Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Mark Webber to Red Bull in 2007 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/6669-mark-webber-red-bull-2007-a.html)

joeman 08-08-2006 01:10 PM

Kimi to Renault.... I think not. Renault's new boss has sent in a beancounter to Renault F1's HO. Flavio is not a happy man. He likes his independance. He still hasn't confirmed his intentions as yet. I think the drive may go to Kovaleien(sp) seeming as he is cheap. Fisi's make or break season next year? Damn right it is....
As much as I would like to see Kimi stay at McLaren, I don't think this will happen. He's off somewhere and the money is on Ferrari. Seems Massa is pleased with what will happen so this indicates that he may have inside knowledge. He now knows that he is not going to have to go to RBR or STR as these seats are now full. Hmmm.. will he settle for a testing role at Ferrari? Is he safe in the knowledge of a race drive? Will the german cheat retire? Stay Tuned Sportsfans!!!

LegacyGT 08-08-2006 02:00 PM

at least he might be able to finish a race in a red bull car.

poor bastid

teejay 08-08-2006 02:00 PM

I cant see a current Ferrari F1 driver being happy in a test driver role....

muggz 08-08-2006 06:22 PM

...bit of a shock that webber was dropped by williams.. after all the hype on webber being a big hopeful in f1 a few years back.. just make sure he gets it all together for red bull. amazing tho.. when something ''big'' like this happens.. its on tv , radio etc etc.. but come news on general rally/f1 etc its non-existent on media and its sad really.. im resorting to bit torrent for coverage!! :mad: ...

i didnt see the race on sunday but *watched* on formula1.com looked like a nice race to be staying up to watch.. and button finally taking a well deserved chequered flag.. anyone remember was it oz 06 when his car blew up like 100 mtrs from the start/finish!! bad luck...nice turn around.. should have happened earlier :D

muggz 08-08-2006 06:24 PM

williams are running cosworth this year? they should have whacked on some ford dfv engines from the 70's .. give em better reliability i would think hehe

[QUOTE=LegacyGT]at least he might be able to finish a race in a red bull car.

poor bastid[/QUOTE]

teejay 08-08-2006 07:00 PM

The reliability issues have had nothing to do with the Cosworth, every issue has been the supporting systems around the motor. Ford copping the blame for nothing. Motor seems to be decently grunty also.

Jimmy S 08-08-2006 11:17 PM

It will be good to see Webber running around in a reliable car... With Red Bull hopefully dropping in a Ferrari motor in the car... should make him pretty competitive!! :D

joeman 09-08-2006 09:10 AM

Competitive in the mid-field that is...

Denver 09-08-2006 10:00 AM

theres a massive thread on performance forums about this, but the move could go either way, personally i think its a good move for him, while not a works drive, RBR has a _lot_ going for them, not only do they have a pile of financial backing, they've been out there for a couple years now, and with running two teams as such this year will have a huge amount of data to work with..

and aside from people crashing out, have had very few mechanical failures, and will next year be going fezza/reno motor anyway..

David coulthart has many many years of experience, Mark is still learning, DC will be an excellent mentor for him, I expect webber will be quicker than DC outright, but DC will be able to coach him in the finer points of keeping it together..

Lets face it, webber has had exceptional pace all year round, its rare for him to qualify outside of the top ten, and a good portion of that hes been in the top 5, he usually has a good race when the car lasts the distance, and with relibility, and a car thats a bit more sorted, will be able to put it to the top guys, i won't say webber for champ in 07, but in 08, if RBR goes even better than it has this year, he will be a serious contender for an 08 championship hitout i feel.. RBR certainly have all the technical nouse they need to get him to the front, and with DC doing some coaching and guidance, i reckon he can get his race's together, as his qualifying is excellent, somretimes his race just lets him down..

time will tell tho, but i figure its a good move, personally, i think the big teams are keeping an eye on him for a seat later, as they may feel he just needs to mature a bit more into it, he is however, one of the most dedicated drivers to F1, and tells it how it is, something ive got a lot of respect for, hes put up with williams for the past two years of dreadful results, and while always showing his disapointment, has always explained what went wrong, but also come back with encouragement for the team, he knows its a two sided card, they want him to do well, and they have improved in time, but something always catches them out...

Hopefully RBR will keep it together and give him the car and season he deserves..

teejay 09-08-2006 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=joeman]Competitive in the mid-field that is...[/QUOTE]

Dreams.

Every team Newey has touched has won. Williams, Mclaren, both won WDC and WCC under him. Every one of those teams had a mint motor too... RBR is getting either Renault or Ferrari firepower next season. They have big dollars and resources, and an entire second team to help them with data etc etc (no matter what anyone says they are bedfellows).

Dont be so quick to right them off.