Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Boosted at standard level

lol i work for P.I and only have to wear a hard hat in the plant everywhere else is free game. A few of the guys on the shut crew who go to different sites keep telling me how stupid some of the rules are getting.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

speaking of OHS going wrong, place i previously worked at implemented a policy stating all employees had to reverse park. The reasoning given was people are more alert in the morning than in the afternoon, thus more likely to have an accident reversing out of a bay in the afternoon.

It was absolute mayhem in the mornings watching people who had probably never reversed a car since they took there learners trying to back into a bay.

My logic was this, if people are to tired in the afternoon to be able to safely reverse a car out a parking spot, what the hell are they doing driving on our roads!! (or going to a shopping centre after work and reversing out of parking bays)
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Scoobie Noobie

leighg at standard level
Send a message via MSN to leighg

end of the day you dont like the rules then you shouldnt be in mining or find a more relaxed

i'm in OHS in mining and have been for a few years, all the sites i've been on both underground and surface sites. the common theme is when not in the admin area or not inside machine or vehicle hard hat on. now the rule isnt there because we want to be wankers or make it hard on you, but its to protect you from any chance of something happening. not to say there is a high risk of it occuring around the office but in the site risk assessment there would be something in there to highlight the need to have hard hat everywhere on site. plus if you start making areas hard hat free people start getting relaxed and pushing the limits and think they can get away with it somewhere where there is a high risk.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren

I'll throw another slant on this discussion - You cannot measure nor report on common sense. You cannot improve common sense and definitely cannot discriminate on whether someone gains employment because he "seems" to lack common sense. In the world of continual improvement, if you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it.

As once was said to me by a safety manager - we cannot accept human error because it is our job to engineer out the possibility of that error in the first place. Is it being silly - I believe so in "some" respects. Problem is, it is neigh on impossible to write rules and regs around "some" people and not others. When I've been to several sites, the rule was safety glasses when outdoors and hardhat on when outside of a building unless signed. I thought it was reasonable.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voot View Post
then there should be a boundary or something
There is, it's called an Active Mining Area and will be signed as such.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
There is, it's called an Active Mining Area and will be signed as such.
Bingo, this is what the piss off for people is, the lunch room area was considered a non mining area, so should, and was, be exempt of the helmet rule, no ones been hurt, and it seems like ass covering for no reason.

Which is why i was asking what the various polices where for the different companies out there, as its the first time ive encountered it..

Im happy to follow safety, but like i said before, some of it just seems so out of left field, and invented for no reason in particular, that you gotta question it..

and the reality is, what difference is the risk, of not having a stack hat on at the lunch room, compared to around the camp, in reality the risk levels should be the same..

so how long is it till you have to wear one while doing your laundry i wonder..

Last edited by Denver; 05-10-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
and the reality is, what difference is the risk, of not having a stack hat on at the lunch room, compared to around the camp, in reality the risk levels should be the same..

so how long is it till you have to wear one while doing your laundry i wonder..
Yeh ...nah. Thats like saying its as safe at a work lunch room as it is at home. Thats incorrect, I know its a lunch room but its on site and work is going on around you so its not the same thing.

Bottom line is, its a hat, is it really that big of a deal?

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 PM