Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Telstra Velocity (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/41461-telstra-velocity.html)

GOOSE 11-04-2011 10:45 AM

Telstra Velocity

Gday Guys

So i'm moving into Ellenbrook later this week and am about to organise the setup of our home internet connection.

Does anyone already use "Telstra Velocity" and if so what are your thoughts/opinions.

I am thinking of the Ultimate Plan for 200GB per month and speeds of up to 100Mbps (although i highly doubt it will be that fast).

Jezza 11-04-2011 10:48 AM

I'm in Ellenbrook & have Telstra Velocity...

Currently on the 200GB plan for $100 per month...

Internet is pretty good, but sometimes it slows down strangely when we are no-where near our limit.

I kinda want to see what competition there is to Bigpond on the fibre-optic, (if there is any) as a cheaper deal would be great

JDM_STYLE 11-04-2011 10:53 AM

Telstra will not let any other competitor use the FTP, the estate I'm in near CV has FTP and the only other internet services we can get is through the phoneline or wireless which is ghey!!!

Plans are a bit shit a the moment as it goes irc 2gb, 50gb, 200gb, they used to have 12gb, 25gb and 100gb.

Speeds are super fast where we are but sometimes you'll get the odd slow day do to work on the lines going on etc but not too often to get worked up about.

GTB Liberty 11-04-2011 11:37 AM

Like all fibre/cable systems your sharing a line - albeit a fast one. If there is lots of local traffic it will slow down.

reconus 11-04-2011 12:04 PM

yeah fibre isn't wholesaled through other carriers. shits on normal net anyways.. get it.

207 de 11-04-2011 02:35 PM

Bit OT but...

My parents are getting pov service from Telstra and I want to switch out internet and phone over to iinet.

The issue is that our line is pretty shot/damaged and telstra always just patch it (we are semi rural).

If we have a comms fault and it requires (or is due to) physical cable replacement/damage, who is responsible for that?

Soksta 11-04-2011 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=207 de;554789]If we have a comms fault and it requires (or is due to) physical cable replacement/damage, who is responsible for that?[/QUOTE]

You lodge a fault with your provider who in turn lodges a fault with Telstra.
Telstra will send a technician out to chase up the fault and will determine what course of action will be undertaken.

I also live in a semi rural area (Bedfordale) and we haven't had too many faults over the years, but 2 years ago Telstra replaced the loom that runs up the street as they were getting too many faults.

ImPreSiV 11-04-2011 03:15 PM

I have Velocity where I am in Butler. It's quick internet.. but its spendy because Telstra have a monopoly on it. I got $1500 credit from Telstra because I was the first person to connect up to it in my current house (ie: I built the house) so that's lasted me over 10months, including buying the wireless router and $300 connection fee

jEstEr? 11-04-2011 04:58 PM

I thought iiNet did fibre in Ellenbrook?

Jezza 11-04-2011 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;554796]I have Velocity where I am in Butler. It's quick internet.. but its spendy because Telstra have a monopoly on it. I got $1500 credit from Telstra because I was the first person to connect up to it in my current house (ie: I built the house) so that's lasted me over 10months, including buying the wireless router and $300 connection fee[/QUOTE]

+ 1

Only just started paying bills for phone/internet almost a year down the track