Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 04:45 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level
Default Free VW New Driver Course (Thursday 29th July)

I thought I'd let you know that Volkswagen are running a "New Driver Course" free of charge tomorrow at the RAC Driving Centre. (12pm and 2pm sessions)

This kind of course isn't usually free but there are still spots available so if anyone is interested in doing one or if you have friends, siblings, kids that might be interested, let them know. It's surprising that there are still spots available as all of their events (including the New Driver Course) were booked out within minutes of them releasing the promotion.

I was lucky enough to track some new VWs around the RAC skidpan and long track today. The GTi performed surprisingly well and the Golf R was brilliant but even the lower spec models (that will be used tomorrow) were good fun on the skidpan.

Quote:
New Driver Course
Improving new drivers' skills
Learn how to handle the road better. If you're a new driver and are still improving your skills, this tailored 3-hour course will assist you in developing defensive driving abilities in a mix of theoretical and practical lessons.

The course covers:
Introduction to safe driving practices (theory)
Collision avoidance maneuvering
Emergency braking

Course details:
Course runs for approximately 3 hours
Lunch or afternoon tea provided
Refreshments, tea and coffee provided

Licence Requirements:
For New Driver Courses participants must be aged at least 18 years or over and hold a current Australian drivers license. Probationary drivers (3 months and over) are accepted.

Run at:
RAC Driving Centre, Perth International Airport, WA

Vehicles used:
Polo & Golf
Old 28-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

If I hadn't been with Jemahl (Current Trendz) tinting the girl's Tiguan today I would have jumped at it.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

PRODIGY at standard level

ooh, thanks for the heads up, i think i'm going to put my name down for a session.

Is this mainly for younger drivers though? Looking at the website the Advance Driving Course would of been the better one.
Old 28-07-2010, 05:25 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

I'd say that it's focused on younger drivers but if you haven't done one before, it may still be useful. If you've done an RAC/AHG day or been on the track before, I probably wouldn't bother with this.

I did the advanced course and it was excellent. Skipan exercises followed by the thrashing of someone else's car on the long track can't really go wrong. Unfortunately, it was booked out a long time ago.
Old 28-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

PRODIGY at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99 View Post
I'd say that it's focused on younger drivers but if you haven't done one before, it may still be useful. If you've done an RAC/AHG day or been on the track before, I probably wouldn't bother with this.

I did the advanced course and it was excellent. Skipan exercises followed by the thrashing of someone else's car on the long track can't really go wrong. Unfortunately, it was booked out a long time ago.
Yeah i've had a session on the skidpan before and done a similar basic defence driving course previously. Wish i knew about this before as i would of loved to do the Advanced one like you did. I wonder what the chances are that they will have someone drop out for one of tomorrows 2 morning sessions
Old 28-07-2010, 05:50 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

I probably wouldn't bother with the new driver course then... although they did have some pretty good instructors (eg: Peter Brock's son, James). I'm not sure if they were there only for the advanced course though.

Apparently the VW Head Office guys weren't sure if there would be enough interest for the advanced course. They had 400 spots across Oz and over 4000 people contacted them

Tags
29th, driver, july, thursday, training, vw