Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 11:30 AM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level
Default Need your help website guru's!

Hey guys, well i am trying to create my wife's website as we just couldn't afford to pay someone to do it for us. I am doing quite well using frontpage (i know everyone hate its that know how to build websites) but it was the most user friendly i could find!

This is the dilemma i have at the moment:

I am trying to get the thumbnail to open into a full size picture into the blue box i have outlined, all i'm getting is a new page that opens when thumbnail been clicked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if unable to explain over the internet and you want to come show me ill be happy to supply a carton.

Thanks

Paul
Old 18-09-2011, 01:25 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

Paul you would be better learning how to code some basic html/css/javascript by hand rather than using Frontpage as it will always be shit and a waste of your time. Go do a short course or if your a self-learner buy some books.

As for your problem above Frontpage will only open a new window - what you want is a Modal Window which requires a combination of css & javascript and I found something you could use here:
JavaScript Modal Windows – TinyBox2 - Web Development Blog

But like I said if your going to develop your own site you should invest some time and get some basic skills under your belt rather than waste time fucking around with Frontpage.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:31 PM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

Damn it... and i thought i was doing so well!! So its not possible to do it within frontpage? Or just add the html code into the code section of frontpage?
Old 18-09-2011, 03:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

Paul the problem for you is it's not just html but css/javasript (jQuery framework) so normally you have CSS and Javascript separate from the html see this tutorial:
Simple jQuery Modal Window Tutorial | Queness

With your level of experience perhaps you should look at simply purchasing a jQuery template or similar for about $60.00:
jQuery Templates, jQuery Web Templates

...this way you get a professional looking design (no offence we all started somewhere) with the interactivity you are looking for - that said you will more than likely still need some basic coding knowledge to make it work the way you want.

I started my career with a Sams Publishing "Teach Yourself HTML in 24 Hours" which is still a great reference but that was 12 years ago pre CSS.

Maybe try and get a copy of this book:
Sams Teach Yourself jQuery in 24 Hours by Steven Holzner | Penguin Books Australia

Tags
guru, website