Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Other ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/other-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   Uprated map sensor. Who is using one? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/other-ecu-discussion/13909-uprated-map-sensor-who-using-one.html)

SCOOTER 20-07-2007 07:16 PM

Uprated map sensor. Who is using one?

I will be getting the link installed in the near future and plan on uprating the std map sensor. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a Holden map sensor can be used as an upgrade on a wrx. Just wondering what my options are.

Cheers
SC :) :) TER

jEstEr? 21-07-2007 12:30 AM

I'm on crack!

BALISTC 21-07-2007 12:59 AM

He is talking about the MAP sensor.

What sort of boost you wanting to run? The stock MAP sensor is fine in the large majority of applications. Don't change something you dont have to change.

SCOOTER 21-07-2007 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]He is talking about the MAP sensor.

What sort of boost you wanting to run? The stock MAP sensor is fine in the large majority of applications. Don't change something you dont have to change.[/QUOTE]

I heard that the factory one is good for 18psi which is fine, but I would like the option to run more boost if required (eg 20psi - not really anymore) Can the link be tuned around this?

Cheers
SC :) :) TER

tuna 21-07-2007 03:09 PM

the stock gc8 one falls over around 1.55 bar (although some have been able to clock higher)
the stock gda/b sensor falls over around 1.64 bar (although again, some have been able to clock higher)

your options for MAP sensors are AC Delco 300kpa sensors, or Texas Instruments 500kpa sensors. these are the industry standard aftermarket sensors for motec/autronic etc.

bear in mind the AC Delco 300kpa will support up-to 2bar positive manifold pressure, which makes it interesting if you plan to run that much boost, as overboosts are hard to regulate or capture without wideband.

the stock map sensor can be tricked into seeing more boost by scaling it with a pill, the only issue with this is the competancy of the tuner and the resolution of your ECU to be able to cater to the extra loading. i would not suggest big boost on 10 row links.

SCOOTER 21-07-2007 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=tuna]the stock gc8 one falls over around 1.55 bar (although some have been able to clock higher)
the stock gda/b sensor falls over around 1.64 bar (although again, some have been able to clock higher)

your options for MAP sensors are AC Delco 300kpa sensors, or Texas Instruments 500kpa sensors. these are the industry standard aftermarket sensors for motec/autronic etc.

bear in mind the AC Delco 300kpa will support up-to 2bar positive manifold pressure, which makes it interesting if you plan to run that much boost, as overboosts are hard to regulate or capture without wideband.

the stock map sensor can be tricked into seeing more boost by scaling it with a pill, the only issue with this is the competancy of the tuner and the resolution of your ECU to be able to cater to the extra loading. i would not suggest big boost on 10 row links.[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, I will prob go no more than 18psi then (for now), or poss look into getting a gda/b sensor. I realise the link isn't the best computer out there, but I don't think I have reached the 'need a motec' stage yet!!!

What map sensor are you using on your car? Std one?

WRXTASY 21-07-2007 03:16 PM

I have the upgraded proper Link ECU MAP (555 or GM I think) sensor setting around here somewhere if anyone needs one.
There is an option in the V5 Link ECU to run this too with no probs.

J

tuna 21-07-2007 03:33 PM

TI500 sensor, for around 2.5 bar boost at this stage.

reason for avoiding big boost on the LINK is purely because of the table size, the resolution between rows is very gappy and incrementing each load axis by 20-40 kpa can be dangerous if not tuned correctly.

ECU's tend to interpolate between cells in a linear fashion, rather then a 'curve' which will make the tune inefficent and somewhat dangerous on the ignition table.

good reason to turn off antilag or get as many rows as possible.

[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~tuna/motec/map-steps.jpg[/img]

WRXTASY 21-07-2007 04:10 PM

Just had a look, Possumlink V5 + 44s has only 10 MAP rows between 0-29 PSI.

Approx. 2 MAP rows only between 18-25 PSI.

4.35 PSI between MAP rows too.

------------------------------------

What Tuna is trying to say in plain speak is that in the critical areas of the Link ECU map such as high Boost*RPM the Link ECU lacks the resolution to provide the fine detailed tuning you want.

SCOOTER 21-07-2007 06:13 PM

I don't intend on using antilag or rotation as I know this uses up the rows and is for wank factor only. As for the GDA/B map sensor this should be a direct replacement yeah? :confused: