Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 12:21 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

ugly yawnfest win for the blues, must be the fewest disposals in a game ever for Judd....looking forward to seeing the blues and eagles go at it
Old 28-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
For Jaron

xoxoxoxoxox haha Great game! Unlike the crap I watched last night!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 28-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Last nights game is half the reason I don't really give a shit about missing a game of footy anymore.
The fucked up over-possed style of play nowadays is a blight on the game and a good old fashioned shoot out is almost a thing of the past.
Instead of Carey v Jackovich, Silvagni v Ablett, Lloyd v Macintosh we get Judd v Crowley for fucks sake. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for taggers in the game but never will one win a Brownlow like Libratore did when the game was at its greatest.
Sure plenty of goals are kicked ( Buddy Franklin as an example ) but fuck me it is horrible to watch the scrappy spectacle that is involved in kicking one.
I understand that there are still some epic shoot outs in the modern game but when coaches are continually looking over their shoulder, shutdown football will run rife.
Don't get me wrong, it is still a great game but gone are the days of great match ups and games worth not answering the front door for.
GTB Liberty (28-04-2012)
Old 28-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Compare to the Freo WAFL derby on right now ... I know which game I'd rather watch for enjoyment.
Old 28-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Compare to the Freo WAFL derby on right now ... I know which game I'd rather watch for enjoyment.
o_0 Someone is showing a game of Union?
Old 28-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
The fucked up over-possed style of play nowadays is a blight on the game and a good old fashioned shoot out is almost a thing of the past.
The game is becoming over-possessed and scrappy due to over-umpiring and soft umpiring (eg. bullshit quick "holding the ball" decisions and being told to move the ball on after blinking three times).
Old 28-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
The game is becoming over-possessed and scrappy due to over-umpiring and soft umpiring (eg. bullshit quick "holding the ball" decisions and being told to move the ball on after blinking three times).
No it's not. It's over possessed because thats what the players are told to do. They take on opposition players at all costs, go backwards, put each other under the pump with shit handballs all in the name of keeping possession of the ball.
This is why true full forwards and centre half forwards no longer exist because they run the ball through the lines.
If there was such a thing as a true Centre Half Forward nowadays they would be suicidal due to the amount of leads not honoured due to last second shit handballs or an ill fated attempt to break a tackle.
Old 28-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Flat Four Father

I do agree with you that we no longer have as many as those great one on one match-ups of the 90's but I can't agree that it has much if anything to do with tagging or over-possession. All of those one on one spectacles of the past you mentioned were traditional full-forward vs full-back duals. Those traditional positions and players hardly exist anymore because of the very nature of our game these days - players playing multiple positions, going further up the ground, players swapping opponents more, etc. Having said that, I hate double-teaming of forwards so I probably view that much in the same way as you do tagging

I understand what you're saying, my old man has exactly the same train of thought (you're not 58 are you Burke?) but I guess I've trained my brain to evolve with the game and try not to think too much about the style of play, but rather the changes in how the game is umpired and stupid, pointless rule changes that have come about in recent years.
Old 28-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Flat Four Father

LOL, tender age of 37.

We are going to have to disagree. Players of yesteryear quiet often swapped position, Silvagni up to full forward etc to kick a clutch goal or two.
The biggest change is the possession of the ball and the carting of the ball over the lines. Truck loads of player rotations ( what the fuck is with kicking a goal and coming straight off!? Fuck that, before if a player kicked a goal they were so amped up they usually would kick a couple in a minute!
Rule changes have nothing to do with it ( the shittest is that now a marking 'contest' is no longer a contest as they are barely able to touch each other nowadays ), bought in by the AFL I believe to keep the game flowing because if no one marks it there are 20 players around the ball at the bounce.
Like it or not the game has changed, for the worse, and there is nothing that can be done.
Personally I blame Gerrard Neesham and his shit tactics when the Dockers first came into the game. Scott Chisolm running around in circles and hand passing it to a guy 10cm away with 3 guys on him all in the name of possession football.
ImPreSiV likes this.
Old 28-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Truck loads of player rotations (what the fuck is with kicking a goal and coming straight off!? Fuck that, before if a player kicked a goal they were so amped up they usually would kick a couple in a minute!
Agreed. This annoys me also.

Quote:
Rule changes have nothing to do with it ( the shittest is that now a marking 'contest' is no longer a contest as they are barely able to touch each other nowadays ), bought in by the AFL I believe to keep the game flowing...
That's the thing, rule changes have come about in order to speed up the game (or keep it going at pace/keep the game flowing as you said) and I personally think has a big impact on players and tactics in regards to over-possession and the style of play today

Anyway, when I said earlier that the game becoming scrappy due to umpiring and how certain rules are interpreted, etc. I wasn't saying that was the only reason and discounting what you said. I made that post sound like it was the only reason and that wasn't my intent

Tags
2012, afl, docker's will always be fucked - deal with it, lewhocares, season, wtf do yanks know about afl?