Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
From my understanding it was the workers striking who were saying the planes weren't safe to fly in their comments. Therefore fleet grounded until it was resolved.

From Alan Joyces' statement on Saturday.

The lock-out will commence from 8pm on Monday night Sydney local time and will continue until further notice.
Because the pilots, ramp, baggage and catering staff and licensed engineers are essential to the running of the airline, the lock-out makes it necessary for us to ground the fleet. However, I cannot wait until Monday to do so.
This is a very tense environment. Individual reactions to this lock-out decision may be unpredictable. We are always conservative in our approach.
For this reason, as a precautionary measure, we have decided to ground the Qantas international and domestic fleet immediately.
I repeat, we are grounding the Qantas fleet now.

There was not action planned by the workers, they had not given any notice, if they had striked, they would have been liable for fines of $22,000 each. Previous action taken by the land based unions were only for a few hrs, not 40hrs straight, and the pilots read announcement before landing and wore red ties. If the unions had escallated the dispute, then lock out the flights. Alan could obviously stop the planes as he saw fit, and did so.

The unions have been "negotiating" for a long time, they want the issue resolved, so going to WFA is in their best interests. The unions always believe their claims are just, we'll mine does anyway, this will bring a decision which may not be as good as they want, but its from the "courts" so they would be stuck with it.

If Alan Joyce can get a large pay rise, why can't the workers get a bit as well. Alan Joyce introduced Jetstar as a low cost budget alternative, so they have one. I'm happy to pay more for for a Australian flight, crewed by Australians, serviced here in Australia, by Australians. Let Alan Joyce run Jet Star, base himself in Asia, and go from there. BTW, the owners of Qanatas haven't received anything from Qantas's record profits, last payment was back in 08/09 of 6c, another reason for me to have sold today.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Quote:
People only bring this up as it is a lot of money for the average joe, but not in a global CEO level. You want a global CEO to run a company, you need to pay the bucks.
Bingo.

This is also the reason we will never have decent politicians, because their pay is dismal by comparison.

However the average Joe can not accept paying a public servant what they would consider and exuberant amount of taxpayers money to run their country, because "Its not fair".
Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
If Alan Joyce can get a large pay rise, why can't the workers get a bit as well.
Keen to know if anyone knows actual facts as I only skim read the news...

But I read that the total of the workers demands amount to $300m. This is different to getting 'a bit'.

Then again, without any sources that could just be pure shit.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

^ Heard the same, was in yesterdays West as well. And thats only accepting 2 of the 3 unions demands.

He doesnt get that payrise yet either...12 months pending meeting all the conditions.

Lockout was planned for Monday night but planes grounded immediately because distractions are a huge factor in plane crashes. I can imagine the striking employees would be pretty worked up. I would rather they stop all flights to be safe than see passengers killed in a crash.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:

But I read that the total of the workers demands amount to $300m. This is different to getting 'a bit'.

Yes $300m for every worker in QANTAS yet A.J. gets about $5m himself anyway?

They wont be the first company to be destroyed by a greedy CEO. Tell your friends about one tell.

Last edited by RUSSGT; 01-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Yes $300m for every worker in QANTAS yet A.J. gets about 1/3 of that figure himself anyway?.
Check your maths bro!
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Quote:

Not sure of the total amount, and both parties want to make it sound the best for them, lies dam lies and statistics.

From the open union letter to Alan Joyce, (Qantas offer)

You offered Qantas ground and catering crews the following with respect to job security:
• Airports – 45% of work contracted out
• Fleet – 55% of work contracted out
• Catering – 45% of work contracted out
• Freight – 25% of work contracted out

So for most areas, almost half of the people working there could be labour hire workers, paid a different rate, thats the bit about job security, not in my view Alan Joyce stating that the unions want to do out of date work practices. I saw an interview where Alan said its a bit like servicing your own modern car, he doesn't check the oil and water in his car anymore as its not needed. I certainly do on all my vehicles, and hope they do on a plane which flys in the conditions that they do!

Pay side

On pay, the company offered 3% per annum, with 1% extra for some senior staff. We have
always said the 5% pay and 1% superannuation request was negotiable.

So their not a world away on this. Current inflation rate is 3.5%

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

You have to remember Joyce was not given a payrise - he was paid a bonus, 98% of shareholders voted YES.

Performance bonuses are nothing new in the workplace.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUES View Post
Check your maths bro!
LOL Will do. Stuffed that up big time.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

The thing that really frightens me is that by moving the company to Singers or whatever they dont need to have the same Aus standards for safety. IE pilots can fly much more with less breaks etc...

Tags
qantas