Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
I get the whole idea of joyce making the most money so he gets the biggest bonus, yep makes perfect sense but if the company keeps delivering huge profits why cant their be payrises for the people who help keep the profits coming?

As for the award wage, the award wages are null and void, the award wage in my trade is $10/hr less than what im on, in the current market im still regarded as being underpaid.

If everyone was on the award wage, we would all be broke and living in the rich peoples rental properties making them more rich and us on the bones of our ass.

Award wages were developed ages ago and havent kept up with the market.

Just like redbook for cars - people know what their car is worth but redbook has a generic value for it.
This is all fine in theory, except the workers are asking for more than the whole profit of last year in extras. This is the point most people are missing.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

So Master D why aren't you protesting for more money or guaranteed job? They already get 30% more than Virgin & who knows where that sits compared to minimum wage.

Just heard Gillard on the radio joining the Blame Qantas bandwagon. Could be another nail in the coffin, general public will side with but forget by election time, big business wont be so forgetful.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Quote:
but if the company keeps delivering huge profits why cant their be payrises for the people who help keep the profits coming?
Why? They are doing their job. They don't work any harder, the company makes a big profit and the want a cut but they have not done any more work to earn it.

If it was making a massive loss can the company give them massive paycuts, well below what is fair and reasonable for them to be paid and insist they work the same amount? No they wouldn't, people would be made redundant yes (with whatever payout was due to them) but all those still employed would still earn what they are due as being a fair amount. If they did not the law would soon step in and rectify that.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
So Master D why aren't you protesting for more money or guaranteed job? They already get 30% more than Virgin & who knows where that sits compared to minimum wage.

Just heard Gillard on the radio joining the Blame Qantas bandwagon. Could be another nail in the coffin, general public will side with but forget by election time, big business wont be so forgetful.
yeah, but it was the unions that backed in Rudd / Gillard.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
This is all fine in theory, except the workers are asking for more than the whole profit of last year in extras. This is the point most people are missing.
This is true, i think the amount they are looking for is stupid, ie will ruin the company, thats crazy.

Apg39 - for me, im currently renegotiating my terms because im not happy.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Got back from Sydney last night on QF571, fortunately our flight wasn't affected, it flew out 3 1/2 hrs after Qantas got approval to fly again.

Found out while preparing to go to a school reunion out at Dubbo NSW. We made contact with the motel we were staying at Sunday night to tenativley book a room for Monday if it was required, thankfully it wasn't.

I haven't read all of the posts on this, but why is it OK for the boss to make a decision that affects people immediatley, and the unions have to give 72hrs notice? The BS about flight safety. The pilots would have been more concerned about getting home to their families that night rather than being locked out in a few days. Alan Joyce is the boss, but not the owner, the shareholders are, people like I am, and am soon not to be, selling today.

I believe, that if the announcement on Saturday was a lock out to take place at 5pm on Monday, instead of immediatley, the result would have been the same re FWA, and Qantas wouldn't have lost the estimated $100m (would have gone well towards the workers pays) and no-one flying would have been disrupted.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Burnout!

From my understanding it was the workers striking who were saying the planes weren't safe to fly in their comments. Therefore fleet grounded until it was resolved.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Why? They are doing their job. They don't work any harder, the company makes a big profit and the want a cut but they have not done any more work to earn it.
So why does Joyce get one? He's employed to run the company and supply a profit back to the shareholders. He did his job and nothing more!

If he hasn't done anything more, why should he get a cut of the companies profit over Joe blogs worker?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

i'll still fly qantas regardless.

Long live the WRC
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Burnout!

Quote:
So why does Joyce get one? He's employed to run the company and supply a profit back to the shareholders. He did his job and nothing more!

If he hasn't done anything more, why should he get a cut of the companies profit over Joe blogs worker?
Dave, it is part of his contract to receive renumeration based on performance.

People only bring this up as it is a lot of money for the average joe, but not in a global CEO level. You want a global CEO to run a company, you need to pay the bucks.

It is exactly the same as if they paid their employees the award wage and then gave incentive bonuses based on performance. Then everyone at Virgin complained because the Qantas people made an extra 70% this year for meeting their targets.

Tags
qantas