Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Lasik (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/44764-lasik.html)

speedy 19-09-2011 11:20 AM

Lasik

Hi All

I am looking into getting LASIK done as I don't like glasses. I am just wondering if anyone on here has had it done and if so what do you think and what did you think of the whole process. Tell me anything I should know before going ahead with something like this. I know you only get one set of eyes and I would hate to end up with less vision. I would also like to know what centre you used to get it done.

I did do a search and found a thread on here form 2006 but I though as the thread was so old I would start a new one.

mitchwnz 19-09-2011 12:15 PM

Hey my girlfriends father owns/runs Perth Laser Vision.. I can ask for you if you like :-)

GTB Liberty 19-09-2011 12:21 PM

I'd be interested as well Mitch.

Glad to see you got out of bed ;)

Jeckle 19-09-2011 12:23 PM

I had it done about 7 years ago. I was very short sighted and also had astigmatism. To give you an idea, if I squinted I could read the big A on an eyesight chart.

For me it took about 6 months for my vision to come good, my eyes were overcorrected due the way the eye heals (this was explained to me). Since then good vision, and only now looking at getting my eyes rechecked.

Down side, for about a year I had problems with dry eyes at night, the cornea would stick to the inside of my eye lid, then the top layer was ripped off when I woke in the morning, but some lacralube helped here. No issues now.(for last 5 years only once or twice a year, in winter with the aircon on at night)

Don't watch the video of the op.

Kato 19-09-2011 12:29 PM

Interested as well how they go with astigmatisms these days.

The main thing that concerns me is they only do one eye at a time in case you go blind. This does not give me confidence!

GTB Liberty 19-09-2011 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;609357]Interested as well how they go with astigmatisms these days.

The main thing that concerns me is they only do one eye at a time in case you go blind. This does not give me confidence![/QUOTE]

+1 to the above. It's the astigmatism repair and "one eye first" that put me off of it years ago.

I'm also not blind enough to need glasses for driving or much else bar reading or TV watching.

Soksta 19-09-2011 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;609356]Don't watch the video of the op.[/QUOTE]
One of the first things I did when I was thinking about getting my eyes fixed!
It is an interesting proceedure none the less.

When I did my research a couple of years ago I found that there were two different types of eye surgery available, LASIK and PRK.

LASIK requires a flap to be made on the outer cornea, something I'm not too keen to have done, where as PRK doesn't require a cut to be made to the cornea.
However the healing times for the eye can be a big longer than LASIK, a friend of mine had the PRK and endured two weeks of discomfort and slight pain due to going down the PRK pathway, they do give you pain medications to help ease the discomfort :D

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;609353]Hey my [B]soon to be wife's [/B] father owns/runs Perth Laser Vision.. I can ask for you if you like :-)[/QUOTE]
Fixed and also keen to hear his perspective on the matter :D

[QUOTE=speedy;609340]I am looking into getting LASIK done as I don't like glasses. [/QUOTE]
I don't like them either, but since getting some very light weight frames I don't mind them as much as I used to.
Might be worthwhile looking at lightweight frames if you don't want to go down the laser eye surgery path.

MISSWRXYSTi 19-09-2011 12:47 PM

My friend ( in fact most peoples friend on here ! Carlz) had it done and got someone to take photos and put them on facebook... lol.. she hated wearing her specs but she suited them !!! she rated it highly and she's never looked back...so to speak....

mitchwnz 19-09-2011 12:52 PM

Unfortunately they cannot discount the surgery... something about losing a license haha..

Tony.. was reading the website but have asked for clarification.

PRK
Photorefractive Keratectomy
PRK differs from LASIK in that it involves the complete removal of the surface layer of the cornea (epithelium) before the laser correction begins. The Excimer laser is then applied directly to the underlying cornea to smoothly reshape this surface and correct the refractive error. After the surgery a contact lens is placed over the eye to assist with healing and comfort. The surface layer then heals over several days to cover the treated area. Medication and eye drops are provided to the patient over this time to help with any discomfort and irritation. Useful vision in PRK occurs when the epithelium has regrown, usually within 4 to 7 days. Corneal haze is a significant side effect with PRK as the eye heals; haze can cause or exacerbate symptoms such as glare and haloes. However, PRK continues to be an effective treatment for low refractive errors.
LASEK - Laser Assisted Epithelial Keratomileusis LASEK is a slight modification to the PRK procedure. After the Excimer laser treatment the thin layer of epithelial cells are placed back into position and a contact lens applied to assist with healing and comfort levels. This treatment has similar healing times as PRK but reduces the post-operative discomfort.

speedy 19-09-2011 01:16 PM

Thanks for that info I didn't know about PRK. It sounds like it would be alot worse than lasik.

I have already been watching videos on youtube. It seems that the Lions Eye makes the cut with the laser. It sounds alot better than with a blade.

I also have a astigmatism but I was under the impression that they did both eyes at the same time.

Once I have spoken to someone I will let you all know what the deal is there. If they are only going to do one eye at a time I dont think I will end up doing it.

Soksta 19-09-2011 01:22 PM

I stand corrected, thanks Mutch :D

Jeckle 19-09-2011 01:54 PM

I had astigmatism in both eyes, mild in one and worse in the other, can't remember the values but the worse eye was close to the limit from memory (for the time 7 years ago) had both done at the same time.

A work colleague had it done about 5 years earlier (in Sydney) than that and he had one done at a time, but no major complications (about -3 for short shortsightedness, I was -6.5 and -7.0 with 1.75?? astigmatism from memory).

I had Lasik done and was snow skiing in Queenstown 2 weeks later. Other things I remember were the buzz sound of the cornea being cut, a but of a smell as the lazer was working, (maybe that was psychological) the pressing of the eye during set up. Being able to see clearly, blurred, clearly as the eye was washed and checked.

After the surgery next few days I had alot of sleep (crusty bits) stick in my eye lashes, no real problem with that.

Having the dry eyes, and ripping of the cornea was very painful, and when this happened to took a few days to settle down again, the sound of PRK makes my eyes water.

The halo effect was very evident for the first year, but I have always had this, and this has improved markedly over the last few years.

Kato 19-09-2011 01:59 PM

When you say 'did both at the same time' do you mean:

1. They zapped both eyes at the same time?

or

2. Zapped one eye, checked that you could still see and then zapped the other eye?

Option 2 is what I meant by they don't do both eyes at the same time (they do them at the same appointment though). But most of my research was in the early days of this stuff.

Also, how long is it meant to last for?

mitchwnz 19-09-2011 02:02 PM

Got a reply direct from Perth Lazer Vision :-)

"Hi Mitch,
The equipment that we use for the LASIK flap does not "cut" as such. The Femtosecond forms a tiny bubble layer under the cornea and then a blunt instrument gently lifts the flap. Older technology did use a blade, but the new method does not.
Some patients do choose PRK and it is a valid choice. It is more uncomfortable post surgery, but you are given pain relief.
I would recommend the LASIK procedure using the Femtosecond to form the flap. This flap is less than a human hair in thickness and bonds back again very easily.
You may like to visit our website www.perthlaservision.com.au"

Jeckle 19-09-2011 02:19 PM

Kato

It was one after the other in the same "sitting", lying down, no real checks that I could see until the next day. It was do one, change to the next eye, and off we go again with the new settings for that eye.

To be honest, I'm glad it was not separated by even an hour. It was a bit unnerving with the eye being "clawed open" clock work orange style, and the weight of the machine and the clamping of your head in place. (done for really good and obvious reasons)

It wasn't painful, just a bit freeky. My wife who watched it in the observing room said that the eye looked like jelly when it was opened up.

I had it done when I was about 34, and I'm now 41, and in the last month I've noticed one eye is not as clear as it has been over the past years, but still fine in good light, and still able to read comfortably with it.

As I was short sighted, I am still likely to suffer with long sightedness as most of the population does as the age, but from very short sighted, unable to get off the counter lenses, they were always special order and took at least a week to make.

The best thing was no longer requiring corrective lenses to drive, and getting out of the habit of reaching for your glasses in the morning when you wake up it was worth doing for me.

pmh 19-09-2011 02:23 PM

One eye at a time but in the same sitting
If it goes well, you'll get pretty good vision within the hr or two (for me anyway)

Graham Furness runs the Laser Eye Surgery in Subi Centro - some of you will know him

1st visit is free, where they will check if your eyes are suitable for laser eye surgery and 2nd visit, they will check which type is suitable

reckon this is one of the best surgery - you can play sports with no issues with contact lenses, no worried about glasses

Strubaru 19-09-2011 02:34 PM

dam, thought this thread was about laksa :rolleyes:

one of my mates at work just had this laser eye surgery done & rates it highly, can get more details of where if you like

pmh 19-09-2011 02:53 PM

john, i suffer from astigmatism as well
able to sort it out

BLUES 19-09-2011 03:03 PM

I went to Lions Eye Institute to correct short sightedness & astigmatism - had the surgery done on a Thursday arvo @ 3pm (both eyes) - went back the following morning @ 7am for a check-up. Caught the train home & watched TV that afternoon.

Wish I had done it 15 years ago.

zmk 19-09-2011 03:13 PM

Peeps with astigmatism, how much did you pay for your treatment?

BLUES 19-09-2011 03:25 PM

About $3k per eye (that was about 5-6 yrs ago).

pmh 19-09-2011 03:29 PM

5k walk in walk out

if you're game, you can do it in Bangkok for 2.5k
or Singapore for 3.5k

Aftercare will be a problem if something happened

speedy 19-09-2011 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=zmk;609445]Peeps with astigmatism, how much did you pay for your treatment?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know this aswell.

I called laser eye vision and they said it was $6100 so thats like $3050 each eye. This was a general quote.

LadyinRed 19-09-2011 03:47 PM

I looked into it as my eye sight is shocking. But I wasn't keen on the risks as small as they are. I'd rather have poor eye sight then none at all.

Getting the wisdom teeth out instead.

teejay 19-09-2011 03:49 PM

Its not really something you want to go bargain hunting for is it?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlVXHa31vAs]family guy jewish laser eye surgery - YouTube[/url]

NVRENUF 19-09-2011 04:46 PM

would it really be much of a saving after flights and acc.
plus who cares how much you save, not something i would be skimping on lol

GX-REX 19-09-2011 05:24 PM

I have heard that you need to have glasses and no change in sight for a minimum of 2 years prior to getting lasik. Any truth to that?
I should get my eyes checked but don't like the thought of having to have glasses so would be keen if you can skip that step...

Strubaru 19-09-2011 05:40 PM

my mate at work had to go from contact lenses back to glasses for 'x' months, wasn't that long maybe 6, will get more details from him at work 2moro

speedy 19-09-2011 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX;609524]I have heard that you need to have glasses and no change in sight for a minimum of 2 years prior to getting lasik. Any truth to that?
I should get my eyes checked but don't like the thought of having to have glasses so would be keen if you can skip that step...[/QUOTE]

I have been looking into this alot They say you should have a huge improvement in site about 2 hours after the surgery. You should notice a difference straight away and not need to wear glasses.

They say that your eye site will keep improving over the first three months.

gorotsuki69 19-09-2011 11:30 PM

I was very short sighted at -5.5 with astigmatism and the clinic in Subi wouldn't do it. Went to Dr McGeorge at SJOG Murdoch and was no problem for him . cost $6K both eyes done on same day. Was meant to keep eyes dry for a few weeks but went to Thailand the very next week and went swimming & snorkelling whoops.
2 years later I still get dry eyes sometimes which makes the vision a bit blurry but not that bad. Just have a bottle of moisturising eyedrops handy.
I was told I would see halos at night around lights but I don't have that problem or it doesn't bother me. My night vision is as good as before with glasses.

speedy 20-09-2011 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=gorotsuki69;609740]I was told I would see halos at night around lights but I don't have that problem or it doesn't bother me. My night vision is as good as before with glasses.[/QUOTE]

I have read that the halos will go away with time if you do get them.

I have booked to go see an optometrist on the weekend so they can refure me to a clink.

mitchwnz 20-09-2011 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=gorotsuki69;609740]IWent to Dr McGeorge at SJOG Murdoch.[/QUOTE]

Good man.. thats my Girlfriends father :-).

If anybody is interested I have pre-warned them that they might get some phone calls.

Ask for Letitia - Maybe mention you're a friend of Mitch and Heather.
[B]Phone:[/B](08) 9366 1655
[FONT=Times New Roman][url=http://www.perthlaservision.com.au/]Perth Laser Vision :: Laser Eye Surgery Perth, Eye Surgery Perth, Lasik Eye Surgey, Perth Opthalmologist, Myopia, Hyperopia[/url][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

Jeckle 20-09-2011 02:43 PM

Thumbs up for Dr McGeorge.

XT43 20-09-2011 02:46 PM

[IMG]http://www.perthlaservision.com.au/grfx/PLV-rollover-photos-1.jpg[/IMG]

nauli 20-09-2011 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=pmh;609420]Graham Furness runs the Laser Eye Surgery in Subi Centro - some of you will know him

1st visit is free, where they will check if your eyes are suitable for laser eye surgery and 2nd visit, they will check which type is suitable

reckon this is one of the best surgery - you can play sports with no issues with contact lenses, no worried about glasses[/QUOTE]

+1 for Graham...very skilled and respected and I'm sure many of you know him as a very quick punter in the Laser Eye Surgery MY05 STI tarmac rally car...unfortunately destroyed in Targa West this year....so he needs the money to re-build it!
But seriously, everyone I know who's been to Graham is full of praise...plus he can talk about Subarus to take your mind off the treatment!

gorotsuki69 20-09-2011 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;609967]Good man.. thats my Girlfriends father :-).

If anybody is interested I have pre-warned them that they might get some phone calls.

Ask for Letitia - Maybe mention you're a friend of Mitch and Heather.
[B]Phone:[/B](08) 9366 1655
[FONT=Times New Roman][url=http://www.perthlaservision.com.au/]Perth Laser Vision :: Laser Eye Surgery Perth, Eye Surgery Perth, Lasik Eye Surgey, Perth Opthalmologist, Myopia, Hyperopia[/url][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/QUOTE]

fark make sure you marry her even if just for the inheritance :)

gorotsuki69 20-09-2011 06:18 PM

AAAAAGGGH HE'S EVERYWHERE!!!

[IMG]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2294/clipboard01kr.jpg[/IMG]

speedy 27-09-2011 08:28 AM

I went and spoke to a centre that does LASIK. It seems that it is only a fix for about 10 years then you have to have it redone. Also there is alot of unknown about the whole thing as it is still in its development stage. I think I will look into it again in about 5 years to see what has been changed.

I am just going to stick with contacts until then.

Thanks all for your help and thoughts.

Jeckle 27-09-2011 09:05 AM

Bugger, looks like I only have 2-3 years to go. They (my eyes) will have to get worse, and a lot worse quickly before I need to think about glasses/contacts in that time.

gorotsuki69 27-09-2011 10:48 AM

it's good until you are around 45 then you might need reading glasses.