Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

Broomy at standard level
Default IT Help "wireless" P.S- (I did a search first.)

Because of some great personal information threads going around, I noticed there are a few IT boffins in the ranks...

I need help with the wireless setup in my office?? My conection keeps crashing recently with a very weak signal from the D-Link router. This is a pain in the arse because my POS till's go down when I loose the link. (they are wireless conected to backoffice)

It has been set up the same way fow 12 months with all being good I think somebody in the building (other office's) has brought a new bit of electronic equipment that could stuffing up my air waves!!!!! Would this be true & if so what would it be so I can start tracking it down....

My office is directly above my restaurant and the D-Link router and computer are only meters apart through the slab, so its not a distance thing.

Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18-08-2006, 03:01 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Booga at standard level

My DLINK started playing up after 12 or so months with signal dropouts - requiring it to be power cycled daily to resume operations. Have since replaced it with a new one and all is well.

I have heard that some cordless phones (2.4Ghz ?) can cause interference - a bit hard to track down - maybe switch the channel in use for your network.

You can use something like NETSTUMBLER to search for other WLAN signals from nearby offices.

Do you have any level of security / encryption to prevent unwanted intruders
Old 18-08-2006, 03:14 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

EvilCabbage at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomy
only meters apart through the slab, so its not a distance thing.
You'd be surprised what can interfere.

Anyway, first thing I would recommend is not running a till system on a wireless network. I'd never do it sir. When dealing with money, gotta have the best available, and a solid, wired connection is the best thing for that job

That said, if you're dead keen on wireless, go into any good computer retailer (PLE or somebody) and pick up a ninja spec antenna.

I picked up a 5db unit from Dick Smith for about $70, overpaid a bit but it's a really nice addition and extended my strength a good amount.

From there, I'd really recommend getting someone to come and look at the lay out and setup, see what can possibly be making life hard for you.
Old 18-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

Broomy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga
My DLINK started playing up after 12 or so months with signal dropouts - requiring it to be power cycled daily to resume operations. Have since replaced it with a new one and all is well.

Do you have any level of security / encryption to prevent unwanted intruders
Revenge of the nerds!!!!!

I rang the fine peeps at iinet and they suggested the power down cycle but we seem to be doing it every 45min when the system crashes. I have no idea how to change the channel but that idea sounds good. My computer picks up about 4-5 other networks near by. It could be the new ANZ bank that moved in next door??? they would have some fancy gizmos running in there....
Old 18-08-2006, 04:09 PM
STI Master

LegacyGT at standard level

pistol pete has always recommended running it at 11MBit for stability and distance? so try that.
Old 18-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

GREXS at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomy
Revenge of the nerds!!!!!

I rang the fine peeps at iinet and they suggested the power down cycle but we seem to be doing it every 45min when the system crashes. I have no idea how to change the channel but that idea sounds good. My computer picks up about 4-5 other networks near by. It could be the new ANZ bank that moved in next door??? they would have some fancy gizmos running in there....
Errrrr.... have u tried to change Channel on your wireless. By default, usualy channel 6, try to change channel 11. And dun forget to put in password

If u dun know how to change password, tell me what is your wireless device brand (ie. DLINK, Netgear, etc.etc) hopefully i can find the manual from internet

Tags
ps, search, wireless