Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Depends. Why stoop to someone elses salary when (and thats IF you are good enough) you are better then the majority. I'd gauge yourself against a few other people, see if you are worth the extra money then sell it to them in the interview if they have questions. Obviously dont get greey like John has said, but if you are worth it, and believe you are, id go in with a bit of cofidence (but not cocky :P).

Too many people get caught up on this 'global recession'. No TV,net,radio would equal no heresay about being mindfull spending money.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

spuds at standard level

Thanks again for the advice.
I've sent through a reasonable counter offer over the weekend so now its just waiting with fingers crossed. =)

I'm not the best in my field, but I'm good and I generally try to be the best I can be in whatever I do. Thing is, I've always had a hard time marketing myself to employers. Its never been in my nature to blow my own horn so I suppose I generally lose out when it comes to salary negotiations. Haha.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

spuds at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
Its a difficult one. We had a guy that had been working for us for over 10 years and he is based in Kwinana and the only time we see him is at the Xmas party. Absolutely awesome employee that never causes any dramas and never rings up and says I need more money etc. Then you have the guys that are in your office every 3 minutes saying I need more money or I am leaving. Up until 12 months ago you absolutely had to pay it. The point I am getting at is that these guys that are in your face got the pay rises and the excellent guy almost got forgotten about because he never said boo. However....he still has a job and these other knob jockeys that held me to ransom are now working somewhere else for far less money than I was paying them.

As an employer you know what is reasonable and what other people in the indsutry is paying. I think you did the right thing telling the truth. For all you know the guys son might play footy with your current bosses son and perth is too small to start telling lies. Would definately have got away with it 12 months ago but if you are genuinely interested in moving jobs I would be up front. Nothing shits me more than when people come in an say john said I would be earning this. The guy I work with earns this. Why is it different.

Tell the truth and be upfront FTW.

Brendon
Thats exactly it.
I've got a good friend who is a fantastic worker and the first person I'd employ if I started my own business. He works hard and efficiently, puts in extra time and never asks for anything back. He worked 16 years at his last company and only got minor pay rises to match CPI. He only left because the company went under.

Thing is, everyone takes that for granted and I know that he's left behind in his salary. He's paid less than much less experienced people who don't put in the hard work that he does. Goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get. But also, if you make $$$ your sole ambition, then you're not gonna get very far. I suppose its all a balance... work hard and be assertive.

Tags
ask your pimp what you earn, cathy says panadol no son im on the dole, chuck norris doesn't negotiate, common or expected, freeman welfare system, job, negotiation, offers, salary