came to my turn, took it out turned it around and nailed it. Then the controller died and it was stuck at flat stick.

He didnt have a failsafe at that point. It just flew past us, hit the first curb, went up in the air, come down and landed back on the wheels, hit the second curb up in air back on wheels and kept going. Changed direction to the main road. Went across just missing a trucks wheels. Hit another curb, changed direction back towards us. Finally hitting another curb and landing upside down.

Lets just say I killed the front end of his new toy hahaah was a quick trip to the hobby shop to get her fixed up and buy a failsafe. Mind you he never gave me a go after that hehe.

Cheers

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

if you want to go racing get a 4wd
the rwd`s cant keep up as they are too hard to keep in a straight line
and always spin out..........
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

hey I used to flat stick my nitro cars heaps! as long as they arnt running to lean dont think its a problem, I like the HPI trucks, have a Rush good fun at the bmx track havnt driven it for few years though haha.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

For out and out bashing Monster Trucks FTW....take heaps of abuse and can go over just about anything !

Pure speed on dirt = 1/8th scale buggy

Tips ;

Break it in correctly.
Don`t thrash it cold.
Use 15+% nitro ...if not 20% with a good synth blend oil
Don`t let your fuel go stale, cap everything imediately...only takes minutes to stale fuel on a hot day, stale fuel will run like dog and cook engine !
Install fuel filter, won`t come with one out of box
Learn everything you can about tuning !...then learn some more !
Don`t stick to an OS8 plug when you thrashing....use novarossi plugs.
Buy high capacity rechargables and good smart charger straight off...no excuse for loss of control because of low shitty alkaline batts
FM digital radios rock !

And it ain`t fun unless it flies !...and you get it on film
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

mate, what are you looking to spend on one? $500 / $1000 / $2000?

As GTLeggy said, monster trucks are the best for bashing around the house and park since they are the strongest.

i have a savage and Tmaxx, and i have to say the savage wins hands down in terms of strength, you can do anything to it and it doesnt let you down.

i would also look at the 1/5th size (1 meter long )petrol powered buggy by HPI. great fun, and huge.

it all depends on what style you like.

whatever you do, check out how easy it is to get parts for them.
dont take the word of the guys selling it to you saying its easy, call several other hobby shops and see if they stock parts for them also.

also, if you can get your hands on the 'Traxxas' tuning DVD its very helpful for a beginner. the DVD is comes with each traxxas rc car sold, so you should be able to pick one up on ebay for $5.
the dvd shows you how to everything, including the most important: running in the truck!

goodluck.
Steven
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

Oh, and that shumacher one is pretty cheap.
you dont want any gearing exposed, and the engine looks like a chinese one.

check out a HPI Savage.

have you thought about buying secondhand?
it takes half the fun out of running them in (some people hate running trucks in), and you can get some pretty good deals on ebay.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Avoid Schumacher...hard to get parts for, expensive.

HPI for the win....American brand, so its CHEAP CHEAP at the moment. Don't get ripped off here, buy everything from Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com).

They are cheap and reliable, I've spend thousands with them over the years.

I recommend the monster trucks too, they are brilliant fun. Good all rounder if you wanna bash around and do jumps. 1/8 buggies are more for racing, not quite as fun as a truck for jumping and mucking around, but they are VERY quick.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

I have been meaning to dust the old nitro truck off, let us know when you get it, nitro bash anyone?

Tags
advice, nitro, truck