Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Makes you wonder if they left out the cars they knew would beat it. There was a whole special 1 off issue done by wheels on the VE comodore.
No liberty or Impreza tested. Very strange.
I think the new VE has a mean stance, but to me it's still a holden. I have never driven one (VE) but would like to, just for a comparison. Holden should honestly go for something thats more economical. They are an expensive car to own and they don't hold their value at all. Perfect car? :-P
Old 24-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Liberty or Impreza arent considered different enough to test as a brand new model..
Old 24-01-2007, 11:09 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxdass
gimmi a new clubsport over a Sti anyday
Sure just give holden dealer an extra $20-25k no problem. Then expect to lose 20% of value once you drive it off the lot. Poor resell value = commonwhore clubsport, SS, VE, whatever!
Old 24-01-2007, 07:50 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

I went from a wrx to a VE SS.
Why??
Why not? At 300+ kg heavier than a wrx and can run a better 1/4 when both in stock form! (anyone see the stock ve ss's run a 13.3 and 13.5 at plex?)
I test drove the new wrx and the ss, and the ss was ALOT more (IMO) fun to drive. The steering, handling, instant power and space are so much better than previous model commonwhores. The people that think they are the same old car have either 1: not driven 1 for more than a day (im not talking about a 5 min test drive) and 2: have no reason other than to bag the car.
My oldies have always had HSV's and i was a avid jap car lover (except for the oldschool like torries, XY's and the like) but after taking this car for a drive and doing some research on the motors (especially the USA aftermarket info) was sold easily. There is ALOT of potential in these cars ( HP-F 10.9sec single turbo kit springs to mind)
I absolutely love my wrx's, always have and always will. But this car really changed my view on barge cars.
As for fuel consumption, its fuck all compared to my old rex. Still get around 12.5-13.8ltr per 100km after giving it shit around the place. (these cars run very rich from factory)
Like any car, you only use as much fuel as you choose too! Drive your car like a granny and you'll use that amount of fuel!

The special on the 'billion dollar baby' that wheels did was due to being given ALOT of info, photos, how the car began, what was involved, test drive vehicles and the ins-and-outs of the VE series. Seen subaru, ford, mitsubishi or anyone do that? Comes down to marketing, and for holden they had the money to do such a thing. Same thing would happen if subaru gave the same amount of info. (Then again, it is aussie magazine and about a aussie car so )
We all know subaru and evo's get GREAT feedback towards BFYB etc in these mags.

And in regards to resale, i dont know about you guys but i dont buy cars to try to get the most back on it when i sell it. I buy it cause i like it and it fits what i want to do to it. Can someone say resale value on a rex?

The reason the VE won - 2 engines, 5 states of tune (stock 6, gas 6, hi-po 6, 8, hsv8), 4 transmissions (4 speed auto,5speed auto, 6 speed auto, 6speed manual), 4 suspension set ups (stock, FE2, Calais/statesman, MRC) 6 wheel and tire combos, different interior combos/setups
IE: there is a range from base to hi-po unlike the other 'new' cars of 2006 (read: not series 2 but new designed cars)

Not trying to start a shit fight guys, but just putting the info on the table.
PS; i would own a peanut STi (from new) over my VE SS. Unfortunately i couldnt find one with 9kms on it.

Last edited by [I 86 I]; 24-01-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 25-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

duno, i would take anything more decent IMO, over the Sti.
we drive a jap commodore after all, nothign to bat over.
EURO FTW!!!1111
Old 25-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Scoobie Noobie

scotts17 at standard level
Default Holden

Just another bucket of shit.
After having Holdens and Fords, I got sick of losing thousands of dollars in depreciation.
Build shit
Resale shit
16L motor, gearbox museum
They have a long way to go to beat the japs
Old 25-01-2007, 11:02 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X]
I went from a wrx to a VE SS.
Why??
Why not? At 300+ kg heavier than a wrx and can run a better 1/4 when both in stock form! (anyone see the stock ve ss's run a 13.3 and 13.5 at plex?)
I test drove the new wrx and the ss, and the ss was ALOT more (IMO) fun to drive. The steering, handling, instant power and space are so much better than previous model commonwhores. The people that think they are the same old car have either 1: not driven 1 for more than a day (im not talking about a 5 min test drive) and 2: have no reason other than to bag the car.
My oldies have always had HSV's and i was a avid jap car lover (except for the oldschool like torries, XY's and the like) but after taking this car for a drive and doing some research on the motors (especially the USA aftermarket info) was sold easily. There is ALOT of potential in these cars ( HP-F 10.9sec single turbo kit springs to mind)
I absolutely love my wrx's, always have and always will. But this car really changed my view on barge cars.
As for fuel consumption, its fuck all compared to my old rex. Still get around 12.5-13.8ltr per 100km after giving it shit around the place. (these cars run very rich from factory)
Like any car, you only use as much fuel as you choose too! Drive your car like a granny and you'll use that amount of fuel!

The special on the 'billion dollar baby' that wheels did was due to being given ALOT of info, photos, how the car began, what was involved, test drive vehicles and the ins-and-outs of the VE series. Seen subaru, ford, mitsubishi or anyone do that? Comes down to marketing, and for holden they had the money to do such a thing. Same thing would happen if subaru gave the same amount of info. (Then again, it is aussie magazine and about a aussie car so )
We all know subaru and evo's get GREAT feedback towards BFYB etc in these mags.

And in regards to resale, i dont know about you guys but i dont buy cars to try to get the most back on it when i sell it. I buy it cause i like it and it fits what i want to do to it. Can someone say resale value on a rex?

The reason the VE won - 2 engines, 5 states of tune (stock 6, gas 6, hi-po 6, 8, hsv8), 4 transmissions (4 speed auto,5speed auto, 6 speed auto, 6speed manual), 4 suspension set ups (stock, FE2, Calais/statesman, MRC) 6 wheel and tire combos, different interior combos/setups
IE: there is a range from base to hi-po unlike the other 'new' cars of 2006 (read: not series 2 but new designed cars)

Not trying to start a shit fight guys, but just putting the info on the table.
PS; i would own a peanut STi (from new) over my VE SS. Unfortunately i couldnt find one with 9kms on it.
$$$ to burn huh! I think some of us do care about resale value. Have a look at resale ratings in motor mags and then tell me you don't care! Flame suit on!
Old 25-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

As much as i dislike Holden (and i've grown up with them in my family for the last 23 years) the new ones do seem better than a standard WRX. When you look at power to weight, its fairly close too and while the STi is in a different league, its also in a different price range.

I do agree that buying an Aussie car (well actually most cars) brand new is a big waste of money (but perhaps [W ARGHH X] is well off and comfortable in his finances??) but second hand they can be a good buy. Also some people like to have a brand new car.

Also i dont think theres all that much difference in build qualities. WRX's certainly arent BMW's and the like
Old 25-01-2007, 11:38 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
As much as i dislike Holden (and i've grown up with them in my family for the last 23 years) the new ones do seem better than a standard WRX. When you look at power to weight, its fairly close too and while the STi is in a different league, its also in a different price range.

I do agree that buying an Aussie car (well actually most cars) brand new is a big waste of money (but perhaps [W ARGHH X] is well off and comfortable in his finances??) but second hand they can be a good buy. Also some people like to have a brand new car.

Also i dont think theres all that much difference in build qualities. WRX's certainly arent BMW's and the like
price comparions might be good starting point for this thread. 07 STI = $62k on road. Commodore S/S = ??, VE = $$, etc
Old 25-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

1. Select an engine/transmission type:
Commodore SS 6.0L 6-speed manual Generation 4 Alloy V8 $44,990.00 RRP*
Commodore SS 6.0L 6-speed automatic with Active Select Generation 4 Alloy V8 $46,990.00 RRP

Thats according to Holdens website before any of the add on stuff. NFI how much ORC's are? Would it be 3 or 4K?

Either way, its like comparing apples to oranges and keep in mind the truely legendary Camira and the Leyland P76 or something once won COTY Wheels also seem very Holden biased too, but perhaps thats how they make more money.

Perhaps it didnt deserve the win? Maybe it did but stupid comments like "its a bucket of shit" is hardly the public opinion if they are selling well.

Last edited by Mat; 25-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Tags
2006, car, wheels, year