Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Thinking of a 2010/11 Golf TDi 2.0 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/34246-thinking-2010-11-golf-tdi-2-0-a.html)

waxdass 12-05-2010 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=AWDmoke;453627]My wife has the previous model Tdi, great car, fantastic economy & enough torque to tow the trailer with my mini.

That said, the new petrol versions are that good you'd have to be doing taxi driver kms to recover the extra cost of the diesel car. If you do go for the Tdi, go the DSG - we have the 6 speed and although I love manuals, it is just too much cog swapping.[/QUOTE]

to be fair I havnt looked at the petrol versions as yet, i'l have to look into it. But you'l be putting in BP98 anyway so its kinda the same! without the economy...?

American Dave 12-05-2010 03:13 PM

FWD skids FTW...cant fault the golf, good build and reliable and run on an oily rag...our Golf GT TSI (petrol) of Fury gets 600 kms to a tank of ULP98 around town...mucho torque and pretty roomy actually. DSG is very good.

SKYHIONPSI 12-05-2010 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=waxdass]If i end up with one it wont be flashed till after warranty anyway which by then im sure there will be much more options. Cheers for the info, do you have the leather/sport seats? [/QUOTE]

Yep i have the leather/sports seats. Very similar to the GTI golf seats, except a different headrest.

[QUOTE=perthzed]Yeah I was about to say the GT (1.4l SC & TC) is pretty economical itself, you add the extra fuel used when you chip the TDI there can't be much in it? [/QUOTE]

It actually improves fuel efficiency with the tune. I regularly get 800km to a tank of diesel, i fill up just after the fuel light comes on with ~100km to empty. I have read/heard of guys getting ~1000km after tuning around town.

[QUOTE=AWDmoke]That said, the new petrol versions are that good you'd have to be doing taxi driver kms to recover the extra cost of the diesel car. If you do go for the Tdi, go the DSG - we have the 6 speed and although I love manuals, it is just too much cog swapping. [/QUOTE]

Agreed, my dad has a 2.0 TDi tiguan with the 6 speed and he changes gears quite frequently, couldnt imagine a manual with my car. DSG is win!

waxdass 12-05-2010 03:54 PM

anything you wish you got or didnt get options wise?

SKYHIONPSI 12-05-2010 03:58 PM

Not sure, i bought mine 2nd hand from my father after his lease was up so not much choice. In terms of a daily, it's perfect, great fuel economy, extremely good build quality, plenty of torque/power for daily driving. The auto takes getting used to because sometimes it can't decide what gear it wants to be in when accelerating, but i can't fault it yet. I drove an XT forester previously and i am more than happy with upgrading to the golf.

AWDmoke 12-05-2010 04:00 PM

DSG !!!

Oh, and a genuine VAG towbar & lights loom is $1,750 :eek:
Aftermarket towbar + CANBUS adaptor box for the lights was only $650

ImPreSiV 12-05-2010 04:10 PM

oettinger kit! Do it!

Master D 12-05-2010 04:15 PM

I have a brand new caddy for a work car -1.9 tdi with dsg - just got 750kms out of it's first tank of diesel, that included the beating it copped from other people "testing" it.

So far ( on the second tank) 250kms and 3/4's to go:-) I'm happy with it, plenty of zip and the gearbox is kickass.

BLUES 12-05-2010 04:16 PM

Jeez, the Golf fanboys are out in force today. Are you all 40+ or something?

American Dave 12-05-2010 04:18 PM

can only speak for myself Fred...yes