Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Rotors - DBA or Project Mu? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/51003-rotors-dba-project-mu.html)

Camm 12-09-2012 06:30 PM

Rotors - DBA or Project Mu?

Just after opinions/thoughts/experiences. Am looking at either DBA4000's or PMU SCR's (as they're both roughly $1000 for all four installed). My OEM rotors have a 3mm+ lip on them which is apparently not good :o (so skimming is not something im too interested in atm) .a lot of pwrx members seem to rate dba quite highly as a decent rotor and I'm happy with what I've read about them on the dba website and people's review etc. project Mu I know little about but they seem decent enough. Dba might have better heat distribution due it it's "kangaroo paw" design vs pmu SCR's Straight vein design??

kid 12-09-2012 06:37 PM

What do you use the car for

Camm 12-09-2012 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=kid;708749]What do you use the car for[/QUOTE]

As a daily/street use only at this stage. I'd definitely like to do some track days as soon as I have time so I'd like a product that can cope with the odd track day once in a blue moon.

Also read that pmu rotors have higher levels of carbon. From the 5minutes that I was paying attention in class I know higher carbon levels makes metal harder but does it make it wear faster too?

Sethi3 12-09-2012 06:49 PM

If you're using for street/spirited driving/occasional visit to the track, either would do you fine.

If you're thinking of tracking as often as Tommy there, buy cheap rotors and get very good pads. Pads are the one that do most of the stopping.

munya 12-09-2012 06:57 PM

not sure on the wear of the project mu rotors as i have never used them.. However I am running dba4000 and project poo hc+ pads all round and have no complaints and no they don't squeak as I also got the anti-squeak shims to stop this from project mu

Marti 12-09-2012 08:16 PM

Dba slotted rotors will do you well, I used to have them on my Silvia, tracked the car a fair bit and never had problems

Jeckle 12-09-2012 09:04 PM

Happy with my 4000s, but haven't tried the MUs.

muggz 12-09-2012 09:37 PM

Definitely don't do ''cheap'' rotors when doing track days... thats just bad advice!
If you're doing track days consider 4000's at a minimum!
However nothing bad to say about DBA 5000's and Ferodos 3000's when you playing epic track time :) . You could always consider dual setups, ie one for track and one for street (changing both rotors and pads on the fly)

BLUES 12-09-2012 09:38 PM

I'm a fan of PMu rotors over DBA but it's probably overkill for a daily.

Camm 12-09-2012 09:42 PM

Cheers guys, it sounds like dba4000's will be the way to go (slightly cheaper too :D). It seems to be a pretty mainstream type of kit. Still interested to hear from anyone who has decided to use project mu instead