Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Rotors - DBA or Project Mu? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/51003-rotors-dba-project-mu.html)

RUSSGT 13-09-2012 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=ALEX.;708905]People who are tracking their cars once a week are recommending you DO NOT upgrade your rotors at all; you can stick with OEM and they will be fine? Did I interpret that correctly?

The thing with forums is that unless you know the person making the comment and their experience (so you can put due weight behind their recommendation/advice/opinion) then it's hard to know who really has a clue what they're talking about![/QUOTE]
So true! I just had an arguement with some knob on ozfoz saying that fully synth oil "causes" glazed bores... Twat.

Sethi3 13-09-2012 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=ALEX.;708905]People who are tracking their cars once a week are recommending you DO NOT upgrade your rotors at all; you can stick with OEM and they will be fine? Did I interpret that correctly?

The thing with forums is that unless you know the person making the comment and their experience (so you can put due weight behind their recommendation/advice/opinion) then it's hard to know who really has a clue what they're talking about![/QUOTE]

I should've said this earlier, but I'm speaking mainly from an economical point of view. I should've also said buy rotors that are better than OEM one's (like those HD OEM replacement ones) but don't go too expensive as you'll wear them out really quickly by the amount of track time you'll be seeing.

If you're entering events with the mindset of coming out the top, then yes, by all means you'll want that extra 5% performance from better rotors.

End of the day, it's really how big you're willing to open your wallet.

Camm 02-11-2012 12:15 PM

Many thanks to everyone for all there advice. As of last weekend I fitted some dba4000s and project mu brake pads and am happy to say that they seem to be a great combo - no squeaking and compared to my pos oem ones they bite nicely.

One last Q however, as I set off to do some "bedding in" :D I noticed that my handbrake light was on but that my hand brake was disengaged. Since fitting the rotors the hand brake light hasn't gone off. Have I tripped a sensor or have i bumped/damaged the hat?

Jeckle 02-11-2012 03:34 PM

Handbrake or brake warning light?

Camm 04-11-2012 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;719695]Handbrake or brake warning light?[/QUOTE]

:confused: I thought it was the handbrake but it could be a warning light. It's a red exclamation mark in a circle (I haven't paid that much attention regarding the warning lights tbh - I've never had a problem before. I was under the impression it was a handbrake light). The ride feels perfect ie I don't feel resistance from the handbrake, there's no "wobble" under braking so Im stumped

Captain Awesome 04-11-2012 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=Camm;720005]:confused: I thought it was the handbrake but it could be a warning light. It's a red exclamation mark in a circle (I haven't paid that much attention regarding the warning lights tbh - I've never had a problem before. I was under the impression it was a handbrake light). The ride feels perfect ie I don't feel resistance from the handbrake, there's no "wobble" under braking so Im stumped[/QUOTE]

Pretty easy to diagnose which light it is...

Pull your hand brake> Does a new light come on? If no then it's your hand brake light, if yes it's your brake warning light.

(Please completely disregard if they have put the light in the same place O.O)

DukeDrifter 04-11-2012 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Camm;719675]Many thanks to everyone for all there advice. As of last weekend I fitted some dba4000s and project mu brake pads and am happy to say that they seem to be a great combo - no squeaking and compared to my pos oem ones they bite nicely.

One last Q however, as I set off to do some "bedding in" :D I noticed that my handbrake light was on but that my hand brake was disengaged. Since fitting the rotors the hand brake light hasn't gone off. Have I tripped a sensor or have i bumped/damaged the hat?[/QUOTE]

I had similar thing happen in my vtir civic after having my brakes serviced, was something to do with the abs after so hard breaking which engaged the abs light went away. If not have you checked your brake fluid levels ?

Kato 04-11-2012 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=Camm;719675]Many thanks to everyone for all there advice. As of last weekend I fitted some dba4000s and project mu brake pads and am happy to say that they seem to be a great combo - no squeaking and compared to my pos oem ones they bite nicely.

One last Q however, as I set off to do some "bedding in" :D I noticed that my handbrake light was on but that my hand brake was disengaged. Since fitting the rotors the hand brake light hasn't gone off. Have I tripped a sensor or have i bumped/damaged the hat?[/QUOTE]

Did you adjust the handbrake at the handbrake handle? If so, you've probably unplugged the sensor.

Camm 04-11-2012 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=DukeDrifter;720017]I had similar thing happen in my vtir civic after having my brakes serviced, was something to do with the abs after so hard breaking which engaged the abs light went away. If not have you checked your brake fluid levels ?[/QUOTE]

Ahh I did bleed the lines and yes the fluid levels have dropped but its not "low". I'll top it up tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

[QUOTE=Kato;720027]Did you adjust the handbrake at the handbrake handle? If so, you've probably unplugged the sensor.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't Kato but there has been a wee bit more play in the handbrakes action so I might check it out too. Cheers

_daz_ 04-11-2012 10:58 PM

You may have damaged the ABS sensor when fitting the rotors.