Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Charade, Starlet vs Swift GTI (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/4005-charade-starlet-vs-swift-gti.html)

pmh 28-02-2006 02:04 PM

Charade, Starlet vs Swift GTI

I'm just starting to look a little (very little to be honest, like the last 10 mins) into a Charade (turbo version - didn't think it existed, but was told the JDM came with one, no idea - hence my research now), Starlet GTI and Swift GTI

Not looking to purchasing one.....yet. Funds are extremely low but maybe later or if the lotto gods smile on me

Anyway, anyone had much experience with these. I've driven a GTI, so need a bit more info on the Charade and Starlet, looks nimble and cheap as well.

Starlet - $3000 and road worthy, with 150,000 odd ks.
GTI - $4000 and road worthy, with similar ks (unmodded or lightly moded)

It will be used really for a bit of weekend fun. Parts on these babies are relatively cheap (in comparison with the rex).

Please don't spam this with crap and dribble. Just after feedback on the topic

Adr3naL1N 28-02-2006 02:37 PM

josh (r4mp4g3) has a swift gti for sale, u mite of seen it in the for sale section. even thou u have driven one already joe, he mite be able to give ya some additional info on them/another opinion.

jEstEr? 28-02-2006 02:41 PM

Spend a little extra and get a 323 :P

that said, you could pick up a KE Ford laser TX3 (87-89) fwd turbo for not much too, and it would piss on the charade

Narchi 28-02-2006 03:07 PM

See if u can get the Starlet Turbo. I have seen 2 in perth.

EXPLICIT 28-02-2006 03:20 PM

Starlet turbo's (grey imports) can be had.
Charade's came in the GTTI format (i think) which was factory turbo, the odd one comes up for sale.
Charade de tomaso is the one to get, later model body (mid 90's) and big block 1.6L high comp n/a (big block in charade terms) handle very nicely too.
Swift GTI, plenty around, plenty of parts but not really that fast.

WRXTATIC 28-02-2006 03:33 PM

Just be aware some import vehicles can limit your insurance options. Some companies don't like underwriting imports (like r32 or silvia and 180s)

pmh 28-02-2006 03:46 PM

won't be a road car, and weekend use will limit the insurance companies. But just cars, shannons will look after it. That's the least of my worries right now though, but it is worth a thought. Thanks for that.

The Charade de tomaso, I've seen one of these in the flesh and it looks good. But they are rare

I'm not the biggest fan of the Swift as per jme's reason(s). But parts are cheap for them so that is a pro.

jEstEr? 28-02-2006 03:54 PM

joe, are you going to be doing autocross?

you could import an 87 Familia under the current rules with no problems

Narchi 28-02-2006 04:04 PM

yeah was told those familias are good. I think i know of a guy selling one

jEstEr? 28-02-2006 04:11 PM

yeah, me.