Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama
Default Alco-pop tax

Can someone please fill me in on the what the gee-oh is with the alcopop tax.

I know it came in about a year ago while I was holidaying in Bali, I got home and my turkey n cola stubbies had gone up about 5 buck a four pack at the local bottloes. Then while I'm away in Bali this year I hear a rumour that while I've been out of the country the stupidest tax in the world has been abolished. Sweet as says me, but I was in Bali for another week after that so kinda forgot about it. It occurs to me today whilst out purchasing my favourite bevy (still the turkey n cola) that the price has stayed the same.

So whats the go here? was it abolished? and if it was when the hell are they gonna drop the price?

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 18-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

It got overruled, and the government was supposed to pay back all the monies they had collected, although the distilleries didnt want it.

BUT the government is trying to get it in again, or trying something slightly different so they can keep the price up and keep the money theyve gotten so far.

Im not sure why the price hasnt returned to normal, im guessing because the government hasnt given up on the tax yet.

Worst tax in the world, if you ask me. There one solemn argument; It lowered the sales of alcopops, whoopdie do. what about the sharp 60% (dont quote me, i think i might have the wrong number) rise in straight spirit sales? are they just ignoring that?
Old 18-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate
are they just ignoring that?
Yep. Yet to see a poli admit they had a stupid fucking idea yet.
Old 18-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

I have heard them admit that it made no difference to binge drinking at all.

I just know my mate in Qld commented that their prices had gone back to what they were previously and when I asked a local pub why they hadnt yet dropped the price they responded with why would we? its more money in our pockets!! wont be buying there again.

Old 18-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

lol yes coke bottles + straight booze went up the exact same amount of sales that were lost in pre mix. Make mine 3 fingers :P
Old 18-04-2009, 09:08 PM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

Beverage companies such as Fosters, Coca-Cola & Lion Nathan are all still paying the tax, chargin retailers the tax and in turn, charging you the consumer the tax.. Its hasn't been removed per-say, That is why your still payin it..

Fosters had been telling retailers they were gettin $20mill back and were going to put it to free stock and discounts.,.. their in a bit of stife now as i understand, as they are not getting fark all... It would be far too hard to work out who to give the money back too, as there is no way the retailer is going to pass on the discounts they may or may not receive to the consumer.. Thus, the retailer would be the only one who benefited...

Personally I believe they should keep the money they have received, invest into infustucture and general works that benefit the majority of the population... try and bring us out of this "Economic Crisis"

The directive and the way i have been informed is that, while these rejects play out this tax again in the roundish office in our capital, you will be paying the tax for at minimum, the rest of the year..

Sales were not quite like for like, but not too far off.. RTD's went down by average 40% and Straight up by 28% i believe was the latest Stats. beer was the biggest winner, also, many consumers moved to buying higher alcohol based products, but less of them.. Jim Beam Black 4 pack instead of White 6 packs..

Both on premise (pubs) and off premise (bottlo's) thought the tax was pretty good.. On average, they sold less and made more $$$... Some were obviously against the trend.... Depends on demographic areas mainly.

I have said it before as have many others... "don't blame me, I voted liberal...."

Foxy, I would say you got an obnoxious fuck tard that is a hero amongst mates...
Old 18-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

The taxdrop won't make it to most stores until around May, but depending on what store it will come down to ordering. I know with our store we are expecting the prices to drop around May, but it then depends on when we have sold the stock bought at the higher rate. So Cruisers and other rubbish like that will drop pretty soon, but the less bought stuff will take a bit longer. Personally just from my observation at our store, there was fuck all change in the sale of Rtards (RTDs). If people really wanted it, they kept buying it.
Old 18-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Sir AntiLag

See I got the "after we sell the stock we got at the higher rate" line too which I also called bullshit on coz u didnt see them selling the untaxed stock at the lower rate they jacked the price up right away! Bit like fuel companys.

Old 18-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

i read a sign in Dan Murphy's saying they were waiting to see what the final word was before they would lower the prices of their 'alco-pops'

knowing the govt. they are trying to find some way of keeping the money made from it, and keeping the tax in place.
Old 19-04-2009, 12:54 AM