Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Starting to really dislike Lyon's game plan.
Out of interest:
2011 Round 7 ladder

2012 Round 7 ladder

We have kicked more goals, conceded less and are the same spot on the ladder. I like that Ross is working on our defensive side and we aren't getting pumped by 60+ points when we lose. Once we learn to transition better from defensive positioning into attack we will start winning by bigger margins

Hopefully by the end of the year we'll see the plan all coming together and have enough wins on the board while learning it to cruise into the finals and cause some trouble.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

^^ that's an interesting comparison
Old 14-05-2012, 11:23 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

Freo should have kept Harvey, The Lions are FLYING!!!
Old 14-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

LOL At the constant oh we have injury cries from you Budgee supporters FFS!

We also have 6 players out that would line up in our 22..............................

Also just a note for all you budgees. That was the first time you have played a top 8 side this year and YOU FAILED MISERABLY!!!! Dockers would have put up more of a fight than that.

Just going to leave this here

Dave I hear you need these back, there's an assortment, 61 of them I think, take one and pass it along to the rest of the Egirl supporters.

Love you all xxx
ImPreSiV and GTB Liberty like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 14-05-2012, 01:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

Hey that's Hams at the back!!
Old 14-05-2012, 01:43 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDocker View Post
Out of interest:
2011 Round 7 ladder

2012 Round 7 ladder

We have kicked more goals, conceded less and are the same spot on the ladder. I like that Ross is working on our defensive side and we aren't getting pumped by 60+ points when we lose. Once we learn to transition better from defensive positioning into attack we will start winning by bigger margins

Hopefully by the end of the year we'll see the plan all coming together and have enough wins on the board while learning it to cruise into the finals and cause some trouble.
Whilst I agree our "position" and stats are better - the style of play is "shit me tears". It may get the wins but is a poor play to watch.

If I want to watch players with a rolling maul style of play I'll go to a Western Force match. I've got 11 years as front row season ticket holder. I've watched a lot of Freo play and the current style of play is killing the supporters interest.

As Dave can attest to, our block has some hard core supporters that have been through thick n thin but still had the ability to have a laugh and enjoy even a losing game. We may have won yesterday but the supporters saw nothing but poor skills, terrible conversion in front of goal and were simply tired of watching marking players stand still waiting for a lead to arrive if it ever did.

Steven Hill and the likes can only chase down so many balls that have to be kicked over their head due to the flooding around the ball.

AFL . . . more like watching Auskick. Actually, the mid game break auskick game was more enjoyable to watch.

My 2 cents.
REXXXED likes this.
Old 14-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

^^Agree Andrew.
As a non dockers supporter. I will not be watching another Dockers game this season (unless its the derby). Purely because as a spectator, I would rather watch paint dry than watch another....
Old 14-05-2012, 02:08 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXXXED View Post
^^Agree Andrew.
As a non dockers supporter. I will not be watching another Dockers game this season (unless its the derby). Purely because as a spectator, I would rather watch paint dry than watch another....
Interestingly, the most enjoyable game to watch was the 1st game of the season in which we won against Geelong.

Perhaps the "Lyon's structure" hadn't sunk in yet but it was an exciting game with leading players, a lack of flooding and the rolling maul.

It was exciting, a goal fest, and a pleasure to watch as a supporter. It's been all down hill since then.
Old 14-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

I understand what you are saying, the style of play has definitely changed and at the moment it can seem a bit grating/boring but the guys are learning a new game style and still getting wins on the board.

I could be 100% wrong but my personal opinion is that Ross Lyon is focusing on the defensive side of the play more then anything right now because i.) we have never been a good defensive side & were often thrashed. ii.) He has used this method to good effect previously. iii.) we are already a pretty good attacking side. Once we stopped trying to play the lock down against Sydney we came back and almost beat them, same with Carlton. We need some practice to get the defensive & attacking sides working well together instead of one or the other with a big delay in switching between the two.

Ross said at the start of the year his plan involved us kicking over 100 points a game. Right now everyone is learning defensive positioning, locking down opponents and while it isn't pretty, we are doing a pretty good job of it. Where we are lacking at the moment, is switching from defensive positioning to attacking at the right times. The players are a bit worried about breaking off to early and as a result are breaking too late causing the hold up going into attack.

This style of play keeps us in games and even with our shaky transition into attack at the moment we have been in a position to win every game and if we had been kicking straight could easily be 7-0 or 6-1 at the moment. Once the style of play becomes second nature to the players, we will see them breaking off at the right times, it will be more exciting to watch and we'll be pumping teams by big margins. Until then, we are still winning while learning & I am prepared to watch a bit of "boring" footy if it means we win games and get a crack at the big one.

Last edited by MadDocker; 14-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 14-05-2012, 03:20 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Dockers knew what they were getting when they hired Rossy Lyons...welcome to ugly winning. After all the years of under achieving what have the Dockers got to lose? I can see the headlines now...Dockers win home final in front of 18,000 fans

Tags
2012, afl, docker's will always be fucked - deal with it, lewhocares, season, wtf do yanks know about afl?