Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Home made Beef Jerky / Biltong (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/39126-home-made-beef-jerky-biltong.html)

Giddyup 17-12-2010 05:05 PM

Home made Beef Jerky / Biltong

Had my first crack at making it and I must say, it turned out bloody orrite if I do say so myself. I got myself a food dehydrator of good ol eBay and away I went. Worked a treat.

Has anyone else on here done this? if so, what recipes have you used?

RichX 17-12-2010 05:08 PM

Got some mates that do this. Goes down a treat with beer. Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper are all good ingredients :) What kind of meat and such are you using?

MadDocker 17-12-2010 05:30 PM

Yeah, I'm South African so it's in the blood.

Dehydrators work alright but nothing like a good box hanging from your patio to air dry it properly.

Apple cider vinegar, coriander & rock salt are the standard base then add from there.

mARC 17-12-2010 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;520878]Goes down a treat with beer. Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper are all good ingredients :)[/QUOTE]

Requesting a like button for this recipe :thumbsup:

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 05:47 PM

Being a biltong / jerky fan all my life the best billtong I ever had was when I was in Botswana at Xakanaxa Camp in the Moremi Delta.

Peri Peri, chilli, salt and pepper was what the chef told me.

Giddyup 17-12-2010 06:56 PM

They are some bloody good ideas. Round 2 coming up soon.
As for the air dry on the patio, I want it sometime this year.
For my first crack, I threw in 1/2 bottle of Tabasco, 1/2 big bottle of sweet chilli sauce, 1/2 cup water, 200ml of soy, same of Worcestershire, cinnamon, ginger, perri perri grinder (I'll use the sauce next time) + a couple of other things that I forget.
I forgot to add garlic and a bit of sugar but there is always next time.

Camm 17-12-2010 07:28 PM

I'm a Safa and we built our dehydrator out of an old draw with an extractor fan from a toilet haha. Works fantastically.

As for what you can use on your meat before you dehydrate it I think my old man gets Braai flakes or Biltong flavouring from Cape to Cairo in Ruse St, Osborne Park.

Best shit to bring back the memories! :rolleyes:

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 07:33 PM

Zuet boys coming out of the wood work for this thread ;)

MadDocker 17-12-2010 08:11 PM

Air dried under the patio in 3-4 days this time of year.

Cut your meat, lay it out and cover in average amount of rock salt then leave for 40 mins - 1 hour. Dip meat in apple cider vinegar removing excess salt and lay out. Shake on dried coriander, pepper, death rain and whatever else you fancy. Hook it up and hang in drying box.

You won't regret it.

GTB Liberty 17-12-2010 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=KouNtS_UtM;520916]Air dried under the patio in 3-4 days this time of year.

Cut your meat, lay it out and cover in average amount of rock salt then leave for 40 mins - 1 hour. Dip meat in apple cider vinegar removing excess salt and lay out. Shake on dried coriander, pepper, death rain and whatever else you fancy. Hook it up and hang in drying box.

You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

In the recipe book for prosperity.

_daz_ 17-12-2010 10:48 PM

A guy at work does his own and sells it to other staff, it's up there with the best biltong i've had. He actually buys liquid smoke to give it a smoky flavour, and then different degrees of chilli/spices

zuum 17-12-2010 11:08 PM

Stuff jerky got to be biltong and yes some say there is no difference but there is.... South Africa/Botswana/Zimbabwe makes me wanna go go back for a while... Cape to Cairo in Ozzie Park sell all you need from marinade to boxes for those ready for the challenge. Some good sounding mixes mentioned. If only we could some decent game like Kudu to make biltong..... drool

Maybe someone would like to recommend the Kudu comparison for Australia?

_daz_ 17-12-2010 11:16 PM

agreed, the meat used definitely makes massive difference

[url]http://www.mcd.com.au/game_meats.php[/url]

looks like you'll find all the game meat you want from here...

ImPreSiV 17-12-2010 11:23 PM

Would love to try some home made chilli or peri peri stokies or jerky!!!

Pimpreza 18-12-2010 02:36 AM

Can you still buy Road Kill, I think a guy in Exmouth used to make it and sell it in some pubs, best I've ever had.
Wouldn't mind trying to make it myself, I didn't realise it was that easy.

GTB Liberty 18-12-2010 09:15 AM

Road Kill is still around.

Have to agree with Zuum that game meat biltong is the bomb. Kudu makes excellent jerky but I my girl and I are very partial to the "McDonalds" of the bush - impala.

BOMB3R 24-03-2011 11:26 AM

Guys what dehydrators are you using? Will be buying one and getting my Jerky career under way asap. What dehydrators are good and is there something to look for in a good one?

MadDocker 24-03-2011 11:47 AM

Goodguys had a sunbeam one on special for about $60-70 a few weeks ago. In my opinion, get one with a good number of trays (4 absolute minimum) with the lowest temperature possible. You dont want to cook the meat, only dry it.

Pretty much anything will work you will just have to experiment a few times to get spacing and things right. In a pinch, make metal hooks out of wire, put your oven tray on the top rack and something on the bottom of the oven to catch drips then hang your meat on the hooks off the top rack. Crack the oven door open slightly and set it for around 50-60 degrees depending on the oven (fan forced only).

JDM_STYLE 24-03-2011 01:55 PM

So besides the game meat can you use any other meat from say your local butcher or coles etc?

MadDocker 24-03-2011 02:00 PM

Topside roast works well but try heaps of cuts and see what works best for you. 2kgs topside roast from Coles is around $10-15 and even better from some butchers.

Other then that you can try pretty much anything, I like putting boerewors and other nice quality falvoured snags in there for example.

BOMB3R 24-03-2011 02:13 PM

I found this on PSB. Worth a read

[url]http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f29/swtk-your-beef-jerky-recipes-41922/[/url]

Giddyup 24-03-2011 02:38 PM

I bought a food dehydrator off ebay for about $40 odd. It is round and has 6 trays which can be stacked on top of each other at different heights depending on the thickness of the cuts I put in there. To get a nicely dried jerky without being to dry, I normally have pieces about 10mm square and then what ever length. They sit in there for about 10 hours.

The type of meat makes a huge difference also, the better quality the meat, the better it will turn out I reckon. I normally use rump which turns put nice. But you want it to be fat free, I mean none at all on it so put in the time to cut it all off beforehand.

I might have to give the oven method a go also, sounds alright.

American Dave 24-03-2011 02:47 PM

this thread is making me thirsty...love it

MadDocker 24-03-2011 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Giddyup;548217]But you want it to be fat free, I mean none at all on it so put in the time to cut it all off beforehand. [/QUOTE]

Obviously personal choice but I disagree strongly with this.

Some slight marbling (not heaps) or a small amount of fat on the outside(again, not heaps) adds to the flavor of the meat. Not unlike a good steak for example. You will find that most places that sell SA Biltong (Conways etc.) will have fat on and in their meat because that's how it's done.

Test it out yourself and see what you prefer.

ImPreSiV 24-03-2011 03:30 PM

Jaron, shotgun taste testing! :)

BOMB3R 24-03-2011 03:48 PM

Just bought this baby!

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eurolab-Adjustable-Food-Dehydrator-5-Tier-NEW-/200578791825?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item2eb36d7991[/url]

Now to find a good chilli recipe!

subasurf 24-03-2011 05:57 PM

Anyone here selling?
Always on the look out for some new biltong to try. Saffa stuff only :p

Terry.Wrist 24-03-2011 06:06 PM

This thread makes me want to have ago this weekend.........I might :D

MadDocker 25-03-2011 12:05 PM

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/KouNtS_UtM/IMG_0371.jpg[/IMG]

More secret herbs and spices then the Colonel haha

BOMB3R 25-03-2011 12:38 PM

I think you should PM me that recipe!

Please :D

jasonmurray 25-03-2011 01:06 PM

That reminds me of a Sunday morning I would rather forget!

BOMB3R 30-03-2011 10:11 AM

Dehydrator arrived today! Jerky being made this weekend!

MadDocker 30-03-2011 11:07 AM

Good stuff, enjoy it. Whatever you make will be good and you'll getter better and better at it with time.

Giddyup 30-03-2011 12:21 PM

Progressive IGA has bulk rump steak on special at the moment for $5.99/kg which is bloody cheap. I went and picked up 12kg yesterday. Only slight hiccup in my plan, I can'y cut the bastards up as I am in a sling :-(

Josh 30-03-2011 12:34 PM

Interesting - This would make for a great snack at work.

How long does the jerky keep though? Where should it be stored once made?

Could I make enough for a working week on a Sunday night for example?

teejay 30-03-2011 12:39 PM

Stores for ages Josh.

The old school wogs my parents hang with dont make jerkey per se, but do dry out meat. Lasts ages.

BOMB3R 30-03-2011 12:41 PM

From PSB thread

about 4 weeks in the cupboard, freezing is months and about 8 weeks in the fridge.

from here ... [url]http://www.route66beefjerky.com/faq.html[/url]

What is the shelf life of your beef jerky?:
Answer: Because most of the moisture is removed through drying, it is shelf life stable and can be store without refrigeration, making it a handy food for backpackers and others who don't have access to refrigerators. Commercially packaged jerky can be kept 12 months - home dried jerky can be stored 1 to 2 months.

taken from here ... [url]http://www.askthemeatman.com/faq.htm[/url]

There are a couple of possibilities. Also, not all jerky will mold, it depends on a few things. The number 1 reason jerky will mold is that not enough moisture has been removed from the meat during the drying process. Jerky should have around 90 to 95% of the moisture in the meat removed during drying. If it doesn't, the moisture still in the meat leads to the possibility of mold spores growing. If the jerky is dried almost completely, mold usually won't grow. If you like your jerky a little moist, you could try to vacuum pack your jerky. Mold will not grow without air ( or oxygen ). There are some decent home vacuum packers on the market now, and these might be of use. Also, mold seems to grow or develop quicker in a moist atmosphere. So, the refrigerator is not a good place to store jerky, unless it is vacuum packed. But since jerky is dried meat, it is not necessary to store it refrigerated anyway.

Josh 30-03-2011 12:57 PM

Awesome, cheers J.

Scouring eBay now to see what options are available.

REXXXED 30-03-2011 12:58 PM

This thread is making me hungry......

Josh 30-03-2011 01:13 PM

Might wait and see how you go with yours Jaron and if it's good I'll just grab the same one :)

Anyone got any experience with the vacuum sealers on eBay too?