Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I dont think he was labelled as a hoon so much as has been charged with reckless driving 3 times since he has had his license (less than 2 years).

I think the deal is on your third reckless driving government gets your car.....

Brendon
Old 20-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Sorry Brendon, I have to disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth Now Crappy Tabloid Stuff
Repeat hoon faces loss of car
Article from: PerthNow

Nicole Cox, police reporter

March 19, 2009 05:00pm

A THREE-time hoon driver aged just 19 could become the first West Australian to have his car confiscated permanently under anti-hoon laws.

WA police have applied to permanently confiscate the teenager's car after he pleaded guilty to his third hoon driving offence.

In February, he pleaded guilty to reckless driving and driving without a licence.

Today, he was due to be sentenced in Fremantle Magistrates Court but the case was adjourned.

It is understood McGarry will next appear in court on Monday.

If the magistrate approves the application for confiscation it will be the first car seized permanently under WA's anti-hoon laws.

Under the legislation, police can impound vehicles for a week for first offences.

For second and subsequent offences, cars can be seized for 28 days and police can apply to the courts for permanent confiscation.

Police can also impound the vehicles of motorists caught speeding by 45km/h or more over the designated speed limit.
Hooning is mentioned quite a bit and a lot of blurb is wasted on explaining the hoon laws once again.

The way I see it is he is not a "hoon" as the media portray (i.e. Fast and Furious stylez) but he has been caught driving without a licence and been done for reckless driving again.

That is what the article should be about and not padded out mentioning the evil hoons...

Last edited by Kato; 20-03-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 20-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Sorry Brendon, I have to disagree...

Hooning is mentioned quite a bit and a lot of blurb is wasted on explaining the hoon laws once again.

The way I see it is he is not a "hoon" as the media portray (i.e. Fast and Furious stylez) but he has been caught driving without a licence and been done for reckless driving again.

That is what the article should be about and not padded out mentioning the evil hoons...
I agree with you. I dont think he was hooning persay i.e. dropping fully sick single peggers in his 6cyl ef falcon ute but this is the easiest way for the media to ramp it up.

His right foot is obviously a bit heavy and he thinks he can drive / speed. Judging by the show that his old man and him put on in court I would bet my left nut that he was an absolute wanker to the cops aswell. He needs to learn to only take on the fights that you can win.

Either way....lifetime driving ban is a good deterrant. Problem is that he is going to continue to drive anyways.

Brendon
Old 20-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

What do you think police should do if someone 'hoons 3 times', looses their car and licence and then they are caught later still driving... maybe caught multiple times doing it.

What do you think should happen? Jail time?

I mean, if a person graffities something i believe there's jail time now (max sentence). Much as tagging costs a lot to remove and looks crap, they're not hurting/endangering anyone. So surely a person who constanty flouts the law and endngers people by continuing to drive after it has been determined that they are not safe to do so (they've lost their licence for a reason) should be behind bars for a bit to sober them up.

Anyone agree or what do you think?
Old 20-03-2009, 05:14 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX.
What do you think police should do if someone 'hoons 3 times', looses their car and licence and then they are caught later still driving... maybe caught multiple times doing it.

I mean, if a person graffities something i believe there's jail time now (max sentence). Much as tagging costs a lot to remove and looks crap, they're not hurting/endangering anyone. So surely a person who constanty flouts the law and endngers people by continuing to drive after it has been determined that they are not safe to do so (they've lost their licence for a reason) should be behind bars for a bit to sober them up.

I think for a lot of crimes we need mandatory prison sentences. You do it once, slap on the wrist, second time you spend some time behind bars. Not 4, 5, 6 chances. People don't learn that way. But we need some serious prison reform. The prison system at the moment does not work. I think the USA can attest to that.
Old 20-03-2009, 05:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant
The problem is though that he obviously has absolutely no regard for the law.

We all know he is going to get behind the wheel again and will no doubt end up damaging someones property or hurting someone...and of course being unlicensed means he is uninsured whcih only leaves the courts to recover any costs from him (if he gets caught at the scene or cant leave!), no doubt the little turd would cry and get given E plates and told to pay off the costs at $2.50 a month.

I dont think prison is a suitable punishment unless the driver was drunk or injured / killed someone but I do strongly believe that when things get to this stage they must be forced to pay the community for the nuisance they cause.
I think 500 hours community service and a 7am - 7pm curfew and must remain in a limited area that allows them to work, do community service and go home again. This can be controlled with the electronic tag that paroled prisoners wear.
I said this on page one.

With a tag system they know exactly where he has been and at what times. He also would not be allowed to leave set areas. If he covers serious distance in a short time they will know he has been driving unless he can prove otherwise.

I dont think prison does this type of person any favours. He is only 19 so he CAN turn his life around but with prison time in his life employment becomes much harder and he starts on a slippery slope.

We would all love nothing more than to see him given a proper clip round the earhole by the police and put in prison with people much bigger and tougher than him but the reality is that he will just become disillusioned with 'the system' and will just learn to be like the people he is in there with. On top of that if he behaves he would be out in a couple of months and would leave with the attitude that its all to easy in there.

He would also be a massive drain on the taxpayer in there so at least if he is out in the community keeping the place clean and tidy he is paying his way.
Old 20-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Lol, did anyone see the cops new Belgian Shepard on the front of the paper this week?
The caption said roughly "meet Argus, trained in fighting burglars, HOON DRIVERS and rapists or something of the like"

Dead set, not a word of lie. The paper said the dog was to catch hoons.

"woof woof bark"
"whats that boy? Someone chirped second?!"
Old 20-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Flat Four Father

SPEC IV at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtenstein
Lol, did anyone see the cops new Belgian Shepard on the front of the paper this week?
The caption said roughly "meet Argus, trained in fighting burglars, HOON DRIVERS and rapists or something of the like"

Dead set, not a word of lie. The paper said the dog was to catch hoons.

"woof woof bark"
"whats that boy? Someone chirped second?!"
hahahahaha..... i'm sure the dog is trained to only smell out dunnydores

Tags
car, faces, hoon, loss, repeat