Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN
Default What in the weld?!

Here's an unusual request, but bear with me...

Looking for a professional welder who has a lot of patience and a bit of free time (which will be paid) to help my old man finish building his project car.

Backstory is that my dad bought a Triumph TR250, which he began restoring. When he got into it, it was a lot worse than he thought, and being a bit of a perfectionist, he decided to start from scratch. So three years later, it's a now a new rolling chassis, with all the running gear refurbished and upgraded and a mixture of old (where they were in good nick) and new panels (imported from the UK, in various standards of fitment - some of the old press patterns are obviously a bit worn) currently tek screwed together in the right places. It's all been set up on a jig and everything is aligned perfectly - probably way better than the original car ever rolled out of the Triumph factory.

Now 'all' he needs is someone who can plug weld thin sheet metal so that he can slowly go through removing all the tek screws and finally get this car finished.

He has a decent workshop setup and all the gear, and I presume it would take several weekends of tinkering to get it where he needs it. This request is coming from my mum, who wants to pay someone to help the old man, as a gift for his 60th birthday next month. I'm guessing, anyone stupid enough to take this on would need to view the project so far and give us an estimate of time/cost, so let me know if you're keen and we'll arrange a catch up.

Here's hoping we can finally see this gorgeous car come to life.

Jamie
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 19-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Jamie, what are the replacment pannels ? Cold galvanised sheet ? Or ?

Is the car on a turn table ?

I cam pass this on
Old 19-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Jamie, what are the replacment pannels ? Cold galvanised sheet ? Or ?

Is the car on a turn table ?

I cam pass this on
Erm, not 100% sure, but I think they're just pre-primed. They definitely don't look like galvanised bare metal...

No, the car is fixed to the floor via 4 posts connected to the hubs, about 500mm off the floor. He's then constructed a frame at front and rear with string lines down the sides to line everything up.
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 19-05-2017, 09:05 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Happy to blow holes through one side of the car untill i get the hang of it.

Having said that i was able to tig up my new exhaust onto my old muffler. Which was 1.6mm joining to 1mm.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Happy to blow holes through one side of the car untill i get the hang of it.

Having said that i was able to tig up my new exhaust onto my old muffler. Which was 1.6mm joining to 1mm.
Lol, that's about as far as my old man got too. He's not too bad at the welding, but not being a professional, it takes him ages and he faffs about too much. Needs someone who knows what they're doing with old British cars to get him on track
Old 19-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Sir AntiLag

Found some shots on my phone from before he put the panels on it...

Tags
weld