Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 09:58 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Brodz at standard level
Default Motorbikes

Thinking of getting my bike licence. Not for daily commuting just weekend runs and to gym and back.

Anyone on here have one? What's the likelihood of death. General thoughts?

Looking at cbr250r.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
amtrapid likes this.
Old 17-07-2015, 10:31 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

I finally went and got my bike license last year.
Easy as, but worth having a lesson or two from an experienced instructor.

Stuff riding a 250 thought.
I like quirky old machines and wanted something with torque so I bought a 1983 GT550

[IMG][/IMG]

lAMS approved, did my test on it too.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:10 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Had ridden bikes for many years from 13 yo to 33, Is it dangerous yes , can it kill you yes . I've had 3 serious accidents all with cars and all related to not being seen. I gave riding away about 6 yrs ago when 33.

I really enjoyed riding but having a family and the inlaws frowning upon me constantly I sold up. At that stage I was working away and the bike wasnt getting as much use. All my road accidents were in traffic while commuting to work or from. Never had an issue with leisure rides country runs etc .

I found bike riding calming and a great escape from stress , you must be vigilant 120% of the time and ride to conditions . For your use id say less chance of having an accident . If you haven't ridden at all before ride with people that have for a good period of time . With bikes experience is everything.

Unfortunately these days you can be the safest rider on earth but 50% of bike accidents are other road users 20% inexperience (over confidence kills on a bike ) and 30% not riding to the conditions.

Do not skimp on safety gear buy the more expensive helmets and proper boots, gloves , jacket , pants and back and kidney protection. Expensive gear lasts longer is more comfortable to wear especially in summer helmets fog less in cold and is better made. You wouldn't buy a piece of rope to replace a seatbelt in a car don't skimp on safety.

goodluck have fun
phizzle, Insome, nick73 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by amtrapid; 17-07-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

+1 to using proper riding gear.

Laid my old Beemer down at 100km/hr on a wet clay road 20km east of Kal. Slid on my back for miles before ploughing into the grading bank on the side of the road. Even on wet clay I still got a small friction burn through three layers of clothing (yes riding pants, and no not lycra) on my arse cheek.

Bitumen would have torn me to pieces...
amtrapid likes this.
Old 17-07-2015, 12:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SolarFilms at standard level

if you committing 2 years for LAM's get a decent sized bike Cbr500 which lams compatible is something id look out or an enduro (exc500 ktm) or supermoto(Drz400). something thats fun that will teach you to ride with moderate power those 250's are really underpowered and have the skinniest tires that suck dick for grip and safety you will get bored of it aswell

250s are meh good fuel but, sound gay, look gay and perform gay(especially on freeway) unless you get wr250x hehehe it can be your 2nd "wrx " decent power and brakes.

And good gear cant be stressed enough no shorts or singlets(even in summer) ! trust me road rash hurts and cringe at people that wear fuck all.

I know im talking alot about perfomance which is retarted when comes to Lams bikes because their all slow technically

Much wow
many powerr
very siberu

Last edited by SolarFilms; 17-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 17-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Only one year for LAMS if you're on a full car licence already.

I just got my licence a few months ago. Bought myself a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 300 (because FIFO didn't want something without warranty). Gets 400+ km per tank ($20) around town.

Pros:
Cheap to run/insure and hold value well (2nd hands are around $5-6k)
Dished some chop to a 1340cc HD Dyna 😁 (until 100km/h)
No vibrations
Looks basically like a super sport (yes I can list all the diffences too, save your fingers those in the know)
Can lift front tyre off the ground 1st-2nd change, talking a few cms lol
Keeps up with the CBR500R, the two most recommended LAMS non MX style bikes
Cons:
Doesn't sound like a super sport
Isn't a super sport
Regular gear changes because it's a close ratio box, but I love changing gears because it keeps my mind on what I'm doing as well as keeping the revs in the +7000rpm range (goes to 13000)
amtrapid likes this.
Old 17-07-2015, 03:19 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rslib72 at standard level

I have been riding for a long time started on dirt bikes aged 8 and had several road bike mostly kwakas and honda's now aged 43 and have been lucky enough to have had no serious accidents. Throw in I ride one for a living have been a postie for 20 years. Yes they are dangerous similar amtrapid had a lot pressure to give up bikes and I did for a little while i had a young family and a must is the buy the best gear you can afford. As the saying goes how much is your head worth.

The good met some great people through bikes and always feel like something is missing if I don't have one. I would not commute into town on one everyday to many fuckwits (on bikes as well) two biggest tips I can give you don't fixate on things where you look is where you go and don't try to keep up with other riders who are better than you. Sure more people can give you some good advice.

Mark
amtrapid likes this.

Last edited by Rslib72; 17-07-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 17-07-2015, 03:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SolarFilms at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
Only one year for LAMS if you're on a full car already.

I just got my licence a few months ago. Bought myself a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 300 (because FIFO didn't want something without warranty). Gets 400+ km per tank ($20) around town.

Pros:
Cheap to run/insure and hold value well (2nd hands are around $5-6k)
Dished some chop to a 1340cc HD Dyna �� (until 100km/h)
No vibrations
Looks basically like a super sport (yes I can list all the diffences too, save your fingers those in the know)
Can lift front tyre off the ground 1st-2nd change, talking a few cms lol
Keeps up with the CBR500R, the two most recommended LAMS non MX style bikes
Cons:
Doesn't sound like a super sport
Isn't a super sport
Regular gear changes because it's a close ratio box, but I love changing gears because it keeps my mind on what I'm doing as well as keeping the revs in the +7000rpm range (goes to 13000)
Awesome! didn't know that I'm on P's so guess that apply to me and no licence holders.

the only problem I find on the ninja 300/250 physically its to small especially for taller riders. Havent ridden the 300 one only the ninja 250 and had to rev the shit out of it. Imagine the 300 fixes that?

Yea ahah love those Mx style bikes (raced motorcross couple years ago)

Much wow
many powerr
very siberu

Last edited by SolarFilms; 17-07-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 17-07-2015, 04:02 PM