Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

6050king at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
A GC3 Impreza with an old series 1 Liberty EJ22 would go like the clappers and cost fug all to build. Drum brake rear end so handbrakies aplenty!

Me and my mate built a Khanacross car for use at the Beverley (BORMSA) series. It involved a series 1 RX7 that previously had a 12A flywheel explode and pierce the floor and bonnet. Race prep consisted of bash down/bog up holes and rust. Instal Commodore Ecotec 3.8V6 and auto trans, Hilux diff with 4.8;1 welded centre, Falcon mags on the rear, commodore front end and mags, rally tyres, half cage, old crappy race seat from cash converters. Brush on a coat of flat black and we have a car that would make Mad Max proud. She goes good but handling is a bit 'unique' You need 2+ cans of Redbull to give it full throttle on gravel!
Sounds like a good idea, I may even be getting an old 98 EJ20T from a mate very cheap, could even consider a turbo motor swap if that would work?

The car built sounds insane, how did you set up the steering and suspension?

Last edited by 6050king; 06-01-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Personally I wouldn't bother with a turbo EJ20 and FWD for competition. It'll spin the wheels the whole test with a EJ22 so more power will just mean more weight, complexity and lag for no real gain. AWD are non eligible in those autokhanas.

The RX7 had some backyard engineering that Macgyver himself would have been proud of. We slid a whole VK Commodore front subframe under it and fabricated mounts, then adapted the VS engine mounts to the VK frame. (VN-VS series X member was too wide in the track) It has Commodore front struts, Commodore non power steering rack and a Liberty steering column with a custom made uni joint. Between us we have a few busted cars in our yards, we just scrounged whatever we had, I think the only new parts we used were a fuel pump, some hose and an oil filter. lol.

Tags
joining, motorkhana