Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Texas Style BBQ Pork Spare Ribs (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/29243-texas-style-bbq-pork-spare-ribs.html)

American Dave 22-09-2009 11:53 AM

Texas Style BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

Ok boys and girls the sun will eventually come out and stay out. As such its time to start thinking about firing up the barbie and throwing some ribs on it.

As part of the long weekend festivities and AFL grand final I am firing the barbie up for some mates. This weekend I am going Texas Style BBQ Pork Ribs but you can use beef if you dont like the pig.

Here's the recipe I am using and I recommend it highly. Happy trails and eating partners.

Texas Style BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

INGREDIENTS:
4 racks pork spareribs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups ketchup
3 cups hot water
4 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup soaked wood chips
DIRECTIONS:
Trim away any excess fat from ribs. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, black pepper, paprika, the 1 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Rub spice mix all over the ribs. Place the ribs in two 10x15 inch roasting pans, piling two racks of ribs per pan. Cover, and refrigerate for 8 or more hours.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Bake uncovered for 3-4 hours, or until the ribs are tender and just about falling apart fall apart.
For the barbeque sauce, remove 4-5 tablespoons of drippings from the roasting pans, and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in pan drippings until lightly browned. Stir in ketchup, and heat for 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring constantly. Next, mix in water and brown sugar, and season to taste with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, adding water if it gets too thick.
Preheat grill for low heat. When grill is ready, add the soaked wood chips to the coals or to the smoker box of a gas grill. Spray grill's grate with a coat of cooking spray. Place ribs on the grill but do not overcrowd. Cook for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste ribs with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling only.

Edit: You can't really have ribs without beans in my book so:

Here's one of the quickest, easiest pinto bean recipes you'll ever see. It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Quick Texas Cowboy Pinto Beans

INGREDIENTS:
4 slices bacon
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed
2 cans (15 to 16 oz. each) pinto beans, rinsed, drained
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:
In large skillet, cook bacon over low heat until crisp, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.

Remove all except 2 tablespoons of drippings from skillet. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic.

Cook and stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Crumble bacon. Return to skillet. Cover, cooking 5 minutes or until heated through, and stirring often.

or

Try using the first barbeque beans recipe below, or if you like spicier food, the next one.

Barbecue Beans Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
2 large cans of pork and beans
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 pound of bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
1 bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS:
Add all ingredients to a large pot or crockpot and cook on low for 3-5 hours.

Here's another bbq beans recipe that has a little more of a spicy kick to it, but it is also a simple and delicious dish to make.

Spicy BBQ Beans
INGREDIENTS:
2 large cans your favorite baked beans
6 slices bacon
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 finely chopped jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and fresh ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and cook in a medium sized pot until medium well done.Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Pour some of the bacon grease out of the pot, leaving about 2 tablespoons.
Add chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper and saute until the onions are soft and golden, but not brown, about 4 minutes.
Add the bacon and remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Cook for up to 2 hours.

haydn_wolf 22-09-2009 11:56 AM

Forget the weekend, I want some now!

Kato 22-09-2009 12:19 PM

So what time do you want us all over? :D

V3 RA 22-09-2009 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;396258]So what time do you want us all over? :D[/QUOTE]

+1 p-wrx BBQ...on Dave! :p

Jezza 22-09-2009 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;396258]So what time do you want us all over? :D[/QUOTE]

+2 !! :p

Rexxar 22-09-2009 12:55 PM

should be on master chef Dave...sound nice

BALISTC 22-09-2009 01:11 PM

Dave if you have a BBQ in summer, I'm so there... just a short walk :D

American Dave 22-09-2009 01:22 PM

Joe if you step outside on Sat arvo you will have no problem smelling them.

Side note: This is Jewish New Year high point on the weekend. You will see many walking in the massive and smelling my pork ribs! :D

Doms1 22-09-2009 01:57 PM

Definately got my mouth watering now Dave!!!! BBQ Ribs yumo!!!:headbang:

DuDraig 22-09-2009 02:36 PM

[quote=kato;396258]so what time do you want us all over? :d[/quote]

+ 1 :d