Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 10:30 AM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Mandurah Mandurah Road and Dixon Road NORTH

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport
Old 29-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

I initially thought you could only get done if you go past the camera, so the camera takes a shot of the arse end of your car as you drive past it. Even if you are turning right.

Im not 100% but you may get done if you jump the lights going the opposite direction to which it's facing (coming head on to it) as there are sensors in the ground past the white line on both sides of the lights.

If you are driving parallel to it, you should be fine though?, (it still may record you, but it wouldn't be able to identify you, unless you did it every day to the point where the police are then there waiting for you)

These things have up to 12megapixel cameras too.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:39 AM

RichX knows their stuff

^^ It points both directions though, takes a photo of the arse end of you car, or the front if you're coming the other way. I wouldn't test this method - There are sensors on both sides of the lights.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:41 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
^^ It points both directions though, takes a photo of the arse end of you car, or the front if you're coming the other way. I wouldn't test this method - There are sensors on both sides of the lights.
but the flash light only point to one direction?

Old 29-06-2011, 10:46 AM

RichX knows their stuff

There are infrared add-on options available depending on how they've kitted them out for Perth, im not sure what the speed detection method is on these things.

There are a bunch of different ways it can calculate speed. I think the sensors in the road are purely for red light running, and it measures speed a different way.

If you run a red on the opposite side of from where the camera is, pretty sure it will record you, and if it's an 11Mp shot, i don't like your chances.

As mentioned though, it does record 8 seconds of when it goes amber and into red for every light change.

Do you want to try it and let us know i wonder ??
Old 29-06-2011, 10:48 AM
STI Master

there are two heads on those things.a guy from V1 told me before the camera uses lidar to detect speed, I think its the small head which only works on one direction. The big head is a infer-red video recorder works on both direction

Old 29-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Was always curious, can you get done for accelerating off the green and hitting over 60kmph through an intersection?
Old 29-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
Was always curious, can you get done for accelerating off the green and hitting over 60kmph through an intersection?
If you were taking off from a stand still and hit 70 before the end of the intersection, I would say that you would still be in range of the camera and its detection capabilities and could possibly get done.

I'll forward this to a mate of mine who can provide a very clear answer to it.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Subaru Tech Division

PRODIGY at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
Was wondering exactly the same thing, look forward to someone being able to confirm for us.

Do radar detectors pick up these traffic light speed cameras?
Old 29-06-2011, 11:31 AM

RichX knows their stuff

If they are lidar, then laser, so no not really.

In terms of accelerating hard off the line, lidar would still get you if you are in range of it's spec and capabilities i would say, also the intersection you are at, and how the camera is physically setup potentially.

To make it happen, i'd suggest you'd want a 6k dump with semi-slicks on a dry road to achieve a rapid accel to 65 to do it within it's target range though! street-cred! (at which point you may be lucky enough to have enough blue rubber smoke to hide your number plate)

Quote:
LIDAR relies on the principle of time-of-flight of a laser beam to calculate the speed of the target object. Devices typically send out a stream of approximately 100 pulses over the span of three-tenths of a second. The reflected signals are then processed using statistical algorithm to pick which reflected signals to retain.

The use of many reflections and an averaging technique in the speed measurement process increase the integrity of the speed reading. Vehicles are usually equipped with a horizontally oriented registration plate that, when illuminated, causes a high integrity reflection to be returned to the LIDAR - despite the shape of the vehicle.

In locations that do not require that a front or rear registration plate is fitted, headlamps and rear-reflectors provide almost ideal retro-reflective surfaces overcoming the reflections from uneven or non-compliant reflective surfaces thereby eliminating “sweep” error. It is these mechanisms which cause concern that LIDAR is somehow unreliable.

Tags
30, camera, directionconfirmed, dual, locations, redlight, speed