Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Home made Beef Jerky / Biltong (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/39126-home-made-beef-jerky-biltong.html)

Giddyup 17-12-2010 05:05 PM

Home made Beef Jerky / Biltong

Had my first crack at making it and I must say, it turned out bloody orrite if I do say so myself. I got myself a food dehydrator of good ol eBay and away I went. Worked a treat.

Has anyone else on here done this? if so, what recipes have you used?

RichX 17-12-2010 05:08 PM

Got some mates that do this. Goes down a treat with beer. Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper are all good ingredients :) What kind of meat and such are you using?

MadDocker 17-12-2010 05:30 PM

Yeah, I'm South African so it's in the blood.

Dehydrators work alright but nothing like a good box hanging from your patio to air dry it properly.

Apple cider vinegar, coriander & rock salt are the standard base then add from there.

mARC 17-12-2010 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;520878]Goes down a treat with beer. Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper are all good ingredients :)[/QUOTE]

Requesting a like button for this recipe :thumbsup:

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 05:47 PM

Being a biltong / jerky fan all my life the best billtong I ever had was when I was in Botswana at Xakanaxa Camp in the Moremi Delta.

Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper was what the chef told me.

Giddyup 17-12-2010 06:56 PM

They are some bloody good ideas. Round 2 coming up soon.
As for the air dry on the patio, I want it sometime this year.
For my first crack, I threw in 1/2 bottle of Tabasco, 1/2 big bottle of sweet chilli sauce, 1/2 cup water, 200ml of soy, same of Worcestershire, cinnamon, ginger, perri perri grinder (I'll use the sauce next time) + a couple of other things that I forget.
I forgot to add garlic and a bit of sugar but there is always next time.

Camm 17-12-2010 07:28 PM

I'm a Safa and we built our dehydrator out of an old draw with an extractor fan from a toilet haha. Works fantastically.

As for what you can use on your meat before you dehydrate it I think my old man gets Braai flakes or Biltong flavouring from Cape to Cairo in Ruse St, Osborne Park.

Best shit to bring back the memories! :rolleyes:

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 07:33 PM

Zuet boys coming out of the wood work for this thread ;)

MadDocker 17-12-2010 08:11 PM

Air dried under the patio in 3-4 days this time of year.

Cut your meat, lay it out and cover in average amount of rock salt then leave for 40 mins - 1 hour. Dip meat in apple cider vinegar removing excess salt and lay out. Shake on dried coriander, pepper, death rain and whatever else you fancy. Hook it up and hang in drying box.

You won't regret it.

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=KouNtS_UtM;520916]Air dried under the patio in 3-4 days this time of year.

Cut your meat, lay it out and cover in average amount of rock salt then leave for 40 mins - 1 hour. Dip meat in apple cider vinegar removing excess salt and lay out. Shake on dried coriander, pepper, death rain and whatever else you fancy. Hook it up and hang in drying box.

You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

In the recipe book for prosperity.