Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Telstra Velocity (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/41461-telstra-velocity.html)

perthzed 12-04-2011 07:23 AM

Telstra Velocity = Oxy Moron?

RichX 12-04-2011 08:13 AM

^^ So true.

sleepy 12-04-2011 08:23 AM

I'm very happy with my velocity. Haven't had any down time and pricing although a little high isn't ridiculous (as it was when we first moved in). Speeds vary a lot, some days I get close to 7-8MB/sec, other days its more like 2-3MB/sec, but it also depends on the website.
Apple is consistently fast, pretty much maxing my 100mbit connection when downloading iTunes or iOS updates.
Telstra Velocity support is very good, every time I've hung up the phone I've been happy with the outcome, I think they have improved greatly.

Jezza 12-04-2011 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=sleepy;555028]I'm very happy with my velocity. Haven't had any down time and pricing although a little high isn't ridiculous (as it was when we first moved in). Speeds vary a lot, some days I get close to 7-8MB/sec, other days its more like 2-3MB/sec, but it also depends on the website.
Apple is consistently fast, pretty much maxing my 100mbit connection when downloading iTunes or iOS updates.
Telstra Velocity support is very good, every time I've hung up the phone I've been happy with the outcome, I think they have improved greatly.[/QUOTE]

+1 with the support... although only the Velocity number! When I first rang Bigpond, only the normal number, the person on the other end didn't even know what Velocity was!

pete gopal 12-04-2011 10:58 AM

i seem to have been under a rock for some time....is telstra installing fibre to houses these days? from houses to exchanges and so on?

i'm pretty sure my house is copper however from the exchange onwards im not sure

tarmac 12-04-2011 11:07 AM

our velocity is ultra dodgy at the moment speed drops to 0.05 intermittently, they know about it and have said it affects 100 people in our area and their response is that they will fix it but they will not say when(even the telstra person on the phone couldn't believe that). its been like this for months now.cant even watch dodgy videos on YouTube.

Soksta 12-04-2011 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=tarmac;555093]our velocity is ultra dodgy at the moment speed drops to 0.05 intermittently, they know about it and have said it affects 100 people in our area and their response is that they will fix it but they will not say when(even the telstra person on the phone couldn't believe that). its been like this for months now.cant even watch dodgy videos on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

If they have placed a CNI (Customer Network Improvement) I would be a bit worried, they generally won't resolve them straight away until it affects a significant amount of people.

Had a mate who was on a CNI for nearly 2 years before he had a faulty line replaced (affected the whole street).

Guess they might fix it when it becomes financially viable to them :confused:

tarmac 12-04-2011 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Soksta;555094]If they have placed a CNI (Customer Network Improvement) I would be a bit worried, they generally won't resolve them straight away until it affects a significant amount of people.

Had a mate who was on a CNI for nearly 2 years before he had a faulty line replaced (affected the whole street).

Guess they might fix it when it becomes financially viable to them :confused:[/QUOTE]

a repair guy has been out twice already to patch up the line, the first time he said he was surprised we had telephone at all as it was the worst he had ever seen.

reconus 12-04-2011 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=pete gopal;555088]i seem to have been under a rock for some time....is telstra installing fibre to houses these days? from houses to exchanges and so on?

i'm pretty sure my house is copper however from the exchange onwards im not sure[/QUOTE]

part of government plans to provide better network in australia. we're far behind as far as anything goes..

New development would more than likely be getting fed FTTP. Existing residents would be waiting a bit before fibre is fed to them.

ImPreSiV 12-04-2011 03:28 PM

I have fibre from the exchange direct to my house Pete. A lot of new estates have this. My TV, Phone, Internet all come down the same cable...

I'm with Dave too, every time I call them, I get off the phone somewhat satisfied. Although I had a good 10 years with iiNet before this move and I never had a problem with them either