Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-2005, 12:04 AM
STI Master

Pettata at standard level

They go for december xmas releases in japan then release half a year later here normally. Before xmas in july....

Whats the deal with the nintendo revolution?
Old 23-11-2005, 12:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

EvilCabbage at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettata
Whats the deal with the nintendo revolution?
Built in wireless, a different style of controller, first party back catalogue of games all available for download, and they haven't bothered spinning any shit about system specs (something both Sony and Microsoft have done several times now).

I'm excited because it looks like something totally different. I've been playing games nearly 20 years, it's about friggin' time we got something earth shattering again, the last decade has been boring as batshit.
Old 24-11-2005, 12:48 AM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

If Sony leave it too long it's gonna make it real hard on em. By Christmas next year the Xbox will have dropped in price which I'd imagine will leave a bit of a gap. Power wise I think the 360 should satisfy most, it'll probably take a year for sw to use it’s full potential.

So what’s the Revolution about? I'd be a bit hesitant to buy a Nintendo after the cube.

Now I just have to try and be patient till they crack the 360.
Old 24-11-2005, 08:10 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

I keep thinking the 360 might be another 'Dreamcast' (I hope people remember that )

Launched early, custom hardware config, rushed to market and had initial developer support but it was a bastard to code for, not really allowing too many developers to get the most out of it.

Being first to market is definitely not a sure fire business plan, especially in the 360's case. I just don't think they spent enough time putting the package together, like most things of the MTV generation it's been more about getting it out sooner and convincing people how damn cool it is than focusing on a solid, stable system that can stand on its own two feet and doesn't need shit like "Live" and the latest sports roster update games to try and reel in customers. Give it another 12 months, I don't think the Xbox will be on top, especially considering the frosty sales of the original Xbox in Japan.

Add to that the different hardware configurations, (Premium and Core systems) and what I read was only a 3 month warranty (I hope somebody proves this wrong) and I just don't think the 360 will keep a good place in many peoples hearts or wallets. Microsoft are pushing the Live aspect so damn hard, expect regular, irreversible "service packs" for games and the system itself.

The PS3 will go well, no doubt. An instant working back catalogue of games (instead of the limited numbers of backwards compatible games on the 360, damn software emulation..), blu-ray for storage and a whole bunch of bleeding edge tech that (on paper at least) pretty much rape the 360 fair up the ass.

Still, I'm a bit dark on Sony over their DRM procedures, very likely I won't pick up a PS3 because of it.
Old 24-11-2005, 02:11 PM
STI Master

DRM procedures?

Yeah I think your on the money with giving it a year. Apparently the next gen of 360's will have HDDVD, possibly to combat the PS3 when it's released. I'd really love one of these beasts but I think it'd be smartest to wait till the PS3 is here.
Old 24-11-2005, 02:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Tuned
DRM procedures?
DRM = Digital Rights Management = fucking customers in the ass.

They released a whole shit-tonne of CD's with a rootkit on them. Basically it installed shit on your Windows PC if you wanted to listed to the music, left a bunch of security holes open, did some real damage. All said and done, a really bad thing.

They've since recalled the CD's and offered a kind of buy-back scheme, but the damage is done as far as I'm concerned. They've demonstrated they clearly don't give a shit about customers and are willing to break the law to try and protect their IP. The state of Texas is sueing them over it.

Now, this is an example from Sony music, who are not tied to their technical development arm too tight, but the tech side are still looking at pretty hardcore DRM procedures in the PS3. Things like games being 'registered' to a single console, no more renting games or lending them to mates even.. that kind of stuff just pisses me off no end.
Old 24-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Given the amount of stuff on Xbox 360's crashing, I think I'll be waiting for a PS3

Linkage on the crashing xbox 360's...
http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5e,00.html

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/...yEHasmrPqu.php

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/
Old 25-11-2005, 07:48 PM
STI Master

Ha.. only M$ could make a consol that crashes.

Yeah waiting a year sounds like a plan.
Old 26-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Scoobie Noobie

DANinQLD at standard level

A VERY interesting rumoured feature about the PS3 is that it'll have Sony LocationFree tech built in... ie it'll act as a base station for all your tv input/paytv/hd recorder etc... and you'll be able to access your PS3 games using your PSP from any wireless hotspot....

PSP already supports the TV aspect of sony location free. (just waiting for it to be released aus)

But a 360 will be good for the year before ps3...
Old 27-11-2005, 12:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANinQLD
and you'll be able to access your PS3 games using your PSP from any wireless hotspot....
I'm not sure what you mean here? You'll be able to access game stats from the PSP as long as you're connected to the same access point? Kinda redundant if you're already in the same house

Realistically, for this to work in an "anywhere, anytime" sense isn't feasable. Lets imagine I have a PS3 sitting at home, I'm at work and I want to access my PS3 back at home. I'd first have to forward any ports the PS3 wanted to use onto the PS3's static IP. There'd have to be some form of authentication involved too, so outside influences could not gain access.
I'd then need the ports open on the other end that the PSP wanted to use to talk back to my home connection.

It's possible, but just a bit silly implementing something like that with no real uses and a minority of the gaming crowd would make use of. A better idea (and I think this is more likely to be what they have planned) would be to have the PSP and PS3 communicate directly for relevant games. Say, something like the PSP acting as an information pad for a strategy game, or a comms unit in games like Metal Gear Solid. Adds another dimension to the game.

Nintendo have done this with the GBA and Gamecube a few times and it works really quite well.

Tags
ps3, trailer