Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   1 good thing about Perisher NSW was... (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/28316-1-good-thing-about-perisher-nsw.html)

rexhunta 02-08-2009 06:14 PM

1 good thing about Perisher NSW was...

[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/ehhdh2.jpg[/IMG]

Perisher/Mt Blue Cow was all sponsored by Subaru, so everywhere was little sayings, and at the SkiTube Bullocks ( hehe ) Flat terminal, they had a brand new Outback sitting on the middle platform that you walk off.

Pete

dtrally 03-08-2009 12:23 PM

Last year they had Subarus parked up on concrete blocks all over the mountain. Some were hub deep in snow. Discs all rusty etc. Probably sold them as 'executive driven' demos lol.

perthzed 03-08-2009 12:25 PM

How was the snow?

rexhunta 03-08-2009 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed;382572]How was the snow?[/QUOTE]

awfully cold, but the funnest shit ever, first time i've been. Had an absolute ball for the week.

dtrally 03-08-2009 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed;382572]How was the snow?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Thredbo at present, been here a week and we've only had ~10cm of fresh since I got here. There's still 114cm natural depth at Spencer's creek and it's still cold so they're making heaps every night. Massive new snowmaking equipment has been intalled here since last year. Still really good skiiing off the top, get's a bit heavy below about 1500m. So there's still a good 500m of vertical to be had. The supertrail off the top of Karels will give you a 3+ KM thighburner of decent snow all day, the whole top of the mountain's in good shape. The Bluff and Cannonball were great even at 3pm today after a full sunshine day.
Very reasonably priced too, I'm only 500m from the lift terminal in a self contained apartment $1700/5 nights.

rexhunta 03-08-2009 09:36 PM

Fuck i was at Perisher/Blue Cow haha, 10 mins from Thredbo.

we had 30cms across the first weekend, then like 5-10cms across the first 2 nights, then nothing, then had 5cms on thursday night before we left.

They were saying on SnowFM it was one of the best seasons they had for a while ? Did you get caught up in the traffic from the school holidays and long weekend ?

Also, did you notice on Alpine drive the wombat that was upside down with the green beer bottle in it's mouth ? Holy shit there was so many of the dead little things everywhere.

We stayed at Novotel Lake Crackenback, which was erh, a lot more then your resort lol.

dougiefresh 03-08-2009 10:02 PM

Heading off to Buller next week, hopefully it should be good

silo's_sube 04-08-2009 12:08 AM

queenstown in 3 weeks, yehaaaa

dtrally 04-08-2009 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=rexhunta;382752]Also, did you notice on Alpine drive the wombat that was upside down with the green beer bottle in it's mouth ?

We stayed at Novotel Lake Crackenback, which was erh, a lot more then your resort lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I must admit I had a laugh at the poor old bugger with the bottle in his gob! You really have to be carefull driving at night down here, there's Wombats and Kangaroos everywhere. We mised all the school holiday traffic, they were coming back toward Canberra as we were heading down to the Snowys. Overtaking required high boost!! lol.
As for staying at Crakenback, that's top end accomodation, you must have a thick wallet....;)

As for Buller, watch out for whole familys of Indians (like 12-15 of them) sharing one pair of skis and walking up Burke St one at a time taking turns..lol. Just buy a lift ticket FFS!
Also you have to park way down the hill and bus it in to your accomodation.

A yr11 schoolgirl on a school trip lost control of her skis here on Saturday and crashed into some trees. Tragically she was killed instantly. She was wearing a helmet, something that I recomend for everyone regardless of ability.

Here's a shot through 'the Tunnel' I took this morning. It was very cold, the snowguns were still firing after 9 am when I headed up. For me, Perisher is sort of all the same, just big wide runs. I like off piste, trees, rocks and shit.

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/dougmarilyn/DSCF0137.jpg[/IMG]

rexhunta 04-08-2009 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally;382866]Yeah, I must admit I had a laugh at the poor old bugger with the bottle in his gob! You really have to be carefull driving at night down here, there's Wombats and Kangaroos everywhere. We mised all the school holiday traffic, they were coming back toward Canberra as we were heading down to the Snowys. Overtaking required high boost!! lol.
As for staying at Crakenback, that's top end accomodation, you must have a thick wallet....;)

As for Buller, watch out for whole familys of Indians (like 12-15 of them) sharing one pair of skis and walking up Burke St one at a time taking turns..lol. Just buy a lift ticket FFS!
Also you have to park way down the hill and bus it in to your accomodation.

A yr11 schoolgirl on a school trip lost control of her skis here on Saturday and crashed into some trees. Tragically she was killed instantly. She was wearing a helmet, something that I recomend for everyone regardless of ability.

Here's a shot through 'the Tunnel' I took this morning. It was very cold, the snowguns were still firing after 9 am when I headed up. For me, Perisher is sort of all the same, just big wide runs. I like off piste, trees, rocks and shit.
[/QUOTE]

Hehe was our belated honeymoon, think minus the air tickets and 2 nights in Canberra was round the 3800 mark, that included our ski rentals, hire car ( Mits Outlander), our lessons, 2 x 2 course dinners in our restaurant, all breakfasts, 2 x 1 hour massages, our chalet, and all the skitube passes and hill passes.

Was pretty fun though. I thought it was good they had the long open runs on some of the hills, we didn't do any exploring in the black diamond and double black diamond ranges, we just stuck to the easy shit.